Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Safely remove hardware

K2csq7

It is a good idea to use it, otherwise its possible the next time you plug it in your computer wont recognize that a device was plugged into your USB port.

Very basically what it does is to let your computer keep track of when something is removed from the usb as opposed to a device in the usb stopping working correctly.

By knowing it was removed the computer can remove the item from its list of what devices are currently on the system.. as opposed to recording it as a device that is still in the system but not responding..

Right click on the drive while it is in the computer and go to properties, policies, and you can set it for fast removal.

Whoa I've never heard of that. I always do "safely remove hardware", until eventually you get the inevitable "can not remove", and then I just yank it out. LOL

Thanks Jeremy!

djstedman, this may be why you have the troubles..... you may have the "better preformance" checked...

BTW, once the proporties window opens, you need to go to the hardware tab and select proporties again to get to the policies window.

post-30600-0-00847500-1365009563_thumb.png

Before I remove a usb stick from the computer, I always go to the safely remove hardware thing and "eject" my usb mass storage device.

Is this necessary? What does it do?

Happy Hump Day!

That is a legacy message for older computers. I used to have that problem on the older BIOS versions. Maybe it is set for fast removal by default now....I never knew about the policies...thanks Jeremy.

I always thought it was to prevent people from pulling out the stick before it is done coping a file. . kinda like the message that tells you to put the cd back in the drive.

I just wait for the steady pulse on the led then it is safe to pull out...because you can pull it out to quickly and get a partial file.

Sometimes the Windows file transfer progress report popup will end before the file is actually finished copying to the flash drive...

I've pulled a USB stick a thousand times without properly shutting it down

and had no problems... but once doing that turned an 8gig memory stick into a read only brick

Wow :shock: that would suck bad....I guess if you had files on it that were valuable, you need to take every precaution then. You couldn't reformat the stick?

Doing it safely, cuts any trickle of power to the usb, that may surge(1-100 chance) .

i used to take it out with out precaution too for many years, with no problems

then i got home, one time, it was blank and i could not work on a rush job.

(hadnt set up desktop remote yet)

I also had a similar problem witha cannon power shot camera and removed

the memory card before shutting off the camera and lost every thing on that full 16 gig

memory stick.

I my case I tried formating it. I could access the data and copied safely

but I could not delete files or create new ones. Can't format either.

Anything I do returns a read only alarm. .. The bick is ruined..

and a little google research leads me to believe it was pulling the stick while

it was in use that caused it.

I think Win8 has settings that allow you to remove USB sticks without safely shutting them down

I haven't tried it out though.

Murlin....NEVER, format a flash drive or ssd... NEVER!

why? i format our thumb drives all the time, we use them to load almost all our programs. sometimes the guys pull them out of the machine without unmounting and that clears them of the old programs that would still be on there that the machine can still access even if you delete them.

I think what Rickster is talking about is using Windows format...Come to think about it, the flash drives I have bought had their own disk utility software with them.

Most of the Flash drives I have had are FAT32(old)... I don't know what format is on my newer ones I bought I only have a 2 and a 4 gig.

But the ones above the 4 gig memory page might need something special...especially for 32 bit machines. I dunno I am just guessing beause I never tried to format one before because I never had a problem...but like I said earlier I always waited for a stead pulse before pulling them out.