Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Mastercam PC Build

Rotary Ninja

I of course have severs and the main runs Raid 1 then I also do a back up of this with a 4 TB NAS running the same way that backs up the important data on its own. then I have another drive to keep off site for important data.

My computers I run multi drives no raid. Desk top has a another NAS drive used to back it up and for my laptop.

I have in the past run Raid Scsi 5 for mastercam years ago. was pretty fast. Including pictures for fun.

Kevin , the case I have is similar but not the green like the board I have.including inside picture when I had the other video cards in it. very clean.Lots of room for sure.

Really I have not run into this in a long time running 32 gigs on both my programming boxs listed below.

At the moment I read your post:

MEM-USE_zpsa160b9f7.png

I'm doing die cast chill blocks, which are basically a mold block with a bunch of ribs. Some have a fair size to them, and I work them down with high feed cutters of various sizes before finishing. It seems to be an iterative build up of complexity for the stock model; it's only after two or three different sizes of high feed cutter that it starts to bog down. I'd run them at a looser tolerance but I'm only leaving about .003" for the finisher so I don't want to go too loose.

NAS, network attached storage. I moved away from a home server and have never looked back, It is a hassle to maintain another PC, just to store stuff, Build myself a NAS and now have everything backed up weekly, If your data is sensitive you can back it on a cloud service from your NAS.

I wanted to build one of these awhile back but opted for a simple network hard drive from Seagate to store my movies on. Can you share your NAS setup?

Matt, large mold block I can see that. I do not due that much mold programming anymore. you made think about the blow mold I did last year. it ate up my ram too.

I used to be a full time mold maker. I started as Wax investment then Plastic injection to roto mold blow mold Die cast.Now I do everything. lol

Kevin, yes you can share most home NAS systems.

I would wait. I thought you were trying to decide to which one to buy. One of us could benchmark with you maybe? I think Gcode has one.

I think they put an I7-3770K in my new box. With 32 meg of ram, dual Intel SSD's running raid1 and a Quadro 4000,it's plenty quick

He's a good website for comparing processors

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

i would remember the sacrifice of forking over double the money for the latest and greatest far longer than the memory of marginally better performance.

most software cant utilize the hardware fully yet anyways.

+1. I never build a PC with the highest performing hardware in the lineup. I spend my money on the Motherboard and I always try to get good RAM, but I only buy a little more than I need (which is cheap). I have a case that I can upgrade in for years, and a PSU that will power my house if need be. I build the rest so that I can upgrade to these higher end components when the prices come down. Doing that let's me have a PC that performs very well at current software releases and ensures that in the future I can upgrade to stay up with everything. Right now Jay, I don't think is the time for that upgrade for you.

At the moment I read your post:

MEM-USE_zpsa160b9f7.png

I'm doing die cast chill blocks, which are basically a mold block with a bunch of ribs. Some have a fair size to them, and I work them down with high feed cutters of various sizes before finishing. It seems to be an iterative build up of complexity for the stock model; it's only after two or three different sizes of high feed cutter that it starts to bog down. I'd run them at a looser tolerance but I'm only leaving about .003" for the finisher so I don't want to go too loose.

I gotta ask, are you using a ramdrive? If you are, you can add that size to your memory usage. Example if you have a 10GB ram drive and Mcam is using 5GB, your task manager will show 15GB being used. That is crazy to be using that much memory, lol. I'm the same as Ninja, I never see that kind of memory use.