Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating Curves

Holstein83

I just started using Mastercam x5 for the first time last week. I am familiar with Solid Edge as well as the Adobe suite so this is a new field for me. I am learning it for the purpose of programming mills. Going through the Quick Start manual, I saw the 'creating curves' section. What is the purpose of it in terms of machining? The only physical change I can see is it changing line colors and adding faint lines on a solid.

Welcome to the Forum!

If you bring a model into Mastercam sometimes there are no edges (depending on the type of file). When ever I am programing I always use as many 2d tool paths as possible so you need the edges or curves to drive the geometry.

I usually create my curves on a separate level.

Good luck.

I just started using Mastercam x5 for the first time last week. I am familiar with Solid Edge as well as the Adobe suite so this is a new field for me. I am learning it for the purpose of programming mills. Going through the Quick Start manual, I saw the 'creating curves' section. What is the purpose of it in terms of machining? The only physical change I can see is it changing line colors and adding faint lines on a solid.

Open a solid or surfasce model. delete all wireframe entities. Now got to create menu and create a curve on all surfaces/solids or just one edge. Then screen/hide/wireframe (check all wireframe) to leave only the wireframe on the screen so you can see what it did for ya.

Hey Holstein I love the name and welcome to the forum. The other all have great advice and one other thing I will add is if you're importing any files in as surfaces you may get double entities and overlapping edges which can be a PAIN when trying to either chain a toolpath or create geometry.

So, one suggestion is to import any solids and surface files with edge curve off and then create them as you need them. Of course this is dependent on what kind of files you are working on and how clean they come in. Most if not all solids should come in clean with only the proper edges but if you don't need the full wireframe why bring it in?

Just another suggestion, something the user can flavor to what they need.

Good luck

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there Bud,

I started using MC about 6 months ago myself (new job and all) and I have to say I was at a total loss as to why I had to create curves as well. I was used to programming entirely from the 3D model (Powermill). However, with MC, using the 3D model to program is waste of time for the most part, and it appears as though the majority of your programs are created using wireframe that is created from the 3D model, either in surface or solid form. My best suggestion to you is to not select the entire model and create wire as it just makes it too confusing. Try creating wireframe only as you need it, and put all different operations on seperate levels, otherwise your screen is going to get too clutered up with overlapping lines etc., which can make for a real pain in the behind.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Good luck :)

"However, with MC, using the 3D model to program is waste of time for the most part, and it appears as though the majority of your programs are created using wireframe that is created from the 3D model, either in surface or solid form. My best suggestion to you is to not select the entire model and create wire as it just makes it too confusing. Try creating wireframe only as you need it, and put all different operations on seperate levels, otherwise your screen is going to get too clutered up with overlapping lines etc., which can make for a real pain in the behind."

Simply put, this is wrong. With only the solid, no lines or other entities present, you can rough and finish the entire model, no problem. Using depth limits, check surfaces, and limiting angles will assist on controlling where the tool touches the part. Complexity of the model and it's size will dictate whether or not to create surfaces. Calculation time reduction is one good reason to use surfaces instead of the entire model. Some people prefer the surfaces all together and never tool path off the model. Then boundaries start to come into play. Some of the 3D tool paths are governed by these chains no doubt but isn't this the case with any CAM app? The 2D HST tool paths require chains and do not use a model to drive the tool, and in some cases are proving to be more efficient than 3D HST tool paths, regardless of which CAM package your using.

I worked on a fairly curvy punch today and not a single entity other than the solid was used although I'll often use all of the above methods to control whats taking place.

all great suggestions and input. just to chime in. you can cut to a solid model using solid edges but am old fashion I gues, i still like to create edge curves to drive to. a couple of advantages are, you can fudge them a bit if you want to swing internal arcs (ie, .25 internal rad with .5 cutter you may want to make it a .255 rad). thats just my world of having a bit of tolerance. it gives you a lot more control. also keep in mind solids can corrupt in mcam, its a great software but not perfect.

doug

You have absolutely no idea just how much I miss my Delcam products. I had to leave it to stay gainfully employed being as my last place of work went under.

Believe me, the first chance I get to go back to working with PM, I will jump all over it.

Hey Aeroguy bud,

what made you come from Powermill to MC? you must be missing PM for sure.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, and this is just my opinion. When it comes to 2D work and engraving, Mastercam is fantastic, however you have to create curves, arcs, lines etc to drive the toolpath, and you have to be very carefull where you pick your Z depths on multiple entities. But when it comes to 3D surface toolpaths, Mastercam sucks, no matter if your using the solid model, or surfaces.

Just my opinion though.

"However, with MC, using the 3D model to program is waste of time for the most part, and it appears as though the majority of your programs are created using wireframe that is created from the 3D model, either in surface or solid form. My best suggestion to you is to not select the entire model and create wire as it just makes it too confusing. Try creating wireframe only as you need it, and put all different operations on seperate levels, otherwise your screen is going to get too clutered up with overlapping lines etc., which can make for a real pain in the behind."

Simply put, this is wrong. With only the solid, no lines or other entities present, you can rough and finish the entire model, no problem. Using depth limits, check surfaces, and limiting angles will assist on controlling where the tool touches the part. Complexity of the model and it's size will dictate whether or not to create surfaces. Calculation time reduction is one good reason to use surfaces instead of the entire model. Some people prefer the surfaces all together and never tool path off the model. Then boundaries start to come into play. Some of the 3D tool paths are governed by these chains no doubt but isn't this the case with any CAM app? The 2D HST tool paths require chains and do not use a model to drive the tool, and in some cases are proving to be more efficient than 3D HST tool paths, regardless of which CAM package your using.

I worked on a fairly curvy punch today and not a single entity other than the solid was used although I'll often use all of the above methods to control whats taking place.

That's if you don't use incremental Z depths right?

3-D surface paths in Mastercam are something it does very well as well. Powermill is a great software and you are probably quite familiar with it. How long have you been using Mastercam for? Just asking because if you're 'stuck' with Mastercam, and you're just starting hopefully we can help you make the best use out of it, and maybe there's some frustrations which don't need to be there.

You have absolutely no idea just how much I miss my Delcam products. I had to leave it to stay gainfully employed being as my last place of work went under.

Believe me, the first chance I get to go back to working with PM, I will jump all over it.

You obviously don't know what you’re doing, quit whining and learn how to use the software. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Actually they are a great bunch of guys, but I think they fear for their jobs. New guy, new ideas and all that.

No worries though, I am sure I will get beat down eventually.

Have you tried asking, they're probably a great bunch of guys who are more than willing to help, they are after all MASTER CAM users ;)

• Like 1