Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Orgainzing STL files?

neurosis

This question is to the guys that are using stl files for rest roughing.

I would like to keep the stl files in the same folder that I keep my part file. With the way that mastercam file settings are, combined with the way we organize our files (on our server), it doesnt make it very easy to save stl files. There is allot of navigating through folders to get to the part folder to store the stl.

What are you guys doing to organize your stl files?

This question is to the guys that are using stl files for rest roughing.

I would like to keep the stl files in the same folder that I keep my part file. With the way that mastercam file settings are, combined with the way we organize our files (on our server), it doesnt make it very easy to save stl files. There is allot of navigating through folders to get to the part folder to store the stl.

What are you guys doing to organize your stl files?

I keep my STL files in the same folder as the the MCX file

The last drop down on the File/Save menu eliminates a lot of the navigation headaches.

It took me a long time to get used to using it though

I keep my STL files in the same folder as the the MCX file

The last drop down on the File/Save menu eliminates a lot of the navigation headaches.

It took me a long time to get used to using it though

Which drop down are you referring to?

I was organizing all of the stl files in a separate folder at first. I started to accumulate so many of them that I started to save them in the part folder. Thats where the navigational headaches started. Too bad there wasnt an option in the config that would allow you to save all information pertaining to a specific part file in its folder. Or is there?

I have been thinking about this too. After using Vericut I have been won over with the "working directory" fuction, For just this purpose. As well as many others. I have been thinking about putting this on the mastercam improvements forum.. Or is there already a simalar function available? I'm pretty quick with a mouse, but should I have to be? I would hate to think how much time I spend "navigating through folders" over and over to save different types of files in specific locations.

Don't forget that stl files can be merged into your file if you want them saved together.

When opening the stl file select the options button and choose STL mesh. This will bring the stl data into Mastercam as a single entity that is selectable, shadable and usable as a drive or rest surfaces.

Things to consider:

The stl data is added to your .mcx database so make sure it isn't a huge file.

When using stl models as rest models, the tolerance doesn't need to be very tight. Normally you are using the stl file as a tool to eliminate air cuts.

This will bring the stl data into Mastercam as a single entity that is selectable, shadable and usable as a drive or rest surfaces.

I've been using stls for rest roughing on 90% of my parts here and this is news to me. So far I've saved my stl in a separate folder to be used for restmilling but I like the idea of having restmill geometry saved with the main mcx file. I'm able to merge stl as mesh with my mcx file but how do I go about picking this mesh as a stock (rest surface) for my restmill?

Surface High Speed rest roughing will calculate remaining stock from previous operations, specific tool diameters and from an stl file (I use the last option almost exclusively) and I don't see where I can pick the mesh geometry ???

What am I missing here?

TIA

Surface High Speed rest roughing will calculate remaining stock from previous operations, specific tool diameters and from an stl file (I use the last option almost exclusively) and I don't see where I can pick the mesh geometry ???

What am I missing here?

TIA

I was wondering the same thing. I hope someone chimes in here.

When opening the stl file select the options button and choose STL mesh.

This compter doesn't have Mastercam on it, so I can't try this.

I copied this from Ken's post.. I believe he's talking about the Option button on

the File/Open page that you'd use to select an STL file..

Maybe setting the STL mesh option kicks you back to the open session ???

Tom we are not talking about the same thing but I am talking getting it from here.

CADusingSTLsifyouwantedto.png

And yes when you pick it it does bring up a open dialog box allowing you to pick a STL file. This is really helpful for keeping file size small, but still allowing you to do some big files without having the Mastercam file become very bloated for rouging routines.

HTH

Don't forget that stl files can be merged into your file if you want them saved together.

When opening the stl file select the options button and choose STL mesh. This will bring the stl data into Mastercam as a single entity that is selectable, shadable and usable as a drive or rest surfaces.

Ron..

we're trying to figure out how to use an stl mesh stored inside an MCX file as a rest rough stock definition

When I try the open method in the lower right hand corner the option to change things grays out and that could be because of me having Verisurf on my tower

It is.. the Verisurf STL package disables Mastercam STL mesh options

storing rest rough stl's as mesh inside the mcx file is a great way to simplify file managment

if we can figure out how it works

I have been thinking about this too. After using Vericut I have been won over with the "working directory" fuction, For just this purpose. As well as many others. I have been thinking about putting this on the mastercam improvements forum.. Or is there already a simalar function available? .

Maybe as an enhancement, it can be included in the options already available in File-Project Manager. The "working folder" feature is already there, but STL files are not an option.

I think what Ken is suggesting is not so much a way to choose the file but a file management technique.

By storing the stl in the actual MCAM file,

This will allow you to keep the stl stored in the file for future use and if needed you can always do a "Save Some" to create an external stl file at some point in the future.

I think what Ken is suggesting is not so much a way to choose the file but a file management technique.

By storing the stl in the actual MCAM file,

This will allow you to keep the stl stored in the file for future use and if needed you can always do a "Save Some" to create an external stl file at some point in the future.

Maybe we are understanding him wrong. It sounds like he is saying that it comes in to mastercam as a selectable entity. That was the way that I interpreted it. When I do as he says, I can see that there is an entity on what ever level I have active when I pull it in, but if I blank every other level nothing shows.

If I try to use that merged stl on say, another op, there would be no way to select it from inside of the current file is that correct?

Sorry, but I am still lost as to what he is suggesting.. :D

If I try to use that merged stl on say, another op, there would be no way to select it from inside of the current file is that correct?

Yes, you cannot select it inside the MCX file for example in verify. I just tested it today and got the STL mesh on a level and visible but there is very little use for it. I just continue to save the STL in the same folder as the part file, where it is easy to find and usable.