Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool libraries on a network!!

Stefan Salmen

Why would you store your tool library on your server? I keep all of my posted files and a BACKUP copy of my librarys on the server, but I dont use that one. That is just incase my fat fingers move to fast and I screw something up. Try copying you tool file and placing it locally, I know that will help!

JM2C

dnguyen1 Yes sir you are right it has a light version and also a 30day full trial.

As for the tools on the Server this makes sense by that you can share and update the same tool libary between all programers.

I have not tried it so I do not have an answer.

I will have to get in front of my server at the office to try.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Why would you store your tool library on your server?

We have 4 seats of MC and I want access to my library from anyone of them. My library isn't complete yet, so keeping 4 different libraries (on 4 different seats) all current would be a headache. My library isn't that big, but if it's an issue, then maybe I'll have to get my library in order and put them on all local hard drives.

Thad

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no reason to work off your libraries on the network unless you want slower results...

It's a very good habit to back them up on the network every night since the network gets backed up every night anyhow.That way you will always have the latest tools available at all times.

quote:

Well hears my take. I could see sharing a tool library.

I am at a shop we have 4 programmers there are a few machines with over 200 tools and I am building tool libraries for them, this would make life easer for the other guys if I put the libraries on the server so they did not have to make new ones or if they add a new tool, now I know about the new tools.

A few of us simultaneously program the same machines at the same time.

Jay:

Be careful about updating tool libraries that other users may be updating as well. Unless MasterCAM uses record-level locking of the library files, you could find your updates lost through the inadvertent actions of another user updating them at the same time.

I'd suggust building/modifying the file locally and posting the results to the shared locaiton on the server.