Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How do I assign a view that I've rotated to

powerfulp

I have a part that I'm going to machine on a horizontal machining center and it will require work at multiple B-axis (rotary) positions (angles) i.e. B0, B27.64, B90, etc....

How do you save a view once it's rotated to what you want? I've rotated the model so the correct B-axis position is facing me (the spindle). I want to be able to assign this view a name (the B-axis position) and go back to the view whenever I want with a click of a button. It seems to me like this shouldn't be very hard, but I'm finding it impossible. I've messed with the view manager and I'm totally lost. I've been in the "Planes" area and can't get it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated....

Not its not the same as one of the default views. This is as far as I've gotten, and I don't know if it's even going down the correct path... I rotated my part (from the top) to the correct angle. Then, using the views, I got the part so it would be like I was looking at it from the spindle. I want to call this view B27.640. I went to "Planes" and selected "Planes by geometry". Selected the geometry, selected the view then named the new view B27.640. All seemed like it was going well. Then I went to the View Manager and wanted to rotate back to B0 (which was a default view). I select it and click "Ok" .... and nothing happens. So what might I be doing wrong? I thought I had it...

Do you mean you actually.rotated the part as in xform-rotate? If so, then that is your problem. leave the part as it is before rotating, then do the same procedure you just described on your last post. That will create your new view.

After youve done this, on your toolpath parameters, go to planes and select top for your wcs, uncheck "display relative to wcs" and you should be able to select your new view for tool plane and comp/constrction plane.

Hth

I have my reasons for wanting to have easy access to the part orientated graphically in different ways (to easily verify dimensions, to have a reference, to look at the part from the perspective of the spindle, etc)...so are you telling me what I'm looking for can't be done in mastercam? You seriously cannot save more than the 7 different views? I find that hard to believe. Either I'm not explaining what I want good enough (probably the case) or ... wow.

You have to create a new WCS, there are several options. If you use geometry then the first line you click is the X axis, then in the WCS manager you create the relative views from the new WCS. The new top, front, right, etc., will be in relation to the placement of the part. If you need more help send me a model or a sketch of what you need and I can help you and upload a file for you to look at. This method is used for machining parts in Aircraft Space where the part does not move but you create a WCS on the part and orient Mastercam to the part.

I don't think he wants a new WCS, because he doesn't want to reset his part 0 every time he rotates the B (if my understanding is right). Here's what I do on our 5 axis machines:

Do NOT rotate the part at all, the part should be aligned to the original (B0, A0, C0, etc) alignment in WCS TOP.

Now, rotate your view to match up how the part with Gview > Rotate Gview. Name and save that view with Gview > Name and Save Current Gview.

NOW choose Planes > Planes = Gview and the plane that you're working on will match your view.

When you make your toolpath, under planes, make sure it's set to WCS: Top, CPlane: B27, T:plane: B27. This will tell the Mastercam that everything is measured from the Top View zeros (X0,Y0,Z0,A(?)0,B0), and then rotated to where it needs to be.

That should be all you have to do, when you post out that operation, it should give the B position in the initial move line. (i.e.: Xxx.xx Yxx.xxx B27.xxx)

Other ways to do this:

Use the Planes > Planes By Geometry or Dynamic Planes commands to set the plane you're working on, and you can always check if it's aligned right by using Gview > Gview = Planes or Gview > Named Views and pick it from the list.

These should get you started. On the FTP in the tools folder:

Using_Views_Planes_and WCS.pdf

Using WCS and the View Manager.pdf

Video here:

http://www.eapprentice.net/samplevideos/vid42/vid42.html

MCM

Big thanks for the links and the vid.

This is the 1x subject that does take a bit to get your (my) head around in mcam.

Cheers