Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hackers beware

Charles Davis

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles,

quote:

The Washington Post reports that the Senate Judiciary chairman is endorsing technology that would remotely destroy the computers of people who illegally download copyrighted material from the internet.

Endorse this all that he wants - this amounts to the malicious attack and prosecution of an alleged offender.

Endorsing such fallacy is one thing - enforcing it is indeed quite another. This insult to my intelligence and the whole paintbrush routine that we have all become accustomed to sort of sickens me as of late. Government bureaucracy and BS is all the familiar mix and I do not have a problem with paint brushing them as pig trough snorting and double speak experts - but hey, that's only my humble opinion.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Reminds me of the VHS Tape debacle.

Remember all the FBI warnings on the tapes ?

This is the same panic reaction as back then.

Somebody needs to set these people down and show them how easy it is to download pirated crap, then maybe they would think about better ways of controlling content that gets on the backbone of the Net in the first place ! You read the article and he says a "few hundred thousand" users get their equipment destroyed they'll understand the seriousness of their actions. Is this guy for real in 2003 ? How many millions have net access ?

What an idiot. Sorry for the long rant but until cooler heads prevail this isn't gonna stop it.

This guy is a total moron.

First of all if he keeps opening his mouth like this,some 15 year old kid will probably figure out how to send him something to kill his home computer!

Lets face it,piracy is here for the long run.

Anytime they come up with some kind of "protection" someone comes up with a cure.

I'm sorry but I dont think it is right to "destroy" a computer that cost daddy $2000.00

just because little johnny (the 10 yr. old)decided to "download" his favorite tune because mommy wouldn't buy him the album last time they were at Walmart. rolleyes.gif

And what is to stop you from "recording" a song right off the radio after they "brainwashed" you by playing it 200 times a day and trying to convince you that people are actually "calling in" and requesting this new song when it really sucks anyway?

quote:

Endorsing such fallacy is one thing - enforcing it is indeed quite another. This insult to my intelligence and the whole paintbrush routine that we have all become accustomed to sort of sickens me as of late.

+1 Jack.

There's not much they can do. They can't destroy your computer, though they can attempt to make "their" software not run any more. i.e. Micro$oft and XP. They're trying scare tactics and that's not going to work either.

It was awfully nice of them to post a link to where we could send him a message... eek.gif

'Rekd

[ 06-17-2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

BTW, Charles.. I think you're referring to Pirates, not hackers. Hackers are the people that break computer code and gain illegal access to internet and networks. Pirates are the people that download illegal or "hacked" software.

'Rekd teh politically correct

One more point why I am a Linux fan.

Who likes OS that makes some backdoor actions makes tracking of your activities and send it somewhere ,with undocumented plugs ,doing a lot of unneeded actions ,overloaded with dangerous defaults is welcome to use Microsoft Windows OS flames !

And this doesn`t mean that I do unlegal things.

But just imaging some dumb senator taking the legal action in US congress that MIcrosoft must activate some undocumented plug in their OS`es

to protect something and here we go!

This is very unprobable but... !

It is like their windows updates that after the next patch that OS puts by default by itself you can get unstable malfunctioning system.

This is a system that I know good and doomed to use at work but at home linux rules !

That `s true that you must learn a lot to use it but afterwards you can not return to Micro$oft!

In every my computer that I had or have there was or is some Linux flame.

I like Mandrake and recently tried ALT Master LInux 2.2 from Russian developers ALT Linux web page and was surprised to find that it is even better than Mandrake.

But there are SUSE, Debian, RED HAt that also good!

Alt Master linux is easy to configure and full of a software that you`ll need .I can say that for 99% of tasks after the standart install you`ll have all the needed software ,4 Xwindows managers and stable system .

Long live Torvald and the LInux developers and cheers to the Unix that is the best OS ever been developed ! cheers.gif

quote:

This guy is a total moron.

First of all if he keeps opening his mouth like this,some 15 year old kid will probably figure out how to send him something to kill his home computer!

+1

And it is such an easy task because the Windows security sucks , Windows is one big hole .

This is not a place to discuss it but believe me

the average user is unaware of this task easiness !

Iskander teh I love my little birdie !

