Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Mastercam Cuisine???

Jack Mitchell

As inspired by Scott Bond’s mention of an excellent breakfast. smile.gif

Among the other interests as we get a little older is the fine art of cooking and dining.

Personally speaking Bobby Flay usually ends up getting filleted, but what the heck it’s all about ranting and ratings anyways; my personal favorites are the Iron Chefs & the two fat ladies’.

Emerill is an exceptional entertainer, however; my all-time inspiration must go to Graham Kerr. (Those considerably younger will probably not recognize his name). biggrin.gif

What say we load this up with some of our trademark servings – I will follow this with an exceptional salmon dish, just to get things on the right track. If this O/T thread doesn’t interest you then by all means, pass it up and enjoy your dinner at McDonalds - as usual. wink.gif

Mexican, New England chowder, baby back ribs, etc! Would be excellent sharing - in other words – make us drool & make me fat. Come on my Socal brothers hurt me so that I slow down and have no ambition to work.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

MasterJack’s barbecued salmon,

Start off by purchasing one or two of those Teflon coated square steel cake pans. biggrin.gif

Fresh salmon is a must, never ever use previously frozen, the chefs choice here comes as Pacific Coho fillet – Atlantic is good but Pacific is tops, I don’t do salmon steaks ever - only fresh fillets.

Heat the Weber BBQ to the highest setting for fifteen minutes and use lots of mesquite chips down the sides. (this has two purposes, one is it smells so good that anything you abuse will smell absolutely great to the rest of the neighborhood, second is that this smell might actually sell a vegetarian).

Six tablespoons of extra virgin until it smokes, (10 seconds).

Salmon skin side down for about four minutes with cover closed, open the cover and turn only once.

Use your best judgment for the final finish – never ever overcook, I usually leave the top open for the final finishing. (Note: no coolant, use M09 only).

Let the salmon mature under a foil covered plate for five to ten before offering this to your guests.

The pre-dress on the flesh side for me contains a sprinkle of garlic powder, a little paprika, and a little pepper for color. Sometimes I spike the hot oil with a dash of potato spice.

This is my classic Christmas dish that I cook & take around for those family get-togethers, which has always been a hit at virtually any party – the only down side is that the cost of preparing three or four might be a little expensive, and yes, I actually do this on Christmas Eve and sometimes on Christmas day.

One more thing, I prefer cooking au-natural, biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif which means that I use natural gas as my preferred means of the fine art.

Regards, Jack

Jack, that sounds great. With good salmon, you don't need to dress it up a bunch. One thing you might want to try is to use fresh garlic. Don't put it right on the salmon, though. Instead, put the olive oil in a small, shallow pan, and warm it on the stove. Add chopped (not pressed) fresh garlic, and warm it in the oil for about 5 minutes. Hold the pan at an angle so that the garlic and oil stay pooled in one place, and keep it below a sizzle so it doesn't turn bitter. Then pour just the oil into a cup or bowl to brush it on the salmon.

I'll have to think a bit before offering my own fave recipe. Pesto seafood chowder? Tossed bowtie pasta with prosciuto? Chocolate pecan pie? Or just the world's best biscuits? Hmmm...

Mark,

Your'e such a tease - don't ya know? smile.gif This seafood chowder might get a little interesting, shame if you get scooped on this by some newbie that can cook the cook. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I don't do stove work frown.gif - only the fly bye the seat of your pants barbecue stuff, it's in my nature to live dangerously. biggrin.gif

As mentioned, pressing garlic amounts to abuse no matter whom the chef might be, however, talk is cheap when living so close to a border with such fine Mexican potential.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 04-20-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Hi all

I want to tell a story of the best south of the border BBQ I can recall.We had Carne-Asada ,hot chili, and alcohol.

