Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opinion: What's the best 4-axis backplot software?

jvarney

If money is an issue, Predator is a good choice.

If you've got the $$$, it's Vericut.. hands down...

if you buy Vericut for just one machine, without Machine Builder and all the bells and whistles

the purchase is not as expensive as you might think .

Vericut annual maintenance is painful though :(

make sure you ask up front, or you'll be in for a rude surprise a year down the road..

is there a problem with their backplot?

no.. backplot works very well..

The shortfall is with Verify.. it runs on Mastercam NCI and does not alway reflect actual machine tool movements.

For regular 3axis mills and 2 axis lathes , its perfectly adequate.

To accurately simulate 4 axis and 5 axis mills and multiaxis mill/turn machines you must run the posted gcode.

Mastercam Verify cannot do this so many people use a 3rd party solution like Vericut or Predator VCNC.

The new Machine Simulation introduced in X5 is taking steps correct this, but it still runs on NCI,

not gcode.

The new Machine Simulation in X5 also introduces a new back plat AND verify, that are worth while to check out as well.

Verify on a 3 axis as gcode stated, works and it works well.

MachSim is really aimed are addressing 4 & 5 axis verify and MachSim DOES verify gcode which it creates off of the nci file, it uses an internal post processor to create the gcode.

MachSim DOES verify gcode which it creates off of the nci file, it uses an internal post processor to create the gcode

but is it the same gcode you'll be running on the machine?

The logic can be implemented into your own 5 axis post to output something that would be really close to gcode simulation as the coordinates given to the mach sim would be generated from the the same logic which generate the Gcode you put on the machine. This way you know that if you have a choosen in your misc value to use the positive solution of your tilt axis instead of the negative, you will see the good movement on the screen, for example. I know it has been done already.

• 1 year later...

Thank You David,

I will try this out 1st thing Monday.

Let me share the purpose I am after.

Customer supply us Catia generated programs to machine Titanium shims, .015+-.001 thickness 240" long.

Them that walk on water are tied up and I have been asked to do the next part, following "exact parameters that have been developed, tested, and proven and not to be deviated from".

So im looking for stepovers, ramp angles...etc.

BTW, this are 5-axis programs. Would NC2DXF handle this code?