Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Mastercam Cuisine???

Jack Mitchell

I'm feeling a little disappointed. After reading Andrew's recipe, I looked in my local supermarket for the necessary ingredients. No luck. So I ask a friend who is a professional meat-buyer. He tells me, that he can't get the stuff either. I've been looking on Ebay for a low mileage sheep and while there's nothing in the by-laws, I don't think the condo association will allow me to slaughter at home. So what's a man to do? confused.gif

We have had the same trouble here, since the MadCow scare in England, you cant get good sheep lung anymore as the exports have been banned. We are now using substitutes, Squirrel, Skunk and Dead Crow make a nice mixture... Gee - You would think that we came from Virginia...

[ 05-01-2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Jack,

Here is an offshore recipe I like. My mouth starts to water just reading it over.

Chicken Curry

(Gaeng Gari Gai)

Makes 2 servings

Ingredients

12 oz. Sliced Chicken Breast

1 16 oz. can of coconut milk

12 oz. Water or Chicken Stock

2 tablespoons ground Peanuts

1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Fish Sauce to taste (or a dash of salt to taste)

4 - 5 Thai Basil Leafs

2 oz. Yellow Curry Paste

1/2 teaspoon ground Red Chili (add to taste only)!

Technique:

Start heating a sauteed pan over medium heat. Open the can of coconut milk, being careful not to shake it. Scoop some of the cream off the top and heat with curry paste until you see the oil starting to separate from the coconut milk. Add the sugar, Chicken, water or stock, and the rest of the coconut milk and mix together. When the Chicken is almost finished, add the Fish Sauce, Peanuts, Basil, Red Chili and Bell Peppers. Let simmer for 10 minutes and serve.

note: You may substitute with Coconut Milk Concentrate for the canned Coconut Milk and the Dry Chili with Fresh Chilies. The Dry Chili seems to add more of a roasted nutty flavor.

Green Curry Paste

1 ts Cumin seeds

1 ts Coriander seeds

6 Fresh green chilies, Chopped

1 tb Chopped lemon grass

1 ts Chopped coriander root

1 tb Chopped shallots

1 tb Chopped garlic

1 ts Chopped galangal

7 Peppercorns

1 ts Salt

1 ts Shrimp paste

Directions:

This is easy to make. Make lots and freeze it for future use. If you're not a fan of pounding you can use a food processor. Just don't overdo the processing. Green Curry Paste (Nam Prik Kaeng Khiew Wah) Place the cumin and coriander seeds in a pan, without adding any oil. Dry-fry them, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until they are aromatic and slightly browned. Pound them with the remaining ingredients to produce a fine paste.

Thanks to Lawrence Wheeler for this recipe.

Phil

quote:

it is the cullinary arts that separate us from the other species.

I thought it was drive McD' drive through and delivered pizza.

But seriously I am feeling rather inadequate regarding my skills in the kitchen. Beyound Steaks chicken Spaghetti, Im on shaky groung.

I do however have a cool pork recepie 'round here somewhere that I shall post as soon as I find it. (havent made it in 6 months).

BTW Here in Philly we take all them animal parts and some things that probably dont qualify as animal parts (filler I believe they call it). Grind it up and press it into a brick and call it scrapple. Great with eggs. Slice a piece off (has the appearence looseley resembling a white castle patty meat thing) fry it to crispy brown. Good stuff. Ever try it ?

CAMmando,

quote:

But seriously I am feeling rather inadequate regarding my skills in the kitchen. Beyound Steaks chicken Spaghetti, Im on shaky groung.

Never admit inadequacy wether in the kitchen or the bedroom - this could cause problems, carry it off as if you are confident no matter what. Be macho - I'll just hazard a guess that this is the first time this particular word has been used on the forum. biggrin.gif

If you burn the steaks then just say, Yah baby I like it hot biggrin.gif They always fall for it smile.gif I am such a slob don't you know!

But seriously, if you really blow the meal the female usually shows an ounce of compassion and says it good anyways - it's how we learn.

