Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

V9.1

robk

If I wanted a smartass remark from anyone out there I would have asked for one right up front...I apologize to everyone out there for not posting my question "correctly".Didn't know there were rules.. Just to defend myself, I'm not a new Mastercam user...I have used it since V5, so I'm not dumb when it comes to using the software,and I also think it's the greatest CAM software out there. My concern was time in getting the operation library opened, and I haven't gotten a solution yet.I have it on the hard drive and not the network,but it still takes me 1min. and 7 seconds to be exact as compared to 3 seconds flat prior to installing V9.1..If some of you were more interested in helping instead of being critics maybe I would of had a solution by now..Sorry for wasting my time with this site and invading your space........

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

If I wanted a smartass remark from anyone out there I would have asked for one right up front...

You did ask for one. Here, let me refresh your memory...

quote:
Just installed V9.1--a couple of hours later I uninstalled it and reinstalled V9.0sp1...It took over one minute just to open up my operation library,and that was my first problem. I didn't hang around to find any more.

Rob

• " src="biggrin.gif" />

'Rekd teh "California Lottery; a way to tax people that are bad at math."

quote:

As I only open files in the order of 2 or 3 times a day, then these two lost minutes of my life are really opportunities to reflect on the job I am about to complete. What a Luxury, thanks CNC Software...

Any increase in the time it takes to program a part is ultimately a decrease in the bottom line. Wow!!! I've sure lost some respect for a few "senior" members in here. Some are just jerks, others are jerks that can't spell. I wonder if these guys wear ties??

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I've sure lost some respect for a few "senior" members in here. Some are just jerks, others are jerks that can't spell. I wonder if these guys wear ties??

Hey now, robk started it.... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif He sprayed some flame bait and many of us took it. FYI I wear a tie, it matches the tape on my glasses.

I have benn using V9.1 now for about three days and it seems very unstable on my system PIIII 2.4ghz. with 512 DDR ram and N ice graphic card. I have been writing down all the problems and I will ether post the here in a day or so or E-Mail them to my dealer. It's nothing that I can't work around it's just a pain in the rear.

Verify seem to be really meesed up. If I use WCS and try to vreify with true solids and turbo it give me an error something about 3 axis. The other day I created a 2-D contour toolpath in a "L" shape and I desided that I needed to break one of the lines. I rechianed my geo. and it gave me an error of line must be on a flat plane. Whats up with that? I closed mastercam and reopened it and it worked fine. Do you think windows 98 has anything to do with this? If I go to my boss and tell him to upgrade windows he is going to tell me to go back to V9.I do like V9.1 it has a lot of nice new thing and it works alot faster on lots of thing. Well I will stop there for now and maybe some more next week.

I would like to apologize to everyone that I have offended in any way, shape or form. Second I would like to thank Anos for the solution (chnaging the file format to mc.,saving it than renaming it seemed to do the trick)....The reason for me being in such a rush was the schedule I was under. I can NOT afford to be down for a few hours that's why I'm in here on my own time tonight... I'm responsible for programming six machines (4 simple vericals and 2 (5)axis horizontals) each one with a different control.I jump back and forth between programs just to make sure that chips are flying. It gets a little crazy in here sometimes. Every minute counts especially when it was taking me so long opening the libraries..I have a separate library for every machine because of the different tooling that's used. I hope you all understand where I'm comming from, and once again I'm sorry.

P.S.---V9.1 It's performing just like it should. smile.gif

quote:

I'm responsible for programming six machines

Got me beat by 1 machine. Do you have to set them up and run them also? AND do the estimating? AND do the tooling? (I got it easy, though, only 3 of them are running 4 axes right now, 'til next week when I'll have 4 of the 5...)

rolleyes.gif

'Rekd teh B.U.M.A.

quote:

Some are just jerks, others are jerks that can't spell. I wonder if these guys wear ties??

Aaron do you have a problem with me ,that you would like to speakeup about?

I take this as pointing at me and I am not sure of the problem. confused.gif

[ 04-20-2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

The only time I'm at the machime is when an operator is running one of my probe macro programs...Those still scare me.

