Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas vs Makino part 2

Bob W.

What I love most about the Haas, is the control and how easy it is to navigate. I may just be used to running them. But this is how easy it is to create a probe routine to touch off a 2" facemill.

On the Mazak we have this would take a bit longer. How easy is it on the Makino to probe and touch off tools?

What I love most about the Haas, is the control and how easy it is to navigate. I may just be used to running them. But this is how easy it is to create a probe routine to touch off a 2" facemill.

On the Mazak we have this would take a bit longer. How easy is it on the Makino to probe and touch off tools?

Seriously??? Here is how I do it on both of my Makinos. I put the tool in the magazine, set the length to 15.0", a macro I wrote detects this and sets the tool automatically when it is called for use in the program. When we load tools we set them ALL to 15.0" and the machine detects this value and sets them automatically the first time they are used, using the correct offset for shell mills, large end mills, etc... When tools are removed they are cleared and the length set to 10.0". If the machine detects a tool set to either 10.0" or 0.0" it will alarm because it knows there is no tool in the magazine and the operator has screwed up.

I could do this on the Haas but I know you are well aware of the reliability issues when it comes to macros, etc so now way do I have the balls to try. Not enough reliability there...

Nice thing is we can load tools while another program is running (full access to tool magazine) and we DO NOT have to touch them off. Just set the lengths to 15" and hit cycle start for the next production or prototype run. Machine decides which tools need to be probed or not...

The owner at the last shop I worked at was very fluent with macro programming. He wrote some really crazy stuff that ran probe routines and tool breakage checks with redundant tooling on the horizontal Haas machines they had. So I am not sure what you mean about the reliability? But he used them all the time. I have a vague understanding of macros. I can look at them and kind of see what they are doing. But I can't program them.

This is what I was referring to:

http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=72891

I have had very similar experiences with my Haas. Enough that I WILL NOT do M98 calls or extensive use of macros. I have had M98 calls initiate the incorrect program... It is a bummer because I typically use M98 or M198 calls on the Makinos probably 50% of the time for stringing together multiple programs.