Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wheres the newbies

mold100

Of our 5750 members 4077 never posted, maybe they just didnt need to answer or ask a question but I am curious to see how many of them float in and out, And where our diverse forum members are from, Ca. seems still pretty dominate with the top posters.

Welcome all new Members. biggrin.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm one of those 4077. Actually, I did make one post in August, 2002.

We had Mastercam for nearly a year before we started trying to really use it. I know that's crazy, and it is a long story that I won't bore you with.

Meanwhile I have poped in here quite often, and have read a lot of posts that helped prepare me for the initial conversion to Mastercam. We also have the tutorials that came with MC, books from In-House Solutions, and both of Charles Davis's books. In addition, we just recently brought in the Mastercam folks for a week of on sight training.

Reading this forum, however, may be the best thing I have done. It is an incredible source of information; I thank you one and all for sharing your wealth of knowledge. Someday I hope to reach a level of competance that I can actually answer a few questions.

cheers.gif

Tom Vanderbilt

I am a relative "newbie" in the forum and I'll be here as long as it is open for business.I check the forum as often as I can and try to join in when I think I know what I am talking about.There is a lot of knowledge in here.I think it would be cool if we started a thread were everyone put up a bio.It would give everyone a sense of what each other was into and mabey expand the regular list. Plus it might make for the biggest thread ever.

cheers.gif Noel

This forum is great for trying to figure out problems... I haven't posted much either since I signed up. Kinda the same theory of jumping in only when I'm sure I know what I'm talkin' about. But I'm on here reading stuff every day. We are lucky to have some great support from CNC SOFTWARE and I've got the tutorials and the books from Charles Davis... All really strong resources. Corey... I'm from Busti, NY just about a half hour from Erie... Moving to NC was the best thing I ever did... Lots of opportunity here compared to "home" You guys take it easy... cheers.gif

Dan

I've got to tell you,ve got to have what I would consider to be my dream job.It must be satisfying seeing the fruits of your labour out there on the track every week.I build molds ang get little joy in seeing shampoo bottles on the shelf at the grocery store.I have often thought of relocating to NC to try and get in with a NASCAR team in the shop.My first love is horse power and racing.However it would be hard to leave family and freinds behind and relocate.Not to mention the green card thing.Whats the job maket like down there for machinests/NC programers.I'm very impressed with how Sadler has been running this year.Keep making that big Yates horse power and he should do well.

Noel teh Green with envy

Noel, I second that 100%. On your way down there, get a bigger truck and pick me up on the way. Actually was just down there for the race in march at Darlington. Was that a race or what? Spent a couple of days in Mooreseville and the surrounding areas for a couple of days. Went to all the nascar shops too. Very cool... except, being a machinist and all, I wanted to see the machine shops and all I kept getting was a big NO! frown.gif All the wifes idea too, she's a keeper. biggrin.gif Anyway, 3 month newbie here, getting better each day thanks to all of you on this board.

Greg

The job market here in the Charlotte area is strong right now. Its kind of tough in the racing business because of the economy and sponsors coming and going and some teams closing up shop, but for the most part people with good work ethics and the willingness to bear down and get it done don't have too much trouble. And hopefully we start seeing more of those fruits of labor on the race tracks! cheers.gif

I am relatively new to the forum myself as you can see. I have only been using mastercam for about a year now but have moved along very well so I am told. I use it io program 2 Integrex machines with great success. I have the advantage of being both the programmer and the machine operator though. That makes life a little easier. I have been in the field for roughly 7 years and loved every minute of it. The area that I am in doesn't offer that high of a wage for the type of work that I do, but when you back that up with the fact that you can buy a 3 bedroom house with 2 baths and a good size yard for between 18 and 50,000 depending on if you want a fixer-upper or not, it s not that bad.

quote:

when you back that up with the fact that you can buy a 3 bedroom house with 2 baths and a good size yard for between 18 and 50,000 depending on if you want a fixer-upper or not, it s not that bad.

So if I sold my house in San Diego, I could go there and buy a dozen just like it? With bigger yards??

'Rekd teh "Pack yer sh!t, woman, we're leaving!"

I have been going to Bike Week in Florida for years, and for the past 4 years Mooresville and vicinity has been my regular stop (only a few hrs. off I95). Always spend a couple of days there checking out the shops, but never allowed to see the machine shops...Maybe one day...

quote:

buy a 3 bedroom house with 2 baths and a good size yard for between 18 and 50,000

Well, that just depressed the sh*t out of me; thanks

Currently trying to buy a house for 5-6X that and looking at stuff that makes me say "$300K for THAT?!?!"

Man....

quote:

yeah but you would pbobably make 1/3 or less than what you get paid now

Hrmmm... If I sold my house here, bought a small jet and a cozy house over there, I could commute. I work right next to the aeropuerto, and I'm sure I could buy some land there and toss a chunk of tarmak on it for a runway...

'Rekd teh Someone slap me before I start seriously considering moving... eek.gif

quote:

Currently trying to buy a house for 5-6X that and looking at stuff that makes me say "$300K for THAT?!?!"

Let's not forget the taxes on that house...Where I live it's about 7K per year

quote:

Rekd....there is an airport in this town

Yeah? Even better! How bout computers and the internet? In-N-Out Burgers? Freeways? biggrin.gif

Seriously, one of my brothers and his family live in Ellwood City, PA. He's a manual machinist. The last time we were out there we drove 8 hrs to Rome to see my dad on fathers day. Had lunch for about an hour, then promptly drove back to PA. :/ I think I saw 2 buildings the whole trip that were taller than the trees. Kind of reminded me of Oregon. biggrin.gif

'Rekd teh Sittin' under a Douglas Fir, sipping homemade apple h00che

Greg,

You're absolutely right. I don't do cold real well. But my jet's gonna have a heater! biggrin.gif

I spend 2-3 hrs a day commuting. More on Fridays unless I take the bike, (Then I spend a few hours a week in court..). I give 1/3rd of my check to the gobment, then pay them another couple grand at the end of the year. (That should change now with Baby Rekd) All that on top of sales, property, luxury and any other taxes. Maybe I should start paying the Stupid Tax too.. (That's the lottery here in Ca, it's basically just a tax on people that are bad at math.)

I grow to hate this toilet more and more every year. And I agree with Godsmak when they say 'Learn to swim' because the only cure is to '..flush it all away'

'Rekd teh I had to buy a permit to say 'teh'

quote:

Corey... I'm from Busti, NY just about a half hour from Erie... Moving to NC was the best thing I ever did... Lots of opportunity here compared to "home" You guys take it easy...

Actually I am moving to North Carolina probably next week,I am leaving tonight to see some houses

then back to Pa. for a few days then I am off to work. I will be a programmer/Toolmaker and learning Mold Design in a mold shop that also does precision machining that the Owner is an Earnhardt, So D.E.I. work is not uncommon.

Just wanted to say hello to all, I been a member for a while. I float in and out on here checking out all of the interesting comments and and tips, I haven't really ran into any major problems yet in mastercam, but when I do I'll definately post it on here. I program 3,4 & starting on 5 axis here where i work. I have been using mastercam since 95. I work for a company called PROFAB in oklahomacity (www.profab.com). I do recommend to everyone who has to do there own posts to get the V9 MP post processor cd - It covers everything. We have just about every type of machine here and I'm stuck with doin most of the post work and its a big help. cool.gif