Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

saving files to a network drive

michael4841

I am not a mcam user, but am working with a programmer who does. My questions/confusion is understanding what he is saying...

We (company) have to maintain control of machining files...so we have a two folders set up on our controlled network drive (configured and developmental), Is there any reason why we can't save files to our drive vice saving them on the local c: drive? He is explaining that mcam doesn't work well when files are on a network drive. They have to be on the c drive. I am not understanding this...my knowledge is I see no reason why you can't post a "development" program on a controlled network drive...because it is an "output" through mcam, which is NC code. So if you had to edit the program, the main post or cam files are within the software files, right? So you wouldn't be asking mcam to go out and find the NC file?

Appreciate any assistance.

To my knowledge there is no problem reading/writing files to a network drive.

We have all of our .mcx files on a network drive, and all of our nc files on the network drive. I think Mastercam CAN run into problems when important files for mastercam functions are accessed by a network, and for this reason all of our POSTS and config files etc are stored locally. Our machine defs and control defs are all network located though.

Perhaps your programmer has run into problems before with networks. I have encountered problems at my previous workplace where you could not POST any files across a network else it could randomly remove lines and include errors in the coding. This was using unigraphics, and UG said it was not a POST issue, it was an issue with network interference, and the IT guys said the network was fine, it was a software problem. All i know is there was an issue and posting it locally and then transferring it seemed to work.

All Im saying is there could be more to the story than first appearance

I have run into problems working from a network drive. Its usually some sporadic error that wouldnt allow me to save to the remote disk. But the problem compounds itself when you are attempting to open *another* file .... MasterCam would prompt me to save the current file, the save would fail, and then the other file that would be opened immediately afterwards would be the *previous* file that supposedly couldnt save, effectively overwriting one file with another. Thank god for backup files!

• Like 1

I maintain a local copy of the network NC folder and CAD/CAM folder using Beyond Compare to keep them synchronized. I load and save Mastercam and model files to and from the local copy, which helps significantly with speed and reliability, and post NC directly to the network (never had issues with that). This also gives me the advantage of a backup copy that I can compare to if I or anyone else make manual edits, or if a file does get messed up for any reason.

We keep all out mcx-6 files, posts, tool libraries, machine and control defs and nc files on a network.

We path our temp files and the Mastercam backup utility to our C drives.

Our individual config, toolbar and mouse config files are in the User folders in our local computer.

This works well and we have no trouble with it.

It requires a fast stable network to run like this. If your network is glitchy or slow it's going to cause problems

I work from the server as well and have had no issues. but like stated I run switches and not hubs and I run a gigabit this helps with larger files.

A guilty network maters so you do not drop packets.But I have a many of tech calls were people have had corrupted files saving across a network. more years ago not as much these days as networks have gotten better.

We keep all out mcx-6 files, posts, tool libraries, machine and control defs and nc files on a network.

Our individual config, toolbar and mouse config files are in the User folders in our local computer.

It requires a fast stable network to run like this. If your network is glitchy or slow it's going to cause problems

Same as gcode here.

Same as G-code here. We've been running off server drives since V9.

I have run into problems working from a network drive. Its usually some sporadic error that wouldnt allow me to save to the remote disk. But the problem compounds itself when you are attempting to open *another* file .... MasterCam would prompt me to save the current file, the save would fail, and then the other file that would be opened immediately afterwards would be the *previous* file that supposedly couldnt save, effectively overwriting one file with another. Thank god for backup files!

I have this exact problem. I've seen it at two separate companies.

-Josh

I've had this problem as well.

It usually occurs when using very large files.

My solution is to save the file I want to close, then hit File/New, then open the the next file.

I started doing this back in V9 days when opening a very large file when another large file was

open could result in the loss of both files.

It's a habit now and works well.