Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Post Writing Class?

Sandybar

Anybody know of any Post writing class or seminar. I would like to know more about Master Cam post and its properties. I wrote many post for Smart Cam for years, but we migrated to Master Cam and I have tried to modify post and have had sucess with the little things but no real good luck on the bigger things.

Any help fo me?

There's also a fairly descent book on posts. It may be outdated for current version of MC, but most issues will be covered. Also, if you've done other posts, or any kind of Basic or Visual basic, you can look through MPMaster.pst and get lots of good ideas.

HTH

'Rekd

[ 03-10-2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

I have a book called "post processor for mill, lathe & wire"? It is for V6 and was put out by CNC software in September 1997. It is outdated on some stuff but still useful to me. It's book code number is ISBN 1-883310-00-8. I believe we got it when we purchased V7 a few years ago from the training center in Gig Harbour Wa.

Good luck.

Phil

I smell freshly cut grass - who is trying to mow the lawn of the VARs and other postmen?

Its like this - If I show you how to do my Job, then what would I do? Is this the reason there isn't many VARs offering post classes? To use and overcome the limitations of software, one must be able to write/modify post processors.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Andrew,

I don't think it's as much as the VAR's not wanting to show people how to do it, I think it's probably more of a liability thing, and there's probably only 10% or less of the programmers out there actually competent(sp?)enough to comprehend what they are being taught.

JM2C

James

there's probably only 10% or less of the programmers out there actually competent(sp?)enough to comprehend what they are being taught.

Boy that would probably offend somebody IF it wasn't true smile.gif

I have done just enough post work to make an existing one fit my machines, doing this by trial and error, but it's all Greek to me.

[ 03-11-2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: mark l ]

I used to teach a post class here at In-House. Over the years I've seen Mastercam broaden and deepen, the machine tools get more complex, and the posts get far more intricate. I've polled former students on their efforts following the class. Most say that their eyes were opened to what is possible, but in many cases still contracted us to do the work, having already paid for the training to do it themselves.

Although there will be exceptions (e.g. full-time Mastercam Champion handling support and customization for a large number of seats in a large, potentially multi-facility company) I generally find that for our customers the quickest, most cost effective route to a customized post is to have us take on the work. If you're using Mastercam, your job is likely to generate NC programs. For most new customers, worrying about editing your own post takes away from learning Mastercam itself.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

There are a lot of programmers also who can not read G-code!

Is this a problem? Count me in there. If I had to write an intricate manual program to save my life..... I'd be dead. I honestly don't see the need for it. Our posts are so dialed that the code they produce requires ZERO editing.

I know enough G-Code to do a fair amount of post work.

quote:

Although there will be exceptions (e.g. full-time Mastercam Champion handling support and customization for a large number of seats in a large, potentially multi-facility company) I generally find that for our customers the quickest, most cost effective route to a customized post is to have us take on the work.

Our company is like that. There are two of us that are competent Post guys. Our faclilty has 8 seats of Mastercam. 6 are mill level 3, 1 is a Mill Level 1, and 1 is a Mill Level 2. We have 1 Haas Mini Mill, 5 Thermwood 5 Axis Routers, 5 Mori Seiki Horizontals (adding 2 more in 3 months), 2 Mori Seiki Lathes with Live Tooling, and 14 Cincinati VMC's. It's more practical for us to do it ourselves at this point. Unless of course we add a different 5 Axis Machine in which Case we will contract the services of our VERY competent Reseller. But as Dave stated, we are the exception and not the rule.

I'm having trouble with my dealer coming off with the post cd.Everytime I ask about it he says he will send it to me,but I have not seen it yet.They have a guy who does post work for them and I get the vibe that the want me to come to then for post work.I have done a lot of tweaking myself with help from you guys,but that post cd would sure be nice.

heavy metal confused.gif

Like James, we introduce post processors to students in our extended night classes. This serves two purposes: the student understands how mastercam goes about generating code, which de-mystifies this processs, and it allows them to make simple post mods.

Not to overstate the case, but beyond that, making your own post processor is like building your own refrigerator: sure, you can do it, but it will cost more than what you can buy one for, and it probably will look like hell and won't work that great either. wink.gif

we offer post training classes at least once or twice a quarter to our customers. it is a basic class that will get the user started on the post editing techniques. i prefer the customer to be able to handle his post issues him/herself. (less work for me ). we do charge for post edits but that happens rarely as our sales guys usually use the post edit charge as a throwaway during the sales negotiations. i have been to mastercam's post class in tolland, ct. and it was very informative. the new post CD is also a good source of info but will not teach how to edit a post. contact your dealer to see what is available in your area. if you arenot satified with the answer then go directly to CNC Software

to what they can offer you. biggrin.gif