Remember - if your good in the kitchen then she doesn't have to be. biggrin.gif Flame me Kathy, for I deseve it smile.gif Another suggestion is to buy the finest Maytags money can buy and to mix the whites with the dirty work clothes and the other various colors; trust me this works, at least it has for the last 26 years cheers.gif

oh oh - it's 33 years and not the 26 years that I stated. (I was reminded about this last night)

Oh yes, last years Maytags cost me $2500.00 and they're worth every penny. smile.gifsmile.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 05-02-2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Never admit inadequacy wether in the kitchen or the bedroom

Jack, for some reason this makes me think of something Jerry Hall said when she married Mick Jagger. In her thick, Texas drawl, she said "My Momma told me the way to keep a man happy is to be a cook in the kitchen, a maid in the living room, and a xxxxe in the bedroom. But, hell with Mick's money I figure I can just hire a cook and a maid."

So Jack, lemme see if I get it ...

Im cookin' for my date. Rather than admit my culinary inadequacies, I scrape the globs of spaghetti out of the pot smother with enough sauce (it acts like a solvent) to get it to separate. Dump the (probably burnt) crumbled hamburger on top. And say something to the effect of "you really want it dont ya babe" with the utmost confience.

Then when we're done, say something like "It was good for you too huh ?"

cool.gif

I learn so much in here.

Jack:

Just wanted to say thanks for the thread, here is another on my favorites.

To the rest:

If you can set-up, program, and operate a CNC machine you should be able to follow a simple recipe. The instructions are all laid out for you. Just pretend it is a process sheet or shop traveler (those of you who actually read the process sheet wink.gif )

Thai Mussels

6 shallots, peeled and finely sliced

4 large cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and sliced

2 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely sliced

1 tblsp oil

2 tblsp Thai red curry paste

1 cup water

32-36 mussels, well scrubbed

1 cup coconut cream

1/4 cup chopped coriander

2 tblsp chopped mint

pepper to season

1. Cook the shallots, garlic and ginger in oil until lightly browned. Add the Thai curry paste and cook 2 minutes.

2. Add the water and bring to the boil.

3. Remove the beards from the mussels and discard any that are open. Add to the saucepan, cover and boil for 4-5 minutes until all the mussels have opened. Discard any that have not

4. Add the coconut cream, coriander and mint. Season with pepper.

5. Serve in deep bowls.

This is pretty simple but a great quick breakfast:

Bernie's Scrambled Eggs

3 - 4 eggs (depends on hunger level)

tablespoon of chopped fresh onion (or dried, minced onion)

dash of garlic powder

dash of Lawry's Seasoned Salt

small 'glug' of Pico Pica hot sauce

1 or 2 tablespoons butter

Melt butter in non-stick frying pan, sautee onions for a minute or two. Add everything else and scramble with rubber spatula. Keep stirring and cook until firm but not hard.

Serve with well-buttered toast.

Enjoy

Take Lipitor with glass of milk. cheers.gif

Had to rehash this thread. Here's my favorite chicken fajita recipe (can use beef if preferred). All of the amounts are estimated as I have never had a recipe for this - it's just kind of evolved over the years.

CHICKEN FAJITAS

Marinade

1 Large ziplock bag

boneless skinless chicken breast halves(1 per person or more)

kraft zesty italian dressing

lots of garlic

1 onion(fine mince)

3 or 4 tbsp lime juice

1 tsp each chili powder, ground coriander, cumin,

salt and pepper

Throw all of the ingredients in the ziplock bag for 1h to overnight. If you can't wait take all of the air out of the bag, place the bag on the cutting board and beat your meat. biggrin.gif

1-2 red peppers (cut in 3rds lengthwise)

1-2 green peppers (cut in 3rds lengthwise)

2-3 onions sliced

Brush green and red peppers with olive oil (I usually put some cumin and coriander on the peppers)

BBQ the chicken and peppers (dont be afraid to blacken the peppers).

In a heavy frying pan, saute the onions. Julienne the peppers and add to onions. Slice the chicken on the bias (thin slices cut 45 degree to the grain) and add to pan. Just before it's done, drizzle with lime juice (optional).

Serving suggestion

Serve on warm flour tortilas with

sour cream

shredded tex mex, cheddar or monteray jack cheese

salsa

diced tomatos

pico de gallo

guacamole

Goes well with mexican/spanish rice or caesar salad.

Oh yeah, don't forget copious amounts of stupid juice (margaritas, beer, rum and coke, etc.)

cheers.gif Noel cheers.gif

--------------------------------------------------

Cooking is like machining. You never do the job the same way twice. Always looking to improve upon the last.

--------------------------------------------------