Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

endmill holders

rgollar

As of lately I have been getting into alot of high speed machining. As of right now I use er collet holders. I think they are good for simple machining but for high speed machining I think they lack. My question is what are other people using that they like for more rigidity and better holding power. I have a brand new haas v-f2 40 taper, and a 1997 fadal which is pretty much as new as my haas. I just had it totally rebuilt and I mean everything. So Could I get some ideas what other people are using for better idea for holders. Thanks

...that they like for more rigidity and better holding power...

I trully belive that in any machine the holders will make a difference.

I have some Schunk "sino-R", SCHUNK , the endmills I run in these last 2-3 time that of any "ER" - "TG" holder I have, and setscrew holders I try to avoid if possible.

You cant use these for everything, but I try to keep them with endmills in them.

I think anything that requires special machinery to work, like Shrink fit is too expensive (requires heat machine), except for really high end machines. Some will argue with this line of thought...?

These Schunk sino-R are a tighten to a dead stop with a spanner wrench and forget, run out is exceptional!!!

My .002

Mark

I've used the Kennametal hydraulic system before and believe they are an exceptional system. I think shrink fits are better, but the added machinery needed really makes it difficult for the operators to change holders if needed. Especially since the only holder kept at each machine is a long nose 3/8" ema for edge finders and indicator shanks which the operators are always changing out. The shrink systems I've seen take several minutes to heat up enough to release the tool which is lost time.

Shrink-fit is great for endmills in hsm- having switched a while back, I can say they will pay for themselves in a short time by increasing tool life and accuracy in the cut. But, you really need to use true HSM to get the most benefit. You will see a difference even on a Haas....on something truly high-speed, it is a necessity.

HSM...on a Haas or a Fadal? LMFAO!! Yer kidding right?

Yeah I was waiting for that one, But you have to do what you can with what you have

I have a rep coming out from Schunk this Thursday and bringing out a new holder they just came out with. Sounds impressive the rep said the er have around 140 lbs torque and the new ones that are hydralic are 900lbs and will be true with in .0001 all day he said. I guess I will find out. And the price is the real kicker the holder is only $199.00 and the sleeve is $79.00 that almost seams to good to be true.

" The shrink systems I've seen take several minutes to heat up enough to release the tool which is lost time."

The Haimer system we use is usually under 10 seconds, much faster with the small dia. tooling. The cooling takes some time though. I usually set up my tools and turn the chiller on ahead of time.

The thing that heat shrink tooling does well is give you very narrow and long necks on the holder that will go where the others won't.