We were having several friends and family over that Friday night.I wanted our grill sanitary for our guests,, so before I left for work I asked my wife to take the Weber grill off and lay on the edge of the patio,,then give a thick coat of EZ-OFF spray oven cleaner,and i will hose it off when I get home. On the way home I went to the hardware store for odds and ends, and I was able to purchase a new Weber grill. When I got home, I went right to the BBQ to see if the grill would fit,it did. I also noticed that the EZ-OFF had done it's work,so I hosed off the little bits of past BBQ's,it was cleaner-- but no match for the shine of a new grill. So I promptly put the old grill behind the Air-conditioner and put the new grill on the patio on top of the "little bits of past BBQ's" then I wet it with the hose. I put on my best game face,and yelled out Angel look at what a great job the EZ-OFF did on our old grill ( it was very convincing).

She was amazed and, she did a total EZ-OFF commercial as part of the evenings conversation. She would told the grill story, so when the guests would see me at the grill, I would tell them the truth biggrin.gif ,but also not to tell Angel. I got away with it for a few hours ,,

I had a blast. cheers.gif

well jack that fish sounds good, but i'm a meat and potatoe man. t-bone rules. i like to mix a couple different seasonings and dab on the steak. then on my side grill i will make my garlic butter to saute the mushrooms in. then i will slice up some potatoes and lay them in a pan with some red, green, yellow, peppers chopped up and some slices of onion. then when those are about done i put the steak on. just to add a little fire i will add a little cajiun seasoning to the potatoes at the very end. welcome heart burn.

this of course all washed down with some cold bud light.

cheers.gif motty

I've always made this without a recipe and without measuring, so I have to guess at the amounts here.

In a large pot, cook about 1 pound of penne pasta, then drain it into a colander and set it aside.

In the same pot, melt about 1/4 cup of butter (not margarine), and keep it warm, but don't brown it. Toss in 1/2 pound cubed halibut, 1/2 pound scallops, and 1/2 pound shelled prawns, in that order. The halibut will take a little longer to cook than the scallops, which will take a little longer than the prawns. Cook them just until the scallops and halibut are not glassy, and the prawns are pink, then remove them from the pot.

Toss in 1 coarsely chopped small onion, and stir it around until it turns glassy. In a cup, mix 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup whole milk, then slowly stir it into the pot with the butter and onions. Keep more milk handy, as this will start to thicken quickly. Add a little of the mixture, then a little more milk, etc, keeping it at a good, 'chowdery' thickness. Once you have about 3-4 cups of this in the pot, stir in one 8oz tub of fresh pesto. Add the penne, the seafood, and a few coarsely chopped red and gold roma tomatoes. Add more milk to bring it to the desired thickness, and heat just enough to re-warm it all.

Serve it with some really good bread on a cold, wet day. Mmmmm....

[ 04-21-2003, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Mark Lovelace ]

God, please stop with all of the fish tongue.gif

When I went to Japan last year, the first thing I learned how to say was "Sakana Dame" (NO FISH!)

For all of you Tex-Mex guys out there, Mexican Lasagna (Taco Bake) is the best. They sell kits in the supermarkets but you must make your own for quality results:

1 lb ground beef

1 can refried beans

1 package red beans and rice

1 package of your preferred taco mix

assorted peppers, taco sauce, mex shredded cheese blend

white corn tortillas

30 pack Budweiser

Cook up the taco meat and rice/bean combo as you would regularly, then start layering in a 9x9 baking dish with tortillas. Bake the mixture (Don't remember the time or temp as I didn't realize I was going to have my apron on today) until cheese on top is nicely melted.

let stand approx 5 minutes before cutting and prepare for immediate artery hardening!

I usually go for this on a Friday night when I know I'm working Saturday, good nasal punishment for the guys on Sat AM eek.gif

C

quote:

Among the other interests as we get a little older is the fine art of cooking and dining.

By that metric I must be getting older. As You get older you do get to accomplish more things on your wish list. One of the items near the top of my list was to go big game Tuna Fishing. There is a link below of a set of photgraphs that I took of my friend Richard boating a 90lb. Yellow Fin Tuna using a "stand-up" rig.

