Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't open solidworks file

Nils N

Thanks guys that helped.

Scott I updated to MU3 and that worked. I was able to open the Solidworks file.

Dave, before I updated I had the customer send me a parasolid file and had no problem opening the file.

So in the end I got it open and and updated to MU3, now I just need to get X5.

Thanks again for the help guys :D

Unless it's just my set-up, you'll still need to convert to a parasolid for solidworks assemblys to open in MC

Not true. You can open SW assemblies in MC, and you can even select configs if you have the correct release. In order to open SW 2011 files, you need MC X5. I currently run SW 2011 and need to save files as parasolids to open them in MC X4MU3

Not true. You can open SW assemblies in MC, and you can even select configs if you have the correct release. In order to open SW 2011 files, you need MC X5. I currently run SW 2011 and need to save files as parasolids to open them in MC X4MU3

I beg to differ. I have yet to be able to open SW assembly files. I have no problem opening part files but I get the "no parasolid data" error with assembly files. My reseller tried to help me with this with no luck, he contacted CNC Software but never got a definite answer. I sent my reseller an assembly file and he opened it on all his machines except the one that didn't have SW on it.

I have come to believe that it's because I don't have SW installed on my machine.

It seems to be an ongoing "freak issue" Sometimes it happens sometimes not. I've never been able to figure out any differences between the ones that give me problems and the ones that don't. I usually open solidworks and save as a .stp file and never have a problem doing it that way. On the other hand, if I didn't have solidworks, i would be screwed many times.

Don't sweat it..

From SolidWorks,,

File Save As choose X_B and save.

Problem solved..

for a bonus.. build a SolidWorks coordinate system that reflects your Mastercam Top Plane ( or any other orientation you might require)

Select that from Options when you Save As X_B and your assembly lands in Mastercam as defined in SolidWorks

I've tried opening *.sdlasm files on four different machines here and it works on all of them

Three are running X5, mine is running X5 MU1 beta...

I never use it though...

The ability to export SW coordinate systems with a X_B file is worth far more to me than the convenience

of opening the native SLDASM file

After installing MU3 I was able to open the Solidworks file. But for what ever reason the parasolid file they sent me opened much cleaner than sis the Solidworks file. In the Solidworks file .sldprt, i had extra surfaces and a few other odd things. Not sure if it's them saving it or what. The parasolid file open with none of the problems I saw in the .sldprt file. So for now I have them save as parasolid, I know it works :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to open up a can of worms, but.....

After installing MU3 I was able to open the Solidworks file. But for what ever reason the parasolid file they sent me opened much cleaner than sis the Solidworks file. In the Solidworks file .sldprt, i had extra surfaces and a few other odd things. Not sure if it's them saving it or what. The parasolid file open with none of the problems I saw in the .sldprt file. So for now I have them save as parasolid, I know it works :rolleyes:

My original post was in regard to the PC that I'd first installed MCX5 into and being unable to open solidworks assembly's.

Because some yahoos on dayshift corrupted that machine and a couple of others with crap off the internet, I inherited a former CAD guy's PC, (downsized.. :angry:) and it has Solidworks 2011 X64 edition.

While this PC will now open assemblys I get the exact same crap that Nils gets. Missing features (ie: cap screws etc.)and misshapen-ed features.

Model opens up flawlessly (and crisper?)from an X_B file and thanks gcode for the hint for establishing coordinates. Worked great once I figured out how in SW

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to open a Solidworks file, ".sldprt "and keep getting the message "Cannot find Parasolid data in Solidworks file" is there a reson I can't open Solidworks any more?

I'm running X4 MU1 Multiaxis

Here is a fix that worked for me that I posted back earlier in the year when I could not open a Solidworks file.

Open command prompt by clicking Start -> Run and type:

cmd[enter]

then change directory by typing:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\mcamx5\common\SWORKSDATA"

Then run this command:

regsvr32 SWDocumentMgr.DLL

Now Mastercam X5 is working properly. I hope this helps others with the same issue.

Carmen

This works great to fix that annoying bug!!

• 8 months later...

I use the MasterCAM X4 MU1 Multiaxis and SW2010 for a while already and never ever had any issues to open the SW2010 .sldrp files in MasterCAM X4. But since January 1, 2012 I see the error message "Cannot find Parasolid data in SolidWorks file" and I have no explanation for this because I didn't change anything in my system - Windows OS itself, MasterCAM, and SW2010.

I tried to re-register the SQDocumentMgr.dll but this did not help.

What could be a reason of this error message and is there any way to fix it?

Thank,

Andrey

• Like 1

"...I have no explanation for this because I didn't change anything in my system..."

But are the SW files you are getting from SW2010 or something newer? If they're from a newer version of SW, you won't be able to open them in X4 MU1 since that version of Mastercam was released before SW2011 and doesn't know how to access them.

Unless...

You use the SWDocumentMgr.DLL that comes with SW2011 (or SW2012). Register THAT version and you should be able to open the newer SW files in X4 Mu1.

Note to all:

I've uploaded the SW2012 SWDocumentMgr.DLL (32- and 64-bit versions) to "ftp.mastercam.com/Customer Area/From Mastercam/SW2012 SWDocumentMgr DLLs". Hopefuly this link will get you there:

the Mastercam FTP site

• 3 years later...