Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to rough out allot of material around a 3D surface?

nickelback

I would like to know what methods work the best for roughing material? I know Rough Parallel works good, Rough Pocket works good. I know there is more to it than just picking the surface and picking a Roughing command. I guess I need to know some tricks that would help me to have the knowledge of 3D machining frown.giffrown.gif

Hello all,

I don't know what type of shape you have but if you can, I would suggest that you use plunge milling. This is a great and easy solution that removes a lot of material in a short time plus, it is not hard on the machine.

Hope this helps...

I second molds suggestion. I try to use the pocket selection under "Surface"/"Rough" as much as I can. There are a couple of tricks in the tool parameter settings when it comes right down to controlling your cutter. And like mold said, creating a boundary is key. Once you get all your geometry selected, what I found with myself is, it's best to make one little "tweek" in the parameters, sort of a trial and error, and regen your toolpath to see what's changed. Do it a couple different time to get a feel for how you can actually control the cutter.

Experimenting with the parameter switches is key until you can get a feel for how you personally want to drive your cutter.

Good Luck!

If your cutter choice permits, and the geometry is a pocket, use the power of ramping and watch the chips fly. I love to watch the machine do a helical move into a pocket but if the control will only accept linear line segments for this feature then the code can get kind of long. Use of a bull mill style tool with a depth of cut a little below 1/4 of the insert (ie .118 doc on a .500 button insert) will allow impressive feedrates with the most secure edge known to man.

With the cry of the valkeries playing loudly in the background and some maniac yelling "Charlie Doesn't Machine!!" you will have the most fun of all your life.

Good Morning

For most stuff I use the -ruff -pock -option then make a small change and regen, the way that Slick discribes.

Some times I make a simple temp surface to ramp in from the top of a mold cavity to the max depth,then use parallel cuts from left to right,now that my cuts are at max depth, delete the temp surf, and cut from right ot left.

This will not work for everything but on some stuff it is unbeatable .

This Surface Rough Pocket routine is great. One problem that i cant resolve is if I select "run finish pass". It will also run finish pass around boundary. This is ok if im actuall cutting pocket, but with outer surfaces its cutting air.

Any parameter I am missing, to have it just run finish pass about surfaces?

Thanks Chris for the clarification... I'm getting old and can't remember the finer points of life. I should watch this with my 2 yearold son, as of late all we watch is "Thomas the Tankengine" My favorite quote from there is "James is a splendid engine!" Are there other James' that this could apply to? wink.gif

[ 10-18-2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]