Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

On E-Bay

TimHollis

Can Ebay be held responsible by the BSA? If this has been brought to there attention already, and yet they continue to allow it to happen, at what point can Ebay recieve punishment.

Somenone should try to sell a pirated copy of WINXP and see how far that gets, the xxxx!

I do not believe Ebay can be held responcible.

I doubt that they physically check each and every auction.

However, they should be able to put a flag into their system to help bring attention to someone trying to do something illegal( like selling pirated version of mc ).

Someone might want to make sure that ebay has a flag set up for MC.

Steve Sibiski cheers.gif

[ 03-14-2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: ssibiski ]

I watch ebay pretty closely and get some good buys, just bought handbook 1 and 2 for $130. E-bay generally has illegal software sales pulled off of their site within a 24 hour period. I've seen mastercam, pro-e and several others for $100 apiece, no longer available by the next morning.

What's wrong with what he is selling? He may not own the software, but he certainly owns the books and CD. Without the hasp, the CD will install, but not run, thereby rendering it essentaly worthless. So he is selling the books for $10.

I think it may have value to someone who owns a hasp and a newer version of MC and would like to return to "the good old days"

They could ask CNC software for a down-dated sim code

quote:

It's against the EULA to transfer the software. You never really OWN the software, you license it

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I would like someone to give me a rational explanation of this.

If I, as a customer, pay a sizeable chunk of change to purchase a copy of the software, why can I not turn around and sell the "used" software to someone else if I no longer want it?

As long as I sell the CD and the hasp to someone else and no longer use the software myself; where is the issue here? The software company got paid in full for the software, there is no limit on the amount of time I can retain and use the software should I remain the owner, so why can't I transfer ownership of the software (license, whatever) to someone else?

If I sell (or give) my computer to someone the operating system, software, etc that are installed go with it; is this "against the rules"?

Help me to understand the rationale behind this

Thanks

C

I tend to agree with you but...

If you read the license you'll find

that you didn't buy the software, you have

leased the rights to use it.

There is nothing to stop you from selling

the discs and sim to someone, but the buyer

will find it expensive, if not impossible

to get futher upgrades for that sim.

[ 03-15-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I think part of it may stem from the fact that CAD/CAM Software is a "regulated " industry, meaning that CNC Software can not sell it's software anywhere it chooses. Ther are certain countries on the world that for 1 reason or another the US, Canada, and other countries are deemed terrorist states, so possibly this is their feeble attempt at control over their software. Who knows. Perhaps Brian Summers could weigh in on this issue.

It's STILL up!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

With 1 day to go!!!!

The Seller is listed as: kenmcalister

For sale without Hasp.

MC 7.1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...21&category=182

"Please email [email protected] when you see anything go up. Only CNC Software can have their products taken down."

OK, I'll do it again!!!!! confused.gif

Thanks

The Ex-pat

[ 03-17-2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: TimHollis ]

Because of legal reasons, Ebay cannot simply remove all instances of "Mastercam" from their auction site. Some instances are legitimate (Like the "Mastercam Bow" (as in Bow and arrow)and 3rd party trianing manuals.

When we spot infringing Mastercam (by automatic search method that E-mails us), we report the infringement to their "VERO" program. When they receive the report, they promply take down the site.

Brian

Surface,

Any current sim license of Mcam V9 will also allow for the use of V7, V8 or V9. V6 and earlier would depend on the sim. Why would anyone want to "Downdate" the license if they can do the same thing and more, better and faster in V9? biggrin.gif Just curious.

All,

The selling of the books is not in question. The CD is the issue. Even though the software can't LEGALLY be used without the sim, having the application on disk would allow for potential pirates to run the software without a license. This "devalues" the software and would eventually drive the license cost up to compensate. This is not in your best interest as a licensed user of the software. HTH cheers.gif

[ 03-17-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Peter Scott ]