Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need shell mill recommendation

Bob W.

I am facing some stainless parts (420SS, annealed) and I need a recommendation for a shell mill and inserts. I am only removing ~.020" of material at 60% width and the inserts I am currently using are only lasting a few parts before needing to be rotated. My current shell mill is 2.5" diameter and has 5 inserts and I am running at 350SFM and .015 IPT. Due to travel limitations I can't go bigger than the 2.5" diameter of the current shell mill. I am getting killed on this job and I need a cutter that will allow me to feed faster. I am new to machining stainless so any input would be a big help. I will be making several hundred (possibly thousands) of these parts so it will be worth investing in the right tools.

Thanks,

Bob

It's been quite a few years, but at my previous place of employment we have used 400 grade stainless exclusively for about 90% of work (RoyAlloy 400 grade to be exact). We had most luck with Mitsubishi and Sandvik. Call your local reps and get them both for testing. Maybe Mitsubishi still has the free body replacement policy...Sorry, but I don't remember styles or grades.

I tried a bunch and the ones that beat everyone by a HUGE margin was

For roughing:

Ingersoll EVO-TEC SN2J-04R01

Finishing:

Ingersoll SMAX SF6H-04R01

Ran these in Ti with an interrupted cut. All other failed at 25-50 parts. The rougher was lasting upwards of 350parts.....

Finisher can take like 0.030"FPT and leave a 8-12 surface finish all day long....

I would call your Ingersoll rep and see what he can get you for testing.

-Josh

• Like 1

We use Tungalloy square facemills with very good results. I can't think of the model we use right off hand but will try to remember to look tomorrow when I go in. I have used all different brands and styles from 45 degree, round inserted, etc and these are pretty nice. We use 2" ones in our machines and we run at around 1640 RPM and 25 IPM at .060" cut depth in Stainless. We rarely face much more than that off of a stainless part. I am sure they will take a lot bigger cut depth on a rigid machine.

In aluminum these will run at 8000 RPM feeding at 250 IPM taking a .150" depth of cut and full cutter width on a Haas 20HP machine. The spindle load will hit 100% but it sounds pretty nice ;)

Ingersoll had a high feed shell mill that is killing it. Saved 3.5 minutes per part (cut machining time in half) and the inserts are lasting 10X longer. Thanks for the help, it has paid off big time, even after paying for the tool :-)

Can you share the tool info along with feeds/speeds/depth of cut please?

The tool is a 2" high feed face mill by Ingersoll, p/n TG1F-20R01. It has 7 inserts. I am taking .020 Depth at 120 IPM and 1500 rpm in annealed stainless. I started at 168 ipm but it was just a little too much force on the part given the fixturing, and the operator couldn't keep up with loading anyways.