This guy just can't be serious...is this where all our tax money goes...to pay this morons salary? Does he really feel like hes accomplished something by coming up with this brilliant masterplan of his?

You're right Bucket he should prolly shut up before some 15 year old script kiddie busts into his computer and sends it into terminal meltdown or exposes all those nasty sites he's been visiting from his computer at the office mad.gif

The guy obviously doesn't know the first thing about a computer or the "problem" he's so "diligently(?)" trying to "fix".

quote:

a "few hundred thousand" users get their equipment destroyed they'll understand the seriousness of their actions. Is this guy for real in 2003 ? How many millions have net access ?

exactly. Last time you logged onto Kazaa, (yes you can all deny it, but I know you all have at some point or another) how many users did it say was connected??....and thats just Kazaa! After maybe 100 computers are destroyed the "crack" to keep your computer from being destroyed from this nasty little virus will be well on it's way to wide circulation, if not already be in wide circulation 2 months before it's even released!

I'm not endorsing piracy or copyright infringment, but it's not going away. That should be blatently obvious to anyone with half a brain. Looks like you're just gonna have to find a way to use it to your advantage...

I really could go on and on about this one, but I think I should shut up now :X

It is like their pathetic "WAR ON DRUGS"

How much money do they spend of OUR hard earned dollars on this,and it has not gotten them nowhere,especially when all it takes is another crooked border patrol person who makes a measly 50 grand at his job and for a nice size chunk of change,closes his/her eyes to let a shipment come in. (Don't think it doesn't happen)

I personaly do not drink or do drugs,but IMO,I think they should just legalize drugs,and make the street value of worth nothing!

So if a trashbag full of cocaine is worth only $5.00 at your local pharmacy,do you think anybody will try to kill you for it as you are leaving Wallgreens?

And believe me,if you could legally buy a trashbag full for $5.00,I don't believe fer 1 minute that the line will be out the door.

Eventually,no one will want it because it will be too cheap and easy to get.

You will have taken the novelty right out of it.

quote:

I hope they plan to pop up a "Do you live in the USA?" dialog box before they try to wipe out my computer.

I agree with you on that one Dave, Unfortunatly, I am not in a position to assist in a regime change there to help free those poor and opressed americans from their dictitorial ruling class.

Oh well, perhaps change can come from within.

The ISPs talked about a similar thing back in Napster's hayday. ISPs were going to identify music traders and nuke those computers. They didn't do it then, and they won't do it now. Record labels should spend more time on developing new business models and less on defeatable copy protection. Ripped the new Radiohead CD (for my personal use and NOT sharing) in under twenty minutes after my CD-ROM drive at work refused to read the CD wink.gif

I do expect that they would properly serve me with a search warrant, prior to confirming that this illeagal file actually existed. And then of course determining that destroying my computer was in fact fair "punishment" for the alleged crime. Of course there is no due process here at all. So the entire thing is a hundred times more unconstitutional than the proposed "censorship" that would have kept the hip hop garbage from being out there for my 15 yo daughter to polute my HD with in the first place.

Seems to me the cyber "Sights" are set on the wrong target but thats a whole 'nother story.

But I have a lawyer friend who loves constitutional law. I would love to file that suit. Violation of privacy, no due process or discovery. Punitive damages, loss of work ... hell maybe some pain and suffering (Im sure we could justify something.)

CAM teh Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Metalica.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

St. Anger..... More trash in a long line of trash. Gimmie master of puppets or kill em all. That was the real Metallica. Sorry for semi-hijacking this thread

+1000

I can't believe they are coming up with this trash. Oh, I long for the Old Days, Ride the Lightning, Kill 'Em All, Master of Puppets. If they can't grind out music like that anymore, they shoud find something else to do like go to work for Musack(sp?).

JM2C

Hatch-Ulrich 2004????

Remember Al and Tipper Gore vs. Frank Zappa and the industry? They've got it all bass ackwards. They worry about pirated music and lose hard drives at Los Alamos with nuclear secrets on them. They concentrate on explicit lyrics while NAMBLA maintains a web presence. Duhhhhh!

And is it only me or did they forget to engineer the sound on St. Anger. What a rough "finish" on that album!

[ 06-18-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: A-ron ]