Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Custom Mastercam PC Build

Rotary Ninja

I am doing my homework now to see how much of a gain I would really get going from the I7-3820 to the I7-3930K putting out another almost $600.00 am I really going to see a gain or such a small one adding to more Cores and 4 more threads and 5 mb more of cache.

Opps the 5 mb more is incorect it is only 2 mb more unless I went with the 3960X then it wou;ld be 5 mb.

I usually run dual ssd's in a raid 0 array, with a fast hdd for storage, but considering I just lost a hard drive and almost lost 3 months worth of work, I am reconsidering.

Another thing to consider, I travel a lot so I would like to be able to RDP into my box and use its resources while on the road and make this a more efficient process than it has been for me in the past. Any ideas/suggestions on how to achieve this?

Yeah I like Raid Zero, but I am old school and do thing manually I have no less than 5 backups of important files. Losing a Hard drive for me is just lost time getting everything back on the replacement. I need to get into the habit of cloning and using removable drives. A little bit of work, but the easiest and best way to swap out things and keep data from being lost. Not easily done a Notebook, but do have one with 3 different drives and it works well. A couple screws and I have everything changes over in less than 5 minutes. When I get better then I can get everything back to even then I might be able to think about this down the road.

I am starting to build a new desktop. Which one would you guys buy? http://www.newegg.co...9^13-131-799-TS

I like the Pro, the Deluxe, and the WS. I went to look at them yesterday but Fry's didn't even carry the WS board. But they had the Deluxe there so I am kind of leaning that way because I like to buy local if I can. Plus they beat Newegg's price by $30 on the Deluxe. I have used Asus's Deluxe line before and they always seem to have the best options.

For Jay and drafting3 and anyone else with the Sabertooth board check this out...

That case was at Fry's when I was there. Forgive my geekness, but that thing was AWESOME. I am so glad my step-son wasn't with me because he would want that case. It would look really good with the Sabertooth inside it along with Corsair's military green memory. Which is why they put in the cheesy window I assume.

• Like 1

Yeah I like Raid Zero, but I am old school and do thing manually I have no less than 5 backups of important files. Losing a Hard drive for me is just lost time getting everything back on the replacement. I need to get into the habit of cloning and using removable drives. A little bit of work, but the easiest and best way to swap out things and keep data from being lost. Not easily done a Notebook, but do have one with 3 different drives and it works well. A couple screws and I have everything changes over in less than 5 minutes. When I get better then I can get everything back to even then I might be able to think about this down the road.

RAID 10 Ron. It's the only way to go. You get the benefit of dual SSD's and paired with a couple Velociraptors you get the added security of constant backup of your data. There is also tons of software available to automatically achieve what you are referring to if you don't want to do a RAID array. Some of the Seagate network drives come with some nice backup software built in.

Question for you guys about a RAID setup. Right now my workstation is on a single 128GB SSD. Let's say I buy a second identical drive, and had somebody who knows what they're doing set it up in a RAID 1 for redundancy. If one of the drives takes a dump, what all is entailed in getting the computer up and running again?

Question for you guys about a RAID setup. Right now my workstation is on a single 128GB SSD. Let's say I buy a second identical drive, and had somebody who knows what they're doing set it up in a RAID 1 for redundancy. If one of the drives takes a dump, what all is entailed in getting the computer up and running again?

It is going to depend on the motherboard. I am not sure on the newer boards since mine is 4 years old. Some, like Gigabyte come with software or you do it in the Bios. I have only had one RAID setup and it never failed so I really can't answer for sure Joe.

I usually run dual ssd's in a raid 0 array, with a fast hdd for storage, but considering I just lost a hard drive and almost lost 3 months worth of work, I am reconsidering.

SSD's should not be used to hold data that is critical. It doesn't make much sense to RAID two drives that you may loose at any time. That is part of the reason that you don't see very large SSD drives, they are generally made to load an operating system and a software, It is still recomended to have a tradidtional disk drive to store and backup to. The SSD will give the OS the speed that you need and the disk drives give the reliability for storage.

As long as you keep a good power supply and have a battery backup, RAID 1 and even RAID 0 are real good.

I have run RAID arrays for decades...a couple years ago I had a bad power supply that screwed up my Mirror, but I just turned it back on and it rebuilt itself.

Since it was onboard RAID and not a controller card it took a few hrs to rebuild the 300 gig drives but a new power supply and it is still going.

Okay, I researched this some, but I still need a little more explanation on this (IT is not my forte). From what I read it's days are numbered as software goes.

And I think I am going to do a RAID 10 array.

NAS, network attached storage. I moved away from a home server and have never looked back, It is a hassle to maintain another PC, just to store stuff, Build myself a NAS and now have everything backed up weekly, If your data is sensitive you can back it on a cloud service from your NAS.

Years ago I ran RAID arrays, but after struggling with data loss, and painstakingly rebuilding data I reverted back to the "KISS" analogy. Single Drives, backed-up onto single Drives. With the speed and size of HDD now days RAID only shines when your files are HUGE.

Also I don't need a huge PC tower, as most of my HDD's are in the "server room" ie: basement/garage/laundry. Single SSD for OS, everything else on NAS. My data is available on any PC in the home without a hitch.

Okay, I researched this some, but I still need a little more explanation on this (IT is not my forte). From what I read it's days are numbered as software goes.

And I think I am going to do a RAID 10 array.

Ray makes excellent points, as i personally wouldn't even bother with raid. KISS

WHS days may be numbered as software goes. it's really to bad as it is a great setup IMHO.

it is a great product to load on an older PC you may have sitting around. it is headless so power cable and network connection are all that are required after setup.

the first generation of software which i run is 32 bit. it has this drive extender software which clones user specified folders across multiple drives for data redundancy if a drive ever fails. mine still gets updates.

1. automatic backups

2 super easy complete O/S reloads back to the date of your choosing

3 remote access, remote desktop. i have a folder on my work PC that is mapped to my WHS offsite

4. easy network admin for non IT people.

5. great software selection that no NAS can match