Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

In process drawings.

kunfuzed

Does anyone need to create "in process drawings" that dimension different part states as they go between ops, such as mill to lathe, and rough for heat treat and such? If so, what software and process do you use? We use solidworks, but sometimes suppressing features blows out others, and showing positive stock amounts for rough parts can be time consuming. We are looking into SpaceClaim to aid us in this task.

Thanks!

I'm not a Solidworks guru.

What I see most often used is part configurations in the Solidworks files.

"We use solidworks, but sometimes suppressing features blows out others, and showing positive stock amounts for rough parts can be time consuming"

I'm assuming that you are talking part configurations here...I dont think it should be that difficult...IMHO the 6k would be better spent on some Solidworks training.

Problem is we aren't always the ones that draw the part, and depending on the history when you suppress a feature, sometimes there are a lot of other dependant features that get affected. In a perfect world, our dept would model the parts essentially the way we machine them, making configs very easy. But now, the only realistic alternative, is drawing from scratch the latter way, which is redundant and a waste of time.

But thanks for the responses! :)

How about saving the cut stock as an STL and making a print out of that in Solidworks ?

I just tried doing this for a part Im working on now and Solidwork couldn't chew on the file. "File has to many surfaces". It is a rather large file, anout 312MB. So, that's were you'll run into problems with that.

Plus I don't think it lets you dimension STL files.

I don't have experience with SpaceClaim but I've seen some of their product videos. Seems like this would be a good for this purpose.

Pro/NC here - Very good for this as you can represent the cut after each toolpath and detail the stock model in the drawing module, with full associativity with the 3D model. The pro is that it's the cut stock is a true B-Rep model and not tessellated geometry like NX IPW or STL. (Spaceclaim can convert STLs to B-Rep models though - Specially prismatic models)

When in the drawing mode, you can select which state (Toolpath) you want to represent the cut stock (Workpiece) in a given view. For example, if you have 50 toolpaths but want to show the part in this specific view as it is after the toolpath #23, you can. Very nice! You can shade it, show hidden lines, use dimmed edges, create details, section it... the list is long...

As costly as NX I guess, and for sure not worth as the CAM side of Pro/NC is very cumbersome and limited when compared to MC. (Powerful though :D)

Spaceclaim is probably your best friend in terms of cost, functionality and flexibility. Parametric modelers are a PITA to do this kind of work.

JM2CFWIW

Sounds like training would be a good start and stay with the Solidworks. The other thing I'm picking up is not just the prints but drafting habits. The what and how you use your sketches/features is as your seeing going to greatly affect your outcome. Next in line is to make standards for the drafting practices so if someone does pull in another "config" they know what to expect.

Of course it's easy for me to say that not knowing what products you are making but experience has shown me that no two people draft alike =), doesn't mean that there can't be some conformity.

If similar practices can be implemented using the configs you will hopefully have a smoother system for using MC especially when importing and being able to select the config file right there on file opening for what you need.

Ask your software VAR for some guidance and review of your process and see what suggestions they may have.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned, 'cus I'm an autocad guy...

I use 'solid layout' on the finished part, 'save some' to get my dxf out, import it into autocad and mod accordingly.

Glenn's option looks good - I haven't played with stock model yet because it isn't in X5 :rolleyes:

I'm not against using screen shots either - run verify to a point and screen grab, and paste that into autocad adding some notes.

A drawing is only a means of communication, and clarity is king - so a picture (screen grab or photo) is worth a lot as it can sometimes be clearer.