Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Lathe Suggestion

I could not find specs on okums website for LT300MY? Is this an older machine? Will look into the 550W. I'm not sure if they will go for a MACTURN though. The operators here are pretty old school and the one getting this new machine WILL NOT touch a computer to program. He only uses canned cycles and fat-fingers everybit of it.

Yes I agree. A 12" will fit but a 10" would be better. The problem is nearly all large twin turret lathes do not have a Y axis

We already have several 10" lathes and NEED BIGGER. So in this case 10" would not be better. As for the Y-axis, this is the exact problem we are running into.

Never buy a machine for an operator, buy (or train) an operator for the machine

Unfortunately it is not up to me. I have already made this comment.

We are looking into MacTurn 550 this machine looks promising. I will talk it over with the owner and GM.

Thanks for the guidance.

It's kind of hard to find a machine that big w/ yaxis. The problem is, most compound slide machines only have +/- 3" stroke at the most on the Y axis. Not gonna do ya much good if your part is 10" in dia. A big b axis mill turn is going to be your best bet. And as others have said, going to provide you with a lot more room.

Mike

MacTurns are beautiful machines; I visited Okuma's Nagoya plant, which builds these machines, and they are rugged as heck under the sheetmetal. Be prepared for some sticker shock, though, because they ain't cheap. I would suggest Capto for the spindle and lower-turret tools so you can use the same turning tools top and bottom.

C

Taper,

Several problems with that style machine in my mind:

1) you only have [1] tool in the cut at a time

2) no handoff capability for second side machining

3) Turning tool overhangs are ridiculous

4) 1100 RPM isn't gonna cut it for turning

5) no barfeeding capability

If you are looking for a milling machine that can turn, that style machine is very nice, if you are looking for a turning machine that can mill, that style machine is not for you, if you are looking to split the difference a MacTurn or other machine with a subspindle and lower turret (or two) is the way to go in my opinion.

C

Taper,

Several problems with that style machine in my mind:

1) you only have [1] tool in the cut at a time

2) no handoff capability for second side machining

3) Turning tool overhangs are ridiculous

4) 1100 RPM isn't gonna cut it for turning

5) no barfeeding capability

If you are looking for a milling machine that can turn, that style machine is very nice, if you are looking for a turning machine that can mill, that style machine is not for you, if you are looking to split the difference a MacTurn or other machine with a subspindle and lower turret (or two) is the way to go in my opinion.

C

Those are all valid arguments for getting a real lathe.

However, consider the advantages:

Up to 120 tools in the magazine...how many times have you run out of turret positions and still need to add a tap or reamer?

Optional pallet changer...one part can be loaded while another is turned or two different jobs can be run alternately.

Mill work done from any angle to .001 degree.

18000 rpm on the mill spindle and 30hp.

This machine is for big parts with lots of details to be machined in.

Not arguing at all that those machines do not have value, they certainly do. Mazak, Okuma, Matsuura, and other have spent millions in development for machines like what you showed in the linked video. The only point I was trying to make is that those machines are not ideal for "turn/mill" applications.