Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Turn Profile

Wondering if anyone has tried the new turn profile in X5?

It has looked good from what I have seen.

turn.png

It will use the solid information instead of calculating a rotating part, very fast on the parts I have tried and creating straight lines and arcs.

Nice to see this in X5...

5 years ago I witnessed Mastercam losing a benchmark in Germany to Pro/NC and UG because of the lack of tools to generate "hüllerkurven" (Envelope curves)

The old tool (Before X5) failed miserably to generate the rotational envelope for a simple landing gear... it also has some bugs that were fixed in X2 I think...

Good for MC users... this is an important feature for MillTurn programmers...

• 4 weeks later...

I used it for the first time last week, but I could only use it for roughing. The profiles it created were not straight enough for the tollerances i had to hold! Maybe i need to tighten up the tesselation Tol.???

I agree! X5 Turn Profile still needs work. I am importing parasolids from Solidworks. Lines are not straight even after tightening tessellation tolerance.

When using Turn Profile in X5, it is strongly suggested to have 'Use solid properties' checked. When this is checked, you should get a clean, exact profile very quickly most of the time as the software is using a Parasolid kernel function to directly compute the profile from the solid entity. In some instances, the Parasolid function fails and the software reverts to the 'old' method. Generally in these cases you will get a Parasolid kernel error message box first. The reason for the 'Use solid properties' checkbox is that a small percentage of our test files computed very accurately and much faster using the 'old' method. Note that even with 'Use solid properties' unchecked, you will get better results in X5 than you did in X4.

• 1 year later...

When using Turn Profile in X5, it is strongly suggested to have 'Use solid properties' checked. When this is checked, you should get a clean, exact profile very quickly most of the time as the software is using a Parasolid kernel function to directly compute the profile from the solid entity. In some instances, the Parasolid function fails and the software reverts to the 'old' method. Generally in these cases you will get a Parasolid kernel error message box first. The reason for the 'Use solid properties' checkbox is that a small percentage of our test files computed very accurately and much faster using the 'old' method. Note that even with 'Use solid properties' unchecked, you will get better results in X5 than you did in X4.

I have encountered one of these "instances". Lines on straight OD's & ID's are coming in at a slight angle.

Anyone have a fix?