Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

So what is the secret? STL placement

neurosis

I am machining a part that has several operations oriented several different ways. I am using two machine definitions in the part file. One vertical, and one horizontal.

the first two operations are roughing operations, both done on a vertical machine. The part then gets moved to the horizontal machine for finish.

I am having a hell of a time trying to get the STL (to be used for rest roughing) to place over the part. I dont usually have this much trouble. What is the secret to get this thing to end up where it is supposed to?

Check out the Stock View setting on the Stock Setup Page in the OPS mamager.

Typically you want to leave that set to the plane from the first Machine Group

I had my stock view set to the first Machine Group and first operations wcs since that was the operation and operation view that the original stock was created in. We have a strange grain call out on this part so the material was rotated 50 degrees from system wcs and then I just created my views and operations around the rotated stock.

Usually when I create STL for rest rough I will set my stock view to the original stock's view, then once I have my roughing operations created, some times there are more than one roughing operation as in this case, I will change my wcs BACK to the original stocks wcs, simulate, and then save as STL. On this part file the stl placement was very strange.

I ended up getting it to work by making the second roughing operations wcs active, re-running the simulation, and then re-saving the STL. For some reason that placed the STL in the correct place. :shrug:. Maybe there is an explanation for this?

xform,stl

should work.

should also give you a low quality preview while tweaking the numbers.

The xform - stl is a pain in the butt to use. :D I usually will try to get my stock placement correct without having to tinker with that. It would be nice if it were more intuitive or had better functionality. Maybe similar to dynamic xform?

• 3 months later...

I hear your pain. I have been trying to position my stl file for rest roughing on a particular piece for awhile now. No matter what I do it always comes in in some strange orientation. I have to rotate it and translate it to get it into position.

The worst part of it is if I create the toolpath and then decide to change a parameter, it completely discards the file and I have to start all over again.

It has to be the most frustrating part of my day screwing around with this crap.

I miss my Powermill :(

• Like 1

If all ops are in one mc file and you use ONLY wcs to "re-orient" the part for different ops just set the stock in your 1st mach def you're done. EASY. That's the way I've done it for years.

How ever if you must have different ops in separate mc files then the only way I found it to "work" is copy your geometry/model in previous op, paste it in next op, orient it to exactly overlay the geometry/model you're working on and write the x-form ops down as you orient the part. When you're happy with the results do the same to the stl file from previous op. Pain in the butt, but works well.

Or wait for X6 ;-)

And the important part is to always use TOP as your stock view. If you don't ==>> the things get complicated fast.

This is what I've found. I always leave my stock view as TOP, but also, regardless of what WCS your toolpaths are running in, you need to set the WCS back to TOP before running verify. Then, when you save the STL, everything gets oriented right, and it's a complete no-brainer.

Always use top to do any stl work. Make sure stock view and safety view zone are set to top as well in your machine definitions. Draw or import the part to print datums if defined. Add stock.

These 3 rules I follow religiously on every file I make. I have files with MANY machine groups, toolpath groups and WCS setups. I sometimes use solids for stock setup, sometimes stl models. All depends on whats available or quicker.

Only thing that sucks is I can't do the same things I do for our verticals as I do for our horizontal. Transitioning from a vertical setup to a horizontal setup can be a bit of a pain!

edit:: WCS is really the key to removing a lot of headaches with stock placement.