Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

timg

Timg, welcome to the forum. I too have been working for a while as a machinist without mastercam. frown.gif

Anyway I used MC from V3.0 thru 8.1 and the minute the opportunity arises I will be in a MC chair again. You can learn very much from this forum also as I have. You gotta at least get the demo to get the feel for it.

[ 08-30-2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: JAMMAN ]

Well timg I would look at it try talking your employer into getting it. The program pays for it self. I have a Job I spent over 80 hours on making the program for that would have only taken about 6 hours in Mastercam.

quote:

I had to make a X break roll die about 4 years ago on a Mazak VTC with full 4th axis with no Cam program I sat down in Autocad and Flattend out all of the Geomentry then I created .001 angle division everywhere my tool met the profile of the Contour I then spent another 40 hours writing all the G code to make the Male and Female Roll dies work together. The only break I got in the whole job was that the Parts were symetrical around the diameter 4 times. When I got one right then I made sub calls to repeat it on every quardant. If you got Autocad I will send you the files and check it out. Real Crazy Pain in the A??SH?T but I got it done and it worked perfect.

Now that cost me over $5,550 in dollars difference doing the long way verse using Mastercam. I tried and tired to get that owner to get Mastercam. My Dealler Jim Gamble who is a hell of a guy came after I have spent over 120 hours on another part (which is $9000) trying to get it made when I realized that i had not taken the correct compound curve into account and would have to rewrite a majority of the program and called him. He sat down with me and in less then 30 minutes had it moldeled and had created toolpaths for it. I figured it would have taken me anout 50 hours ($3750) in time before I might have got the code the way I wanted it. I got it finacned and everything and we bought it or so I and he thought. He had got his P.O. from the finaicng company and everything and sent me Mastercam. Well my 30 day code come up and I called him and he said I got bad news your owner cancalled the order and you need to return it to me. I knowing what a time saving tool it was was very disappointed. He had thousands of dollars a week to suppport the company race car and made me hire its driver, but could not afford the $356.00 a month for the program. You can imangine I was not there very much longer. I will also say for all of those love this topic I was using Mazak's.

Crazy Millman

quote:

I think that they sell an educational version for short money.

I believe it is fully functional,but your posted code would not be very reliable.(intentionally)

The educational version (formally known as the MasterCAM Apprentice Program) is not disabled in any way. It functions exactly as the version your school has purchased does, with exactly the same options enabled.

Rick, I might be interested in the educational version. The demo and design seat I run at home works just fine but I don't 'own' the design seat. Full functionality sounds awesome. Wonder how much it costs? Think I'll give my dealer a buzz. Nice tip!!! cheers.gifcheers.gif

Timg, Mastercam is a blast. Can't imagine life without it. Been machining 7+ years. Have had MC for 14 months now. It's awesome. Pull your boss's arm and tell him you can't go wrong. Get training as cadcam mentioned, buy tutorials, test your skills using the sample files, and just do it. Obviously the more you run it the more you'll get the hang of it. Your machining background will help you make the transition.

Welcome to the forum and good luck! MC rules biggrin.gif

quote:

The educational version (formally known as the MasterCAM Apprentice Program) is not disabled in any way. It functions exactly as the version your school has purchased does, with exactly the same options enabled.

Rick,

I am a little confused here.

You say that it is not disabled in any way.

So are you saying that you can use this to post'good' G code to the machine?

What would keep someone from purchasing the real seat,if this educational version works? rolleyes.gif

Trevor this would be after the 9 months that you are to have the Seat and if you are still in school after the 9 months you can extend to 12 months at the most.

This will be more money of course..

Now do you want solids with the design seat this will be a $150. at the end to.

quote:

I am a little confused here.

You say that it is not disabled in any way.

So are you saying that you can use this to post'good' G code to the machine?

What would keep someone from purchasing the real seat,if this educational version works?

Three things (it's always three, isn't it?)

- You must be a student taking a MasterCAM class to purchase the Apprentice software. Your instructor needs to send a letter to that effect to the educaitonal dealer before they can process the order.

- The seat only runs for one semester, with the option to extend, at no charge, if you take addiitonal semesters within the same year (up to nine months). You can add another year for a fee.

- At the end of the term, the seat turns off. You can then get a code for Design from the educaitonal dealer you purchased Apprentice from.

Thanks for the loads of information and direction. I have been machinist for the past 25 years, and during the past 17 years I owned my own shop and farmed. I've sold the farm and the closed the shop and now looking for work is very tough so I want to upgrade my skills to make myself more employable. I'll talk to the local schools etc and find an mc distributor and get started on a basic mc program.

Thanks again to all

timg cheers.gif