Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing leaving material

Mic6

I'm trying to surface finish parallel. The corner you see is the downslope and it goes up to the right. I've tried offsetting containment, changing the machining angle and a bunch of other junk, and I can't get the tool to remove the little bits of material you see in the corners. I created a hole fill surface in the open area as a check surface, but that level isn't visible. Any ideas why it's not cutting up to the edge in the corners? banghead.gif TIA

2q0qer8.jpg

Drive only it dips into the open area, cuts to deep in those corner areas.

Under

Finish Parameters>Adavnced Settings>at solid face edge roll tool, I've tried all 3 options without a check, and it dips into the open area. The only way I've made it work is to create a surface over the entire open area, and finish all that air, but that's a waste.

If the surface you're trying to cut is flat or a single surface, ie. a flat boundary type entity, just select the one surface as drive and no check surfaces. Use edge curves for containment. Use cut extension parameter to extend cut beyond surface edge.

I'm thinking it's the check surfaces that are limiting the cut. Also, selecting the vertical surfaces as Drive will cause the tool to roll over the edge.

Not at work now, so can't test this theory....

From the looks of the pic, nothing protrudes or is tangent to the mounting face so I'd say try:

Gap settings, tangential line length, add about .05.

Advanced, only between surfaces.

Zig Zag if possible to keep the tool down.

Raster kinda sux IMO. If I had to monkey with different tool paths, I'd try SF Blend with the across option, or projection.

Extending the surfaces seems drastic in this case.

Prosin, I tried gap settings @ .5 to .7 and followed edges. It looks like it helped a bit. The Gap settings are shown in the first pic. The second pic shows what the toolpath looks like with out a check surface filling the inside.

34qvki9.jpg

Without a check surface, the toolpath dips in and gouges the edges that are parallel with the cut direction.

2qxxfd5.jpg

But the corner details that are perpindicular to the cut direction are cut nicely.

1z5hjzq.jpg

Thanks for all the help so far

Still trying... curse.gif

Cool. Ocean Lacky gets some of the credit also as I believe he was thinking along the same lines with "cut extension parameter".

Checks and boundaries are usually not required on a TOP surface like that with SF Parallel. Since the holes are filled and I don't see any islands or bosses in the vicinity, I didn't think there was a need to mess with the default "300% of step over" in the gaps settings.

BTW, I set all my surfacing op defaults to "Advanced, only between surfaces" then tweak if necessary. I found that with most of the surfacing tool paths that I use, that setting wins out the majority of the time.

If ya don't mind, post a pic of your tool path and what setting were used so that others can use benefit as well.