Tuna Link

I hope that link works for you, the sever is a *little* slow 'tho

No Fighting chair, no straps. Just drop that bait (mostly butterfish or squid) and HANG on! Oh btw. Rich whipped this 80lb yellow fin in about 10 minutes eek.gif He is an acknowledged expert. I was truly pleased for him on this trip as he was skunked the year before. Oh, I happened cool.gif to win the big fish pool the year before with a beautiful 85 pounder. buts that another story

Rich would organise these trips for our shop and other friends and family. The trips were overniters that would sail out of Barnegat Light on the coast of New Jersey. We'd set out on the Miss Barnegat Light, a 25 knot 90 Aluminum catamaran at~6p.m. 5 hours later We'd arrive at the "Hudson Canyon, 90 miles out in the beautiful Atlantic ocean. The fish are UNBELEVABLY strong. I characterize the fight like this: They try to kill you!. You can see from the pictures sho Ritchie looks after the fight. Passage on this trips was a little over $200. well worth it. And My wife, son and daughter love fish so its worth it

The meat from this fish is some of the best eating in the world. I have many recipies that I've developed. and one of the easiest is waht i call "SALSA TUNA" it also works well with Salmon.

Crank your gas grill up to MAX.

Completly Cover each tun steak with your favorite salsa mix. Use Several as the variety is fun. Cook quickly but dont burn the bottom. The SAlsa with keep the top and center very moist. Goes great with Riast vegetables and your favorite beer or Chardonnay cheers.gif

-Keith

Un fortunatly Ritchie has since retired and our group is down to seven(7) men so these group trips are over frown.gif

Hey guy’s give this a little thought.

There is so much more to life than a can of Stagg chili, pickled eggs, Millionaires sardines (fish she is very small), and a roll of pumpernickel – dumping down a six pack of Bud with this kind of staple diet can only harm you, your loved ones, and your co-workers. frown.gif

How about some of those famous international recipes from our offshore members?

Personally I have never had the courage to try the curried East Indian food that many from England rave about, but hey, I’m an explorer and will make an effort here if somebody is willing to put something up; if I see ingredients like hemlock then I will know you’re really just trying to hurt me. biggrin.gif Some ingredients might not be commonly available to many on the forum so please try to be specific if you can.

What has been put up so far is great; perhaps CNC software could include a small excerpt in Version 10’s documentation. Keep the recipes coming and make me fat. smile.gif

(How about those Leafs? – Go Toronto) biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Regards, Jack

I like fish but heres another salmon recipe for some of you who arent crazy about it, try this:

Get 2-3 nice sized salmon around 22-28 inch range

and a nice peice of hickory board.Nail the fish

to the board through the eye dont damage the fillet, season with lemon juice butter garlic and a medley of other herbs and spices, bake in oven at 375 for 40 minutes, place on counter till cool,then last but not least throw the fish away and eat the board.

Jack any smoked sausage recipes?

Jack this should fill your cooking in the great outdoors requirement while also filling Chris' requirement of red meat.

GINGER FLANK STEAK WITH SAKE-GLAZED VEGETABLES

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup sake

1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1 2-pound flank steak

1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths

3 tablespoons peanut oil

2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch-wide strips

1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms, halved, each half cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices

4 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths

2 teaspoons cornstarch

Combine first 6 ingredients in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add meat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.

Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water to cool. Drain again.

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper strips and sauté 3 minutes. Add crimini mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add green onions and asparagus and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer vegetables to serving platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil in same skillet over high heat. Remove steak from marinade; reserve marinade. Add steak to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place reserved marinade in small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch. Whisk over high heat until sauce thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Cut steak across grain on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange steak slices atop vegetables on platter. Spoon some of sauce over meat and vegetables. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately

Jack,

You asked for it, and here it is. Every January for Robbie Burns' Day we have a heaping helping of this stuff...

