Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A Poll: Retirement Ages And Destinations

Alias

I got another 20 years to go, but lately I'm just plain burnt out and tired and thinking about how nice it would be to take a breath and relax. All I want to do is drive my golf cart back and forth to the grocery store (and liquor store cheers.gif ) and the golf course.

A Poll: When and where do you runny-snot-nosed green horns plan on retiring?

I'll give it another 20 years.

Although My wife reminds me I have

three kids to send to college and

two weddings to pay for.

So I guess I'll have make it 25 years to go.

My wife loves her new VW Bug convertible...

make it 26 years frown.gif

I'll retire to some place like "On Golden Pond"

[ 06-12-2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Tony ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm thinking I probably won't be able to retire until I can't get out of bed anymore. Nice thought though. Really, I'll probably always have a job, probably Teach after I retire from my day job. Not sure where I want to live.

I think I will move to somewhere between Myrtle Beach, SC & Calabash, NC and do some crabin' and fishing EVERYDAY. Go to as many dog shows as possible. Get season tickets to whatever major league team my kids play on.

I have to stop typing now. I am getting all excited biggrin.gif

Nothing better in life than the simple things that make you smile.

Hopefuly 20 more years.Retire in Northern Ontario with a big enough peice of land to fly Rc planes on. Do some golfing and drive my hotrod around all day.Hopefuly have my own shop by then with someone running it for me.One can always dream.

cheers.gif Noel

quote:

I will by then probably be retiring from from another trade

It ain't gonna be rocket science...

Hey Paul, wrap that rascal! 4 kids at your age eek.gif

I've got 2 and I'm going crazy; your wife must be a saint!

I figure I'll die on the job from a head explosion long before the 35 years I've got left to retirement age.

C

[ 06-12-2003, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: chris m ]

I suppose I could "officially" retire in 15 years, but with 2 kids in college and one just going into High School.... 15 years will probably not be long enough to pay it all off before retirement. Besides, I am laying out my next shop to be wheelchair friendly biggrin.gif . I might slow down, but I refuse to quit.

My old boss had 2 friends. A couple in their early 40's when my boss became friendly with them. He and his wife began saving for a retirement home on the chesapeake bay in Md. They lookd forward to the day when they would retire together to this place.

In their late 50's they started looking. Finally they found the place. They lived for this place. They had saved for new furnishings which they began buying as settlement approached. He retired at 62 and she a bit younger. Their dream was finnaly at hand.

While moving the furniture into the home, he died of a heart attack. My boss said to me ... nomatter how much you plan for tommorrow, dont loose sight of living for today.

As for me ... Im 37 with a 16 YO daughter, single parent. I plan on having a mid life crisis in about 2-3 years, then we will go from there. biggrin.gif

[ 06-12-2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

Depends what you mean by retirement. The best definition I've heard is "Being able to have enough things going that you don't have to go to work if you don't want".

I can't imagine not doing something productive and profitable, but slowing down would be nice.

For me it's a little house in Borrego Desert (about 1 hour East of San Diego). Hot, dry and beautiful. Morning walks in the desert, riding the Road King, and traveling North when the temp gets over 105 degrees.

Most of my life I worked two jobs or at least one full time and a part time. For nine years I was a third shift millwright (11 days off the entire year) and owned and operated a 300 acre farm at the same time.

Got older and stayed broke.

In the early 90's I was running a machine shop and decided something had to change. I went to Vocational College full time nights after working all day. 72 credits in two years.

Things got better and I had better job oportunities.

7 years ago I quit my programming job and went home to work for myself.

Now I work sometimes doing something I absolutely love and play a lot. Retire? What for?

My advice. If you do not like what you are doing, figure out what you would like to do and make it happen.

The place i am at is really cool to work at. Its probably the most layed back place i have ever seen and they also offer a retirement along with the 401k.

I started here when i was 22, my goal is 30 years then i am getting the hell out at 52! There is to many fish to be caught and places to see. I am in central ohio now and my goal is to move to alpena michigan by lake huron. The only thing that really sucks is there is 25 more years to go!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

My advice. If you do not like what you are doing, figure out what you would like to do and make it happen.

Similar to what my Grandpa says;

"Find something you love to do, figure out a way to make money doing it and you'll never have to work a day in your life." That philosophy has helped me get where I am today.

Thanks Grandpa! cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif