Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

1st Time w/ Peel Mill, Need parameter advice

Dave.L

Greetings All,

I want to give the peel mill cycle a try but I am a little nervous since this is a one-off fixture.

I have a slot that is 1.00" Wide x .70" Deep x 6.00" long (open on the ends). I plan to use a 5 flute Kennametal variable endmill. Material is A36 hot rolled steel.

I would appreciate some advice for the cut parameters such as"

-Rounding Radius (I have it set at .2)

-Step over (I have it set at .06)

-Back feedrate (I have it at the default of 100)

Should I use Micro lift?

Thanks in advance!!

quote:

I would appreciate some advice for the cut parameters such as"

-Back feedrate (I have it at the default of 100)

Should I use Micro lift?

I like the micro lift feature, it should help with drag on the tip of the cutter if you use it.

As far as back feedrate is concerned, I usually go as fast as possible.

Dave,

We did something similar recently.

Run 1xD DOC.

150m/min surface speed

0.1mm/tooth feedrate

Radial cut of 1mm

Rounding radius of 1.5mm

We prog back feedrate the same value as the feed. This way the post doesn't output feed on every line. This is better for experimenting and trying/editing at the machine.

I've never used microlift. The post here ref false brinelling has frightened me to death...

If you're in any doubt, throw a bit of ally in the vice and get a feel for what the machine will behave like.

If your machine parameters aren't set well, it will bang around and you won't want that.

HTH

With the right variable endmill I would not bother with peel mill. Just yesterday I ran an 1/2 Imco Powerfeed in A-36. 3800 RPM, 38 IMP. full width cut, 3/8" deep. Ran dry with air blast.....It worked amazingly well. I actually got the parameters from this video...

(and that vid is in 4130!)

So a different approach would be run down the centerline of your slot with 2 depth cuts, then at full depth take out the sides.

However...using a peel toolpath you might be able to speed things up at full depth. Say 7500 RPM with 100IPM feed with a 10% stepover with a backfeed of whatever your max is.

JMC,

I run these tools at 5000 RPM, 1 x D, 50 IPM all the time. But, with the tool engaged 100% it does effect the tool life.

It seems to me that the peel mill cycle is really just a way of side milling thru the slot thus not engaging the full diameter of the tool.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It's valuable is you're able to get desirable results.

The SSM toolpaths enable be to do amazing things on a 30 taper Robodrill easily that previously I had to do the hardway.

quote:

It's valuable is you're able to get desirable results.

IMHO, the more people contribute the better. Part of my intent with the database is to get broad user input, and to make it legitimate have questions & data fields relating to ones overall experience, expertise, and confidence in the numbers. A rookie with good results out-of-the-box is a valuable asset, as long as we all know such.

OK, here is what I did:

Slot 1.00" wide x .70 Deep x 6.00 Long

A36 Hot Rolled Steel

Kennametal 5 Flute 1/2" Endmill UCDE500J5BS KC643M

5000 RPM, 100 IPM

Rounding Rad .2

Stepover .06

Backfeedrate 120 IPM (should have been way faster)

Depth Cuts .25 (Should have been deeper)

Cut like butter. I will post the data to Rizzo's database.

quote:

Hey Dave how do you like your 510c machine....Was thinking about picking one up.

We have a 410A also - same machine but smaller travels.

These are great machines for the money. I don't have experience with the Matrix controls which are on them now. I have issues with some stuff related to running g-code on the fusion controls. I don't care for the screen layout and a few other minor things but the machines are very accurate, very fast, etc.

Our next mill will probably be a Mori

Yeah I've got that same answer from a few people. Do you know what type of tool clamping mazak uses? I’ve been told that there are several ways that machine manufactures use. Ball bearings on the retention knobs, and others use some type of collet lock on the retention knobs. I’ve seen the ball bearing type leave big impressions on the retention knob, and was told not to buy a machine, which uses this type...