A Detailed Haggis Recipe (from Michael Prothro, [email protected])

-1 sheep's stomach, thoroughly cleaned

-The liver, heart, and lights (lungs) of the sheep

-1 lb Beef suet

-2 large Onions

-2 tb Salt

-1 ts Freshly ground black pepper

-1/2 ts Cayenne or red pepper

-1/2 ts Allspice

-2 lb Dry oatmeal (the old-fashioned, slow-cooking kind)

-2-3 cups broth (in which the liver, heart and lights were cooked)

What you need: Canning kettle or a large spaghetti pot, 16- to 20 quart size with a lid to fit it; meat grinder; cheesecloth

What to do: If the butcher has not already cut apart and trimmed the heart, liver and lungs, do that first. It involves cutting the lungs off the windpipe, cutting the heart off the large blood vessels and cutting it open to rinse it, so that it can cook more quickly. The liver, too, has to be freed from the rest. Put them in a 4-quart pot with 2 to 3 cups water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about an hour and a half. Let it all cool, and keep the broth.

Run the liver and heart through the meat grinder. Take the lungs and cut out as much of the gristly part as you easily can, then run them through the grinder, too. Next, put the raw beef suet through the grinder. As you finish grinding each thing, put it in the big kettle. Peel, slice and chop the onions, then add them to the meat in the kettle. Add the salt and spices and mix.

The oatmeal comes next, and while it is customary to toast it or brown it very lightly in the oven or in a heavy bottomed pan on top of the stove, this is not absolutely necessary. When the oatmeal has been thoroughly mixed with the rest of it, add the 2 cups of the broth left from boiling the meat. See if when you take a handful, it sticks together. If it does, do not add the third cup of broth. If it is still crumbly and will not hold together very well, add the rest of the broth and mix thoroughly. Have the stomach smooth side out and stuff it with the mixture, about three-quarters full. Sew up the openings. Wrap it in cheesecloth, so that when it is cooked you can handle it.

Now, wash out the kettle and bring about 2 gallons of water to a boil in it. Put in the haggis and xxxx it all over with a skewer so that it does not burst. You will want to do this a couple of times early in the cooking span. Boil the haggis gently for about 4 or 5 hours. If you did not have any cheesecloth for wrapping the haggis, you can use a large clean dishtowel. Work it under with kitchen spoons to make a sling with which you can lift out the haggis in one piece. You will probably want to wear lined rubber gloves to protect your hands from the hot water while you lift it out with the wet cloth. (You put the dish cloth in the pot only after the haggis is done; you do not cook the towel with the haggis as you would the cheesecloth.)

Note: Even if the butcher has cleaned the stomach, you will probably want to go over it again. Turn the stomach shaggy side out and rinse. Rub it in a sinkful of cold water. Change the water and repeat as many times as necessary, until the water stays pretty clear and handling it does not produce much sediment as the water drains out of the sink.

For the BBQ - I like to take a pair of strip loin steaks and place them in a zip lock bag. Pour in some Golden Caeser Salad dressing and then seal up the bag. Leave these babies on the counter for the afternoon and then at 5, put them on the grill.

To test for doneness, make a fist and take your other finger an poke the folded skin between your thumb and knuckle. When the steak is done (nice a medium) the meat will yield to the touch of the tongs just as much as what you just felt!

A bottle of Cab Sauve and toasted garlic/cheese bread with a fresh chef salad and you are in my happy place.

I have also been inspired by Jennifer and Clarissa, who though ugly on television show their true beauty in the kitchen. I bought their cook books and shaved years off my lfe by eating some of their recipies. Patricia's other little naked dude - he can cook and the girls that are on his show make up for Jen and Clair.

Eat well my friends for it is the cullinary arts that separate us from the other species.

[ 04-23-2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Andrew McRae ]

Andrew, thanks for that vegetarian-diet-inspiring haggis recipe. I think the basic recipe for sausage goes like this:

1) Grind up all of the parts of an animal that no one in their right mind would ever eat.

2) Shove it up the animal's xxxx (intestine).

3) Enjoy!

[ 04-23-2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lovelace ]

+1

Amazing, simply amazing! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Soon to come is the Jackie Smackie Chicken Blackie - Don't ask about the name, but this is yet another original.

I still await some other international responses - Kudo's Andrew smile.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 04-24-2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]