Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Broaching to implement by Mastercam in a CNC milling center

beginner1977

Hi everyone,

I need to understand what follows:

Is it possible to implement and simulate a broaching operation by Mastercam in a CNC milling center?

Case of application: broaching off corner radii of a slot by a CNC broacher.

Toolpath to be implemented:

• plunge in of broacher to a certain Z depth so as to cover the entire Z depth of corner radius.
  • lead out with an arc-shaped trajectory at final depth and return to start position.

Is there anyone who can help me in understanding this topics?

Is there any tutorial?

Thanks a lot for help.

Sorry since Milling is always use it spinning tools and you are asking for a process that does not I would say not possible to simulate it. You can make toolpaths for it no problems, but to get simulation that was set-up for tools in a environment that are meant for spinning I do not see it happening. Easy to make toolpaths with Point to do what you want, but again not something you are going to see simulate. Not sure of any CAM program that can do this. I think Vericut or I-CAM might be able to, but they are meant for High Dollar Machines tools not a simple broaching operation.

HTH (HOPE THAT HELPS)

Okay,

lets talk only about toolpath:

how can I use point to point toolpath to perform an initial straight path followed by a final arc-shaped trajectory?

Thanks a lot for reply

If you draw out the lines and arcs that represent what you want the tool path to look like, you can program it to follow those lines with 3d-contour tool path. You just need to turn off tool compensation. I don't think you will be able to get the arc movements with point-point

Well that is the error on my part since Point Tool path only supports G1 I misspoke when thinking about using that type of toolpath. Will have to use a contour toolpath and then set the spindle speed to 0. It has been some years since I did broaching on the mill, but I want to say I made a post modification using a mi/mr value to change the normal output to be where the spindle speed and everything was not called. If you are a good G and M code person then just do the basic contour toolpath and then make the Spindle and M19 like you need to work. You will get the G1 to G3 or G2 like you are looking for. Again everything in Mastercam mills is designed around spinning tools not stationary tools this si where the edit or paost change comes in to help the process.

Sorry since Milling is always use it spinning tools and you are asking for a process that does not I would say not possible to simulate it. You can make toolpaths for it no problems, but to get simulation that was set-up for tools in a environment that are meant for spinning I do not see it happening. Easy to make toolpaths with Point to do what you want, but again not something you are going to see simulate. Not sure of any CAM program that can do this. I think Vericut or I-CAM might be able to, but they are meant for High Dollar Machines tools not a simple broaching operation.

HTH (HOPE THAT HELPS)

you might not be able to simulate the material removal portion of it but could most certainly set up a machine / the motion to follow no? have the tool-tip a high resolution STL

• 1 year later...

Let me resurrect this thread. I would like to know if there is a way to backplot/simulate a non-rotating tool for the same reason. I don't expect it to verify, but it would be nice to see something.

I'm doing off-center static broaching on a lathe using Y-axis, point toolpath, and pretty much all I can do is use a endmill to plot it.

HTH (HOPE THAT HELPS)

TopSolid will simulate a broaching tool in a milling machine.

Let me resurrect this thread. I would like to know if there is a way to backplot/simulate a non-rotating tool for the same reason. I don't expect it to verify, but it would be nice to see something.

I'm doing off-center static broaching on a lathe using Y-axis, point toolpath, and pretty much all I can do is use a endmill to plot it.

Like I said then, not a way in Mastercam that I am aware of. I do it the same way for a Lathe I make Milling toolpath with Zero Spindle Speed and go from there. Did some parts with some male and female broaching for a Super Nakamura and Verified it looked hack all up, but was able to post it and run it with no problem. Where I let my creative abilities help me get the job done using the tool I have. I know the tool is not cutting in that area and I ignore it.

So the responses to the thread back then and now I wonder how many people are doing this type of work? I figure 2500 to 4000 hours worth of development to support it so do we as a community push for it, or tell them keep working on more important things like HMC Support?

Like I said then, not a way in Mastercam that I am aware of. I do it the same way for a Lathe I make Milling toolpath with Zero Spindle Speed and go from there. Did some parts with some male and female broaching for a Super Nakamura and Verified it looked hack all up, but was able to post it and run it with no problem. Where I let my creative abilities help me get the job done using the tool I have. I know the tool is not cutting in that area and I ignore it.

So the responses to the thread back than and now I wonder how many people are doing this type of work? I figure 2500 to 4000 hours worth of development to support it so do we as a community push for it, or tell them keep working on more important things like HMC Support?

I very rarely have to do this type of work, and it's not important to me to see exact verification. I'll make it work with the tools I have just fine. The only thing that caught my eye was the comment Tyler made about making the tool a high-res STL and I had never heard of that before, so I wanted to res this thread to get more info on that.

Cathedral, what is your tool geometry? I don't have an answer to your question. I am simply curious.

In Mastercam it's just a 1/8 round endmill. In reality it's a PH Horn solid carbide keyway 1/8" broach. I used a point toolpath & transform to G1 into the part, G0 step back, retract, move to new position, repeat.

I'm programming for a y-axis lathe, broaching into corners that are off-center. Since Mastercam Lathe doesn't seem to allow an off-center Y point toolpath, I had to use mill, thus why I'm using an endmill.

post-52560-0-38357300-1420485566_thumb.jpgpost-52560-0-91812000-1420485574_thumb.jpg

So the responses to the thread back than and now I wonder how many people are doing this type of work? I figure 2500 to 4000 hours worth of development to support it so do we as a community push for it, or tell them keep working on more important things like HMC Support?

No, they're better off adding Solid Modelling functionality, and working on MachSim :)

Joking aside, I get asked about broachining/slotting capability once in a blue moon. It isn't that common.

I'm programming for a y-axis lathe, broaching into corners that are off-center. Since Mastercam Lathe doesn't seem to allow an off-center Y point toolpath, I had to use mill, thus why I'm using an endmill.

attachicon.gif1.JPGattachicon.gif2.JPG

Yes I had to do the same thing to a Y offset broaching, but if you break it down to process it really should be a Milling toolpath and not a lathe toolpath by the very nature of the work.

No, they're better off adding Solid Modelling functionality, and working on MachSim :)

Joking aside, I get asked about broachining/slotting capability once in a blue moon. It isn't that common.

Yes I can think of a handful of parts I have done over the years and many of them being in the last year. It would be nice to have, but I see much bigger things to get attention over something of this nature.

Yes I can think of a handful of parts I have done over the years and many of them being in the last year. It would be nice to have, but I see much bigger things to get attention over something of this nature.

Completely agree. It's a neat feature to have, but I would way rather have HMC support then simulation for broaching tools. I do broach on the mill, but it's a more common occurrence on the lathes for sure.

I very rarely have to do this type of work, and it's not important to me to see exact verification. I'll make it work with the tools I have just fine. The only thing that caught my eye was the comment Tyler made about making the tool a high-res STL and I had never heard of that before, so I wanted to res this thread to get more info on that.

In Mastercam it's just a 1/8 round endmill. In reality it's a PH Horn solid carbide keyway 1/8" broach. I used a point toolpath & transform to G1 into the part, G0 step back, retract, move to new position, repeat.

attachicon.gif1.JPGattachicon.gif2.JPG

Ah. I had to do something sortof similar with the y-axis. I wanted to surface a hemisphere that was flush with another surface. I did this with a lathe tool. Because the tool cross section was like a ball endmill in one orientation but effectively dead sharp in the other, I needed tool comp in the x/z plane but not in the z/y plane. I wasn't sure how to go about this in MasterCam. 

• 1 year later...