ANY time I run a tool that is a fair portion of my annual salary it scares me. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Probing and Tapping still make the sphincter tighten up pretty good. biggrin.gif Even after it's run hundreds of times. I don't know why. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

I have benn using V9.1 now for about three days and it seems very unstable on my system PIIII 2.4ghz. with 512 DDR ram and N ice graphic card. ......snipped

Do you think windows 98 has anything to do with this? If I go to my boss and tell him to upgrade windows he is going to tell me to go back to V9.

You're kidding me. You're running Win98 on a pentium 4? Did you have to uninstall WinXP (that came with it) so you could put Win98 on? confused.gif

Thad

cadcam,

I didn't notice you bashing anyone and your initial reply to robk seemed amicable enough. But the way some of these guys shoot from the hip when responding makes one seriously reconsider using this forum for the headache that can be had when some self righteous you-know-what bashes or ridicules you because of inadvertent poor sentence structure or voicing a frustration with MC glitches.

I too had to uninstall 9.1 and reinstall 9.0 sp1 because of glitches that I didn't have time to address. One of the most irritating bugs being the set-up sheets. Even with the MP_v912.ZIP download that is supposed to fix it, the set-up sheet still posts each individual remachining chain as a seperate operation, resulting in long, redundant set-up sheets. I have been using MC since version 6 and have found it to be a decent CAM program and I prefer it over some other well known CNC software packages. However, it still crashes, spectacularly I might add, more than any other program loaded on my computer or that I have ever used and has since I started using version 6 and on any computer configuration that I have used, including this one, which is built based on MC recomendations. Moreover, there are certain issues I have with the software, i.e. regenerating remachining from a contour operation will cause MC to crash a large percentage of the time after freezing up for 5 minutes or so, but it won't do that during a regeneration of pocket remachining operations.

I don't care what anybody says, we've paid a pretty penny for MC software and by rights I should be able to expect practically flawless operation. In a manufacturing environment quality assurance and continuous product improvement are the norm. Our customers expect accuracy and dependability, and in this ISO 9003/JIT manufacturing world, we expect accuracy and dependability from our tool and material suppliers, including Mastercam. Anything less, based on current manufacturing principles, is unacceptable, no excuses. And that, fellow liscensed mc users, precludes bashing another liscensed user because said user is frusterated due to malfunctioning software. Time fiddling around trying to get something to work is downtime, unproductive, and tends cause the boss to pay more attention to you than is desirable.

According to FAQ:

quote:

The model for this Forum is users helping users.

quote:

However, it still crashes, spectacularly I might add, more than any other program loaded on my computer or that I have ever used

quote:

Moreover, there are certain issues I have with the software, i.e. regenerating remachining from a contour operation will cause MC to crash a large percentage of the time after freezing up for 5 minutes or so, but it won't do that during a regeneration of pocket remachining operations.

???? confused.gif ????

Doesn't sound like we're using the same program here dude.... I'm sure if you took the time to sit down and ask nicely here you would get soem help to all of your problems. It seems to work for alot of us...

quote:

I don't care what anybody says, we've paid a pretty penny for MC software and by rights I should be able to expect practically flawless operation. In a manufacturing environment quality assurance and continuous product improvement are the norm. Our customers expect accuracy and dependability, and in this ISO 9003/JIT manufacturing world, we expect accuracy and dependability from our tool and material suppliers, including Mastercam. Anything less, based on current manufacturing principles, is unacceptable, no excuses.

....And we've all payed that same pretty penny my friend.

"In a manufacturing environment"...I think if you sit back and think about it for a second, MC is used so many users, for so many different aapplications, I don't see how you could expect it to be delivered to you configured exactly how you need to use it. Besides, I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone deciding for me, without ever setting foot in my shop or doing the things I do every day, what is best for me. I want them to put the options in there and I'll decide for myself. There isn't anything I've encountered that I couldn't do, one way or another, with Mastercam.

...I would go on... but I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing you here cause I'm not, I'm trying to help.

quote:

According to FAQ:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The model for this Forum is users helping users.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to remember that this is a USER forum. Made of users (yes I know it's been said a hundred times already) that don't get paid to come here, they do it because they want to help and be helped. Being an @&!(!%# isn't going to get you anywhere here.

