Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Roughing endmills

nickelback

Climb mill always, Its safer (Your cutter pushes away),You can feed more aggresively,You get a much better surface finish even with a roughing endmill,and last but not least longer tool life.I hope no one will argue these points.Maybe I could be wrong but alls well on the milling front here. biggrin.gif

95% of the time climb cutting is prefferable

to conventional cutting.

I can think of two case where conventional cutting is better.

When cutting material that has been case harded or flame cut, tools will last longer with

conventional cutting. Climb cutting a hard surface will dull the endmill quickly because

it's hitting the hardened surface every cut.

Milling convetionally, the tool is cutting from the inside-out and is less effected by the hardened surface.

Another good place for convetional cutting is

when millling across the end of a thin wall.

The wall may chatter a little when milled conventionally, but climb millling it will pull the wall into the tool and bend it.

I'm sure the folks on this forum can come up with a few more.

Good points,I am sure there will be many more,The hard stuff I personally still climb only because of the wonderful tool coatings of today.I would more than likely try the rib also leaving a fair amount of stock during semi,then finishing all at once in smaller step downs with a back drafted cutter to relieve tool pressure.This is a hypothitical situation considering the smallest ribs I mill is 3/32 and usually always at least 1 degree of draft,Thats alot differant than what most others rib machine.