Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma MacTurn 250

We'll be getting one from one of our sister companies. Supposedly it'd been barely used and they don't even have a post for it...:wacko:.

We need a 5 axis desperately but not really a mill-turn. Looks like this machine will only have +/-3.5" travel in y axis (supposedly a 7 axis machine)

Any users out there that have any insight into this cnc? Software to run it, posts etc...

We do a lot of multiaxis tubes and brackets here with tons of surfacing.

TIA

Mark, where are you located?

The MacTurn is a bada$$ machine but it doesn't seem like it will answer all of your prayers. Greg Williams is a pretty sharp Okuma multi-function guy; I have a bunch of Okuma machines and think they're great, but the type of work you're talking about is outside of my wheelhouse.

C

Thank Tom for moving it to the right forum.

Chris, I'm in Denver. I did search for any related info and looks like you're a big fan of those machines. Can't really find ANY negative opinion about them so that's very encouraging.

Any suggestions for the right software/post combination?

Mark I don't have any multi-tasking machines here so I do not have the ability to speak intelligently about this. Perhaps you can contact the local Okuma store and ask their applications guys what software / posts they use to program demos and turnkeys. I have heard that Esprit and Partmaker have some powerful multi-tasking machine programming power but I have never tried them OR Mastercam.

Okuma lathes, of which we have [15] (and potentially [2] or [3] more in the works this year), rock HARD, and I have been told many good things about MacTurns; we don't have any application for that machine here, though.

C

Mark I don't have any multi-tasking machines here so I do not have the ability to speak intelligently about this. Perhaps you can contact the local Okuma store and ask their applications guys what software / posts they use to program demos and turnkeys. I have heard that Esprit and Partmaker have some powerful multi-tasking machine programming power but I have never tried them OR Mastercam.

Okuma lathes, of which we have [15] (and potentially [2] or [3] more in the works this year), rock HARD, and I have been told many good things about MacTurns; we don't have any application for that machine here, though.

C

Mark, I work for an Okuma Dealer in the Apps dept. We use Esprit for all of the lathes/multifunction machines we support. We have posts that support full syncing with proper wait codes etc. For milling we use what our customers dictate. One thing to check is the actual machine specs. The B axis has options just like a B in a horizontal. It could be .1degree, .001 degree, or full NC. To do full 5 axis simultaneous cutting you need to have a full NC B axis.

Good info guys.

I don't know exact specs as of yet but I sure hope for a full B axis. It's not an ideal machine for what we do but I understand that we could be getting a great deal on it.

I was a little dissatisfied with InHouse the last time we got a right angle head post from them. It took too many tries to get it right ;)

I was told that we might get Espirit quoted for this machine, but we'll see how far this will go.

YoDoug, I think Hartwig is our local okuma reseller. Are you associated with them?

Thanks again for the good info gents.

Mark, I don't think there is any physical change required to the machine to get a full B, but there would be a software change required if the machine doesn't have it already. Okuma software changes aren't inexpensive, but if you're getting the machine for little money it could be a (relatively) cheap upgrade.

C

Mark, I work for Hegman Machine tools. We are only associated with Hartwig in that we are both Okuma distributors. As for the B-axis, standard is 1 deg indexing. Optional are .001 indexing and .001 index/full NC. I know that the 1 deg is a different coupling system so it is not field upgradeable. As for the .001 index to full NC it may be upgradeable through a software change, but you would need to have Hartwig check with Okuma.

• 4 months later...

May want to check with your sister company, about the Okuma Admac software. I think it is std with a MacTurn purchase. It actually is pretty good to verify your program before machining, sync codes etc. included. At first the Admac is very tough to deal with (I felt it sucked), but then after using it at another place & instructed its much better.