[ 04-22-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Hey Ezra.. very nicely put. cheers.gif Rum & Cokes on me! (After 5:00 of course) rolleyes.gif

I agree; Mastercam has doen everything I've required, with some help in finding out where that particular "setting" might be. I've never seen the issues he's listed either. Hrm, methinks maybe it's a bug in User or the Hardware, not the Software, because I've NEVER heard that particular thing happening. Anyone else?

Those that are mad at Mastercam because it's not taylored "just for them" are obviously used to having to be told exactally how to do something.

If you want to be "told" how to make a part, maybe Gibbs is for you.

Pitty those that can't use their mind and imagination in their job.

'Rekd teh "No harm intended to Gibbs, it's just an educated evaluation"

quote:

However, it still crashes, spectacularly I might add, more than any other program loaded on my computer or that I have ever used

Ezra, I am with you. My version works absolutly fantastic. Out of couriosity, I wonder how many users are having the same problems Aaron is having? (hope my spelling is good I dont want ti get yelled at)

quote:

Some are just jerks, others are jerks that can't spell

Ya, this will get you real far in here.

Have a great day rolleyes.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Aaron,

You seemed to have somehow missed the ENTIRE point of many of the posts so far. Come in, ask a question, get some help, contribute. That's how it works.

The only people re-considering weather to post a question in here are pirates. Legit users have nothing to fear if they are even somewhat respectful to CNC, and or other users.

Voicing frustration happens all the time but usually there is a question involved with the frustration and usually there's an answer. Granted the answers may not always be popular, "Talk to your reseller", "E-mail [email protected] ", "You need to upgrade your graphics card", or something like that but hey, that's the reality sometimes.

I've been using Version 9.1 since Beta 1 and I've experienced stable results since day one with the exception of the V9.1 release. I had an issue with MSVCRT.dll that was completely fixed by a patch that Bullines wrote. So I have no idea why you are having so many problems. I use ALL of the features you complain about with NO issues whatsoever. Matter of fact, V9.1 is faster on re-gens for all the toopaths that I've tested by at least 10% SUrface re-gens have improved somewhere between 40-60% of the parts I've tested.

Are you sure you're using Mastercam? wink.gif

quote:

I don't care what anybody says, we've paid a pretty penny for MC software and by rights I should be able to expect practically flawless operation.

Brace yourself for this one;

I don't know what planet you're from but you need to came back down to earth pal. NO SOFTWARE is bug free. No matter how much or how little you pay for it. Is that acceptable? No. Should we expect every release to get better? Duh! Are bugs and issues a reality for EVERY software developer? Youbetcha. Don't like it? Write your own software or buy something else but one word of caution, "You'll be back" because for as many issues as Mastercam has al the others have at least as many. They may be different issues but they are issues nontheless.

quote:

Time fiddling around trying to get something to work is downtime, unproductive, and tends cause the boss to pay more attention to you than is desirable.

Perhaps you shoudl spend some time outside the office with the software to get familiar with new features. This would be time well spent. Perhaps you're doing things the "Old School" way and perhaps they don't work the same way now. I don't know but I do know you need to have your setup looked at by someone because the largest majority of users in here are not experienceing those kinds of things.

JM2C

[ 04-22-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

quote:

... I'm sure if you took the time to sit down and ask nicely

I don’t recall asking anybody for anything in my last two posts. I was simply pointing out the fact that there are bugs and many users run into them. As a matter of fact I remember distinctly back in 2001 James Meyette implying that by saying, and this is not word for word, “we all know that MC can get cranky at times.” Furthermore, to refute rek’d, I have posted a question in which I did not receive an answer that solved the problem, no offense to the one individual that responded.

quote:

....And we've all payed that same pretty penny my friend.

And that changes what?

quote:

"In a manufacturing environment"...I think if you sit back and think about it for a second, MC is used so many users, for so many different aapplications,

That, by definition, is a manufacturing environment. Many processes, many products, many ways to skin the cat.

quote:

I don't see how you could expect it to be delivered to you configured exactly how you need to use it.

