Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam USB HASP issue

Greg Williams

Hi All.

I have the oddest problem. I just received a new HP Z400 workstation with all of the bells and whistles. Win7 x64 12GB ram and XEON proscessors. When I go into the office in the morning and fire up my new toy all seems OK. When I start Mastercam X5 Mu1 basically Nothing happens. The task manager shows Mastercam running. but it never starts. I can fire up 10 sessions and 10 are shown running in the task manager, but Mastercam never actually fires up. If I go to the hardware manger it says that it sees the USB HASP and that it is working OK.

If I go to the Mastercam HASPX in the start menu it gives me all of the info for the USB hasp, so it can see it, and it thinks that all is working OK. But still the program never actually starts.

If I kill all of the sessions in the task manger then remove the HASP and start mastercam The same thing happens, Mastercam running in the task manger but no errors and I do not get the HASP not found error.

I have reinstalled the Aladin USB drivers and still this problem persists. The only fix is to reboot the machine a few times and then change the USB plugs to different ports. I have only the standard stuff, 3D connexion, Office 2007 Firefox and Solidworks. Has anybody seen something like this?

Hi All.

I have the oddest problem. I just received a new HP Z400 workstation with all of the bells and whistles. Win7 x64 12GB ram and XEON proscessors. When I go into the office in the morning and fire up my new toy all seems OK. When I start Mastercam X5 Mu1 basically Nothing happens. The task manager shows Mastercam running. but it never starts. I can fire up 10 sessions and 10 are shown running in the task manager, but Mastercam never actually fires up. If I go to the hardware manger it says that it sees the USB HASP and that it is working OK.

If I go to the Mastercam HASPX in the start menu it gives me all of the info for the USB hasp, so it can see it, and it thinks that all is working OK. But still the program never actually starts.

If I kill all of the sessions in the task manger then remove the HASP and start mastercam The same thing happens, Mastercam running in the task manger but no errors and I do not get the HASP not found error.

I have reinstalled the Aladin USB drivers and still this problem persists. The only fix is to reboot the machine a few times and then change the USB plugs to different ports. I have only the standard stuff, 3D connexion, Office 2007 Firefox and Solidworks. Has anybody seen something like this?

Maybe look at your 3D Connexion drivers, or try removing it and the drivers completely. Sometimes you can get some bizzare interactions between certain things and USB. Strip back as much as possible and then add till you get the problem back.

I just found out last week that I cannot have my cell phone plugged in to the usb port prior to plugging the hasp in. ;) There seemed to be some kind of driver conflict.

I had to unplug everything from the usb ports, plug in the hasp, and then plug everything else back in, and it started to work fine.

I have tried .NET framework upgrades, New drivers, old drivers and windows drivers but I am still no closer to a solution yet. The next plan of attack is my IT buffoon. For some reason, only known to him, he has set the Local My documents folder for each PC to be on the server. I guess he is thinking that the files will be backed up this way. When I go to my Documents locally it is actually going to \\Server\share\Greg\etc etc. As Mastercam saves all of the configs etc to the local My documents\My MCAMx5 folder I am thinking that this may be the problem. I will keep ya posted.

I have tried .NET framework upgrades, New drivers, old drivers and windows drivers but I am still no closer to a solution yet. The next plan of attack is my IT buffoon. For some reason, only known to him, he has set the Local My documents folder for each PC to be on the server. I guess he is thinking that the files will be backed up this way. When I go to my Documents locally it is actually going to \\Server\share\Greg\etc etc. As Mastercam saves all of the configs etc to the local My documents\My MCAMx5 folder I am thinking that this may be the problem. I will keep ya posted.

Our IT has our MyDocs set up that way as well. Mcam runs fine, except for one issue. If I start a file while connected to our network, then close, go offline and work on the same file it gives me a warning that the Machine group is being replaced. It is being replaced with the locally stored version so it is identical and doesn't have any other issues. I also have mine set to automatically backup at log off. I got burned a few times working on a file at the office and then go to the customer and I forgot to manually back up MyDocs and the file was not in the offline backup. Since changing to automatic backups that hasn't happened again.

Here`s another dumb question - do you have any anti-virus programs running?

This exact thing would happy to me where our anti-virus software would quarantine Mastercam (and other programs) after it ran ... although if that happens, I could work less, which is probably better for my health so I don't see it as a 'bug' with the anti-virus software :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

Since this post is 7 months old, I am hoping/assuming that Greg got it figured out, but for anyone searching in the future, I thought I would share what we found at my company. My current role is to support, troubleshoot and train our 70+ Mastercam users. I have seen this issue more than once and what we found to be the cause in several instances was due to a corrupt windows User profile. We are not 100% sure, but we believe when a user has multiple instances of Mastercam open when a crash occurs that it does something to their Windows User profile. If you delete your user profile, it fixed the issue. The user will have to re-arrange his desktop icons, but that has really been the only drawback thus far of doing so. After we delete the user profile Mastercam will actually launch. Hope this helps.

The only other thing I'd suggest to user before trying the new profile is this.

Delete the files in the temp folder and try it one last time

C:\Users\-user name-\AppData\Local\Temp\Mastercam X6

If you don't know how to turn on hidden folders, check with someone who does, because if you don't find the path, it's hidden, it is there but it is hidden by default windows settings