Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

surface model help

Müřlıń®

Hey guys. I have a large scanned die that has lots of surfaces. It was a step file that would not come in clean.

I deleted all smalls with .0001 volume, fixed all self intersect and bad surfs.

Boundary has no overlaps. And I even tried the toolpath with no boundary just in case.

But I have gotten the error in processing toolpath, contact reseller message 50 times...literary on this job.

I keep having to loosen up tolerances and machining less windows at the same time in order to get paths to crunch.

I am down to the 3/16" ball and up to no filter or smoothing and. 003" tolerance and it still wont crunch with both impressions windowed on a surface finish contour at the same time.

Is there some way to find what surface is causing problem because analyze reports no problems.

Usually when it errors out on a surface it can't "xtractt" it will give you the option of placing that surface on level.

Are you not getting that far?

Dunno, I watch and it never gets to the part where the grey calculations echo to the screen.

If I used. 005 it might crunch but it doesn't ask me to color the last surf proceeded it just bails with that contact reseller message.

I have tried ver3, ver4, and ver5 and they all fail. So it is some of the surfs that are bad. But I can't find out which ones it is.

I would rather not use such a loose tolerance if I could keep from it.

"Will that cure processing errors to turn it into a solid?"

Not necessarily but depending on the geometry, what can be done is you take all the faces and create closed volumes, turn those into a solid and create a new base to do a boolean extraction. If the bad faces were facing out, they will be absorbed in the new volumes and literally ignored during the boolean remove. If they were facing in, or too screwed up when the new volumes were made, you'll still have issues.

This has worked for me in the past with about a 50% success ratio. Pretty much just rebuilding / reverse engineering the model.

• Like 1

"Will that cure processing errors to turn it into a solid?"

Not necessarily but depending on the geometry, what can be done is you take all the faces and create closed volumes, turn those into a solid and create a new base to do a boolean extraction. If the bad faces were facing out, they will be absorbed in the new volumes and literally ignored during the boolean remove. If they were facing in, or too screwed up when the new volumes were made, you'll still have issues.

This has worked for me in the past with about a 50% success ratio. Pretty much just rebuilding / reverse engineering the model.

BLAM! Wow what a Great tip!

That is one of many I don't know im sure!

That is the best tip I have had in years, thanks. :)

Ant the rest of u guys are great for offering....I should have no problems with the great support group I have found over the years!

I opened this in X6 with the MoldPlus Catia transalor.. it came right into X6 has a solid

Saved that as a parasolid and uploaded it to the FTP

OK I will try that solid as well.

I took the iges file down to the shop and opened up and ran the same parameters in 9.1 SP2 and it performed flawlessly the first time.

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble.....

Ok folks I fired up my machine with X2 SP2 MU1 and the toolpath worked.

I also tried it on X3 and it worked.

I went back to my laptop and tried the same file on X3 MU1 and it fails, X4 fails, X5 fails, X5 MU1 fails..

So it has a problem between X3 and X3MU1.....and persists.

I am going to ask some of the guys to try it in X6 and see..

I have PowerShape / Solid Dr.

and it is 50/50 on fixing the same errors your getting.

Like whats going on here, I had to export through UG one file type at a time and run through the output versions 13.1/14/15/16 . etc.

and then import it into MCX6 one at a time until "BINGO" It liked it !!!

Twice in 2 years I had to go through this.

Not worth reinventing the wheel over.

Nowdays if I have an inkling of trouble I email back

"Can you send me a X_T or a SLDASM"

Thank You.......

:)

I have PowerShape / Solid Dr.

and it is 50/50 on fixing the same errors your getting.

Like whats going on here, I had to export through UG one file type at a time and run through the output versions 13.1/14/15/16 . etc.

and then import it into MCX6 one at a time until "BINGO" It liked it !!!

Twice in 2 years I had to go through this.

Not worth reinventing the wheel over.

Nowdays if I have an inkling of trouble I email back

"Can you send me a X_T or a SLDASM"

Thank You.......

:)

If I was the boss over there that is exactly what I would do. However things are to political...

and rocking the boat seems weak to them....not the sharpest knife in the drawer let me tell ya...rour...so it is what it is....