Read my post again Zero, I mentioned nothing about configurations and I was not complaining that MC was not set up for my specific application, I was defending a guy who got slammed for expressing frusturations and pointing out that MC has bugs. And from my experience it has more bugs than any other program I have used. That is not to say that I think Mastercam is crap, far from it, it has been effective in most of my applications over the years.

quote:

You have to remember that this is a USER forum. Made of users (yes I know it's been said a hundred times already) that don't get paid to come here, they do it because they want to help and be helped. Being an @&!(!%# isn't going to get you anywhere here.

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that helping users meant being an @&!(!%# to them. I have read a lot of posts stating that same, idiotically obvious statement and so I must conclude that not being paid justifies inappropriate bashing. Because so far every one I have noticed say that is flaming someone.

quote:

Those that are mad at Mastercam because it's not taylored "just for them" are obviously used to having to be told exactally how to do something. If you want to be "told" how to make a part, maybe Gibbs is for you.

Once again I made no complaints regarding how MC was tailored upon delivery. Let me quote myself to refresh your memories:

quote:

have been using MC since version 6 and have found it to be a decent CAM program and I prefer it over some other well known CNC software packages.

And that includes Gibbs, Surfcam, Smartcam, Esprit (for wire) Are you sure you were responding to my post????

quote:

Pitty those that can't use their mind and imagination in their job.

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?? Nice one-liner though rek'd.

quote:

You seemed to have somehow missed the ENTIRE point of many of the posts so far. Come in, ask a question, get some help, contribute. That's how it works.

Once again, James, I have to ask myself who has been reading who’s posts. You are one of the worst ones here for flaming and ridiculing those who post contrary to your will or interpretation. If capitalizations are indicative of screaming online then I guess I have to take offense at much of what you have to say. I am not an idiot, I have been doing this for awhile and, like many of you, I have taught CNC and traditional machining at the college level. I take extreme offense to your belittling posts. I know for a fact that individuals have signed off from this forum permanently due to the demeaning responses that they have received.

quote:

I've been using Version 9.1 since Beta 1 and I've experienced stable results since day one with the exception of the V9.1 release.

I rest my case.

quote:

Are you sure you're using Mastercam?

Gee, I don’t know James, maybe I should check again!

quote:

don't know what planet you're from but you need to came back down to earth pal. NO SOFTWARE is bug free. No matter how much or how little you pay for it. Is that acceptable? No. Should we expect every release to get better? Duh! Are bugs and issues a reality for EVERY software developer? Youbetcha. Don't like it? Write your own software or buy something else but one word of caution, "You'll be back" because for as many issues as Mastercam has al the others have at least as many. They may be different issues but they are issues nontheless.

What planet I'm from?!?!?! That was cute, nice one James. I'll say it again, that does not change the expectations of a customer: reliable software. Would you drive a new car that, every now and then, quits on the side of the road? How about a rifle that occasionally discharges on its own because of a design error? Don’t like it? Build your own car, build your own firearms. What happened to 110%? Should we lower our expectations simply because nothing is error free?!?!? Come on people this is manufacturing, quality assurance and continuous improvement are the name of the game, design flaws are not acceptable. That has to be our philosophy or nothing improves. I realize that it takes time to work the bugs out of a product, I also know how far we have come in the machining arena in the last 30 years; because of CAM software one can be a CNC programmer now and not have a clue what a G&M code is or know the meaning and uses of “cosine” or “tangent”, but should we slam every one who complains about those bugs? Apparently, that has been your philosophy. With regards to your last jibe, again I was speaking strictly about bugs, not “new features”. I am aware of and use the new features that I need for our application.

quote:

Time fiddling around trying to get something to work is downtime, unproductive, and tends cause the boss to pay more attention to you than is desirable.

I bet it took you at least a half an hour to write that post of yours. How'd the boss feel about that? tongue.gif

Like I said, I wasn't trying to bash you Aaron, I was just trying to point out that I don't think you can expect anyone to be polite if you can't do the same, and that all of us here are in the same boat you are. I've purposely avoided this thread for the last week as nothing but bashing has gone on in here and I'd rather not get involved, I have better things to do.

quote:

