Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT: Need workholding recommendations

Thad

All of the die shoes that we get in are rough burned/scaled up surfaces. We need to mill the thickness in holding size and keeping it as flat and parallel as possible. Currently this involves clamping the part down, milling around the clamps, flipping the part, repeat steps 1 and 2 (for flatness), moving the clamps and blending the previously clamped areas to the finish milled surface. Some of these plates are 15 ft long and 6 ft wide. This becomes a very time consuming PITA. Since we can't convince management to get the plates Blanchard ground, we've decided to look into hold down-type tooling that would allow us to machine the entire top of the part without having to cut around clamps and then later blend those areas in. I've seen various clamps that mount to the table that have a "jaw" that pushes down and away, to hold the part tight to the table. Has anyone ever used these, or similar clamps, and had good luck with them? Are they very strong? Can you take "normal" cuts when using them? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thad

I have used these often and love them. If you put them around the perimeter of say a 1" thick plate you can machine the whole top surface with no problem. When you tighten them up the face of the clamp moves at a 45 degree angle putting pressure on the part inward and down at the same time. Give them a try. cheers.gif

Joe

Hey Thad,

sounds like you got some big parts. we do this all the time. We have setup blocks with keys in them for the table. around the side of the blocks are 1/2-13 tapes holes. bolt down the blocks to support your part and bolt on fence blocks and pusher blocks to the setup blocks. use set screws to hold the part against the fence blocks and start cutting. no tie downs. the part cant move cause you got it blocked in all 4 ways. this works well for heavy plates. we got a 60" x 120" mazak that we do this all the time for plate work

Mitee-Bite has a nice selection of clamps for what you are trying to do... I've had pretty good luck with their Series-9 clamps and their Pit-Bull clamps. Their web site actually has cad models of some of their clamps you can down-load and incorporate into your model. They give specs on clamping force so you can figure how many clamps / how agressive you can get with your cuts. cool.gif

quote:

I would be careful with them if the sides of the plates are torched.

Murlin,

The sides are torched, but it's a pretty smooth finish. Just a tad worse than a nice clean saw cut. The straightness of those torched edges can vary.

Thad

Well you might get those clamps to work.

You might try putting some emmory between the clamp and the plate for added protection against movement.

I use emmory under my dies when I clamp them down to prevent them from moving around since I only use 2 clamps on the handling holes.

Can you take a take a mag drill and drill some handling holes on the sides?

Murlin

I don't know how thick die shoes are, but I do know that clamping a part 6 feet x 14 feet, by the perimeter, it is dam near imposible to get it flat. I have done a lot of machining on big stuff. My suggestion is to hold side 1 with bondo. Use Car-wax on the machine's table to prevent the bondo from sticking too much.

Bondo is cheap and it will suport and hold the plate in it's most natural state without stressing the plate with clamps. Once set, you can add a couple clamps to insure the part won't move. Bondo will machine easily off side 2 and prevents chatter.

Side 2 can be clamped down. Life is so much easier when you know you have one flat side

quote:

it is dam near imposible to get it flat.

3 solid points and a screw jack is the way to go, big heavy plates tend to sag on there own weight anyway. set on 3 points and make up the diference on the 4th point with a jack to take out any rocking you get from the twist in the plate, rough the first side. release it in case it warped, reclamp and take a finish cut

[ 08-22-2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: May^Day ]

quote:

come up with anything yet?

One of my colleagues is checking into the ideas you guys have provided. I'd be interested in seeing any pics that you have.

The (clamp) type I mentioned in my original post seems to be the logical choice, although we're looking at all of our options.

Thad

Ohhh, those magnets. Not a bad idea. Maybe if I show them what these magnets cost, having them blanchard ground won't sound like such a bad idea. biggrin.gif Seriously, it's worth looking into. Thanks.

This is impressive.

Edited to say that the link didn't work like I wanted it to. The pic of the round stock on the magnet is impressive.

Thad

[ 08-22-2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Thad ]