Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plunge Roughing

PE @ IHS

Hello folks

A customer asked me recently about how effective the plunge roughing toolpath is within MC. I replied that I have never tried it and have not seen it done.

Has anyone on the forum used this toolpath to rough out deep cavities? Did you use a flat drill or a milling tool?

thanks for any help

Peter Eigler

Hi Peter E ,

I use plunge roughing often to remove bulks of material quickly. I use a 3 or 4 flute centercut end mill. Your tool is much stronger when you cut in the axial direction and you can take a large chip load per tooth when you plunge. Of course the material you are cutting is the determining factor on how you are going to remove material, I use plunge roughing on Aluminum, steel, and plastics. Hope this helps.

Mike

• 11 months later...

I finally found a fairly easy way to control the plunge rough toolpath just yesterday.

I uploaded a sample file of the toolpath to the MC9files, directory on Cadcams site.

plunge_from_nci.mc9

I used the method "from nci" , wich was a multi-pass contour at the final depth of the plunge. You can control the axial stepover in the parameters and with the offset of your multi-passes.

Good luck and have a great day.

Jeremiah

[ 09-11-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Jeremiah ]

I have used this path w/ 2.0 & 3.0 dia

Sandvik (390) cutters. But like everything else

each job is usually an individual and needs

to be tweaked a little different. I always

find the (what appears to be) simplest

feature and start w/ that one. Then play around

w/ it, mix some switches up and so on. Thats the only way we learn, is to be the knuckle-head

that has tried this or that. Don't be afraid

flip that switch.

PEACE biggrin.gif