... I'm sure if you took the time to sit down and ask nicely

what I was trying to say was...if you have all these "bugs" , as you put it, why don't you ask some questions about these "bugs". I know I have had those days too, where the program just doesn't seem to work correctly and you swear you're doing everything right and it isn't your fault at all. And then after many hours you realize that you dont have this or that checked or you have this set wrong or .... or maybe it's something you just didn't know had to be done differently now in a new version (yeah I know it's hard to imagine that there's something that you don't know...but just pretend for a second tongue.gif )

and it's usually followed with a big DOH! redface.gif

quote:

And from my experience it has more bugs than any other program I have used

Show me these bugs and I'll believe you. Like I said, there seem to be many people here that aren't experiencing these "spectacular" system crashes and countless # of bugs you seem to keep mentioning, though I haven't seen you actually list more then 1. If I could, I'd help you with your setup sheet problem, but I don't ever use the setup sheet being the only guy here who models,toolpaths, sets up, and runs all the jobs, it's all in my head.

quote:

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that helping users meant being an @&!(!%# to them

Let me say it again, Don't expect polite answers if you can't ask polite questions. If you payed all these nice folks here for that piece of software things might be different, but you didn't. They paid for it just like you did, and some take offense when the product they paid $xxxxx for gets bashed and rightfully so. Just think of this forum like the shop floor. I bet if you went out on the shop floor and treated people like that you wouldn't get too nice of responses either. I believe this thread started off on the wrong foot and was doomed the second it was unleashed upon our little forum here. And bashing back isn't gonna get you anywhere either, 'cuz 2 wrongs don't make a right. I'm having a vision of a padlock being locked shut for some reason....

If you want some help with these countless #'s of bugs you seem to run into, start up a thread, ask nicely wink.gif , and I'll do my very best to help you out and I bet we can get you running more like the way you want to be.

[ 04-22-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

quote:

Furthermore, to refute rek’d, I have posted a question in which I did not receive an answer that solved the problem,

First off, laughing boy, I just looked through your posts and couldn't find any that someone didn't at least attempt to help you with. And as far as reading and comprehension, I never said every post recieved a fix. That's stupid. Where'd you come up with that?

quote:

and so I must conclude that not being paid justifies inappropriate bashing.

No, silly bear. The bashing comes from people starting off with an attitude and expecting to get help. What they're gonna get instead is a slap upside the head. (Kind of like I'm gonna do to you at the end of this post..) Find me one post, ONE, that someone politely asks for help and recieves a flaming instead. (Hell, even I have helped some people after they come off with an attitude, and that's saying a lot!)

quote:

Once again, James, I have to ask myself who has been reading who’s posts. You are one of the worst ones here for flaming and ridiculing those who post contrary to your will or interpretation.

Not to try to justify anything for James, but I don't recall him ever getting mad about someone with a different oppinion. Only those with attitudes. Hrm, kind of like, well... you.

quote:

I take extreme offense to your belittling posts. I know for a fact that individuals have signed off from this forum permanently due to the demeaning responses that they have received.

Is there a point you're trying to make here? (besides the one on top of your head?) This is a community. People need to get along in order to co-habitate. If someone comes in with an attitude, you can bet your xxxx they're gonna get one back. Or 2 or 3 or 50. If they're not man enough to realize the reason they got flamed and make an apology, then good riddens.

quote:

I've been using Version 9.1 since Beta 1 and I've experienced stable results since day one with the exception of the V9.1 release.

I rest my case.

I have yet to see your 'case'. Here, let me refresh YOUR memory..

quote:

I've been using Version 9.1 since Beta 1 and I've experienced stable results since day one with the exception of the V9.1 release. I had an issue with MSVCRT.dll that was completely fixed by a patch that Bullines wrote.

quote:

Would you drive a new car that, every now and then, quits on the side of the road?

Um, yeah. And if you drive, you had a problem with your car too. Period. Nothing, let me re-iterate... NOTHING, is bug free. And the more complex it is, the more prone it is to bugs. Deal with it.

Ever get a flat?

Ever had a battery die?

Ever had a tail light go out?

Ever have a nut come loose?

Ever see the paint fail after only 2 years?

Ever have a gun missfire?

Ever have any problem with anything?

That's what I thought. Now sit down and shut up, you're really making yourself look like more of an idiot that you probably are.

'Rekd teh Slapping Aaron upside the head repeatedly.. "Wake up, man!"