Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining HI Temp Machining Ceramic

mike561h

I'm machining some glass filled ceramic right now. PITA!

This stuff keeps chipping on all the sharp edges.

For cutting Ceramic, I'd go with a diamond coated or CBN tool.

+1 on that.

This stuff is supper abrasive. I'm using standard carbide 4flt endmills right now becuase that's all I have access to at this moment and it's a short run.

One to rough and another to finish.

SFM of 20-35.

Good luck with yours and if you have positive reluts post back, I could use the insight for future reference.

Hi Friends,

Has anyone had any experience machining machinable hi temp ceramics.

We are using QCT 1/2 inch roughing cutters SE toughy mill. Kinda looks like qa deburiing cutter

Any one got any tips that may help?????? Different cutters. coolant etc...

Thanks,

Mike

Here is some old literature that I dug up, not sure if it is clear enough. Send me an email and I will email you the pdf, too large to attach.

We only use High Speed Steel on our Macor, all manual machines for this stuff since it is prone to cracking and chipping.

Good luck.

• 9 months later...

I tried using ceramic inserts in a face mill cutting inconel a few years back and it was not very successful. Used the recommended feeds and speeds and here is the results:

Here is the video http://home.cogeco.c...el/DSCF0993.AVI

Glenn , you say it wasn't very successful, isn't this what machining with ceramics is supposed to look like - all hot and glowy !!

"we looked into machining some similar stuff a while back and got costings for a 3mm OSG CBN endmill to do the job - $900 each !!! that poo pooed the job straight away"

Used correctly, CBN tipped tools pay for them selves. We've got a 2mm ball x 12 mm min length tool that we use only for finishing hardened tool steels, typically 60 -64 rc. That same tool, yes, the original tool, is over 6 years old.

The cost savings from not burning, grinding or finishing with high end carbide has been amazing. It was either OSG, Nachi or Polkum at $400 a pop. The key here is a knowledgeable sales rep who can get you in the zone right away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'd rather thread mill a 0-80 than worry about scrapping a part, or digging out a broken tap, but that's just my opinion. To Thread Mill that small you need to have a good spindle and tool holder setup. Minimal run-out on your tool, good coolant flushing to carry away the chips, and the correct machining parameters are all critical when using small tools.

I think someone recently posted some new tools made by Emudge that go down to 0-80 for Thread Mills, but other manufacturers also make them.