Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can anyone speed this thing up?

left coast lefty

I am having fits trying to speed up the regeneration of this file. I am going to have several more larger similar pieces, but this one takes over half an hour to regen. I am using an i7-860, 8 gb with an fx 580 card. Not the best obviously, but I have crunched much larger files in a fraction of the time it takes this one. What am I doing wrong?

TOO SLOW.MCX-6

As nice as the new-fangled toolpaths are, I tend to move toward more basic routines. I would use pocketing and ramp contour to make this part. This programs way faster.

Yes, but this is in titanium and the tools don't last taking a full cut. I just ran one and the endmill looks brand new still. I will have to go old school though if I can't speed things up. What is it about this particular program? I have had much larger files regen in a couple of minutes.

I'll happily spend a few minutes waiting for a regen to get a toolpath that will cut WAY faster and save $$$ on tooling. Machines rates are by the hr, much more expensive that pc time.

As you have it my pc froze for a few minutes. I changed your filter to 2:1 and 5% rounding rad it it went a little faster. About 3 min.

Tried it in X7 exactly as you have it, and not only does it multi-thread so you can keep working, but also generates in about 1 min. Something to look forward too, hang in there. :)

I'll happily spend a few minutes waiting for a regen to get a toolpath that will cut WAY faster and save $$$ on tooling. Machines rates are by the hr, much more expensive that pc time.

As you have it my pc froze for a few minutes. I changed your filter to 2:1 and 5% rounding rad it it went a little faster. About 3 min.

Tried it in X7 exactly as you have it, and not only does it multi-thread so you can keep working, but also generates in about 1 min. Something to look forward too, hang in there. :)

Multi-threading in 2D high speed?? I've been asking for that for 2 years!

Thanks for the help guys.

Tried it in X7 exactly as you have it, and not only does it multi-thread so you can keep working, but also generates in about 1 min. Something to look forward too, hang in there.

I'll second that,.. I have a very large optiarea toolpath that goes 1.5hr in McamX6, X7 beta runs it in 30min

No,.. the video card shouldn't have any bearing on the regen time,... that would be handled by the processor and the RAM chip

I have seen however when components are not matched up properly it can cause issues with processing,.... the part file that took 1.5hr on my computer took over 3.5hr on a customer's computer (that "some guy up the street" built for him)

OK, I'm going on almost 20 minutes now and it's still at 0%. Is the cheap video card slowing it down that much? I have Win 7 64 bit. Could it be an Nvidia setting? I just updated the driver and am using the default settings.

your video card has nothing to do with this.. it's just a function of raw proccessing power.. in X6 you have one proccessor crunching

I shut it down after a while ... In X7 my machine took 2 minutes and change... but I've got a ton of stuff open and working right now

I gave up after 58 minutes. Too bad the damn escape key doesn't work. When times crunch time like this take place, I often like to recheck my settings to see if I screwed something up. Taskman to the rescue.

I'm guessing here as well but perhaps joining some of those broken arcs, which would reduce the number of entities, may improve the crunch time some.

• Like 1

"I'm guessing here as well but perhaps joining some of those broken arcs, which would reduce the number of entities, may improve the crunch time some. "

What broken arcs? It all chains good here, no duplicates or overlaps.

What he is referring to is that there are a lot of (what look to be) 180 degree arcs. Really, the are two arc segments adding up to 180 degrees. If you go around and get rid of the small arc segments, and then trim the chains closed again, it is likely to generate the path somewhat faster.

[/size]

What he is referring to is that there are a lot of (what look to be) 180 degree arcs. Really, the are two arc segments adding up to 180 degrees. If you go around and get rid of the small arc segments, and then trim the chains closed again, it is likely to generate the path somewhat faster.

Thanks Leigh. I'll give it a shot.

I found some advice here that you can speed up the regen process by going into the task manager and ending the largest entry for "svchost.exe". This seems to work a bit but causes the screen to go nuts. Then I noticed that Mastercam was only using 13% of the resources. Is there a way to increase it?

I have the same problem here. I have a pretty decent computer dual quad core, dual quadro 4000's ect, but some of my complex parts take 45 min to 90 min. to re-gen with hst paths. Task manager also shows 12 -13%. I found that if I open another window of X6 and crunch another toolpath at the same time, it will use 25%. Seems odd that it only uses 12 to 13% per instance when I have 8 processer cores available.

I have the same problem here. I have a pretty decent computer dual quad core, dual quadro 4000's ect, but some of my complex parts take 45 min to 90 min. to re-gen with hst paths. Task manager also shows 12 -13%. I found that if I open another window of X6 and crunch another toolpath at the same time, it will use 25%. Seems odd that it only uses 12 to 13% per instance when I have 8 processer cores available.

The problem is that the toolpath you're using doesn't support any more than 1 processor at a time... The only fix is to wait for someone to change the software to use more than that.. Oh, wait, what was it that Chris said above? :)

Thats prob due to the fact that Mastercam seems to only use one core per toolpath.. only way to use more is to regen multiple toolpaths at once.. although if your like me most likely you are only working on one at a time so therefore only re-genning one at a time.

From the sound of it based on what some of the beta guys have been saying X7 will have true multi-processor support which should speed things up a lot for people with multiple processor systems.