Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Startup Fail

Mick

Then when it does fire up I get this little window

hmm_zpsfebfde38.png

I think it says "You been here 4 hour! You go now!"

After running some tests on the Migration Utility, we have narrowed down the problem to the Machine Simulation files in your User Directory (my mcamx6). If you have been working with Machine Simulation, these files in the root of your User Directory gets written and modified with a newer date. The Migration Utility has a problem with converting these files over to your X7 install if the dates don't match up. We are working on a solution to this problem and will keep you posted shortly.

Ok Jim...

I am running Windows 7 Pro on a POS Dell Optiplex and 4GB memory with a Quadro 2000D. All installs are to the default directories. Installed X6 initially as Hasp, later changed it to NetHasp when we moved things around. X7 Beta and X7 were installed as NetHasp.

I had X7 Beta on here before installing X7. I uninstalled X7 Beta but did not clear out the registry before installing X7. Had the trouble mentioned earlier in this thread with the license agreement not displaying and the chinese error (first launch, had done nothing in X7 yet). I used the migrate utility and updated my folders. I pasted my X6 config into my X7 folder because I have heavily modified my config and didn't want to go through that again. I then manually updated all of the links in the files section to look in the new X7 folders.

Then I saw you are supposed to do a fresh install. So I did as gcode said and uninstalled and wiped the registry. Before doing so I made a backup of "my mcamx7" and "shared mcamx7" folders on my desktop.

Reinstalled. After reinstalling I copied my folders back where they are supposed to go. Fired up X7. This time the dialog box to accept the license agreement popped up just fine, but the actual license agreement did not open in Internet Explorer until I accepted the agreement.

No errors this time on launch and everything seems fine and dandy except my X7 icon looks like a Word document or something???

X7icon_zpsf5c9cf61.png

After running some tests on the Migration Utility, we have narrowed down the problem to the Machine Simulation files in your User Directory (my mcamx6). If you have been working with Machine Simulation, these files in the root of your User Directory gets written and modified with a newer date. The Migration Utility has a problem with converting these files over to your X7 install if the dates don't match up. We are working on a solution to this problem and will keep you posted shortly.

In addition to Tom's information the offending file seems to be mwMachSim.ini which is located in the root of your \my mcamx7 You can delete this .ini file and when you start mastercam a new one will be created. By deleting the .ini the scrambled dialog shown above will go away. We are working on a faq entry that will document this and we will post it and make it a sticky. For now, just delete the mwMachSim.ini file and drive on.

It goes without saying.. do not drop your old X6 config files into your new X7 install.

As much trouble as you're having, I wouldn't even run Migration, I'd build fresh X7 config files

from scratch

This is what I'm gonna do.

Well, it worked for one file. But not another. Now how do you get X7 to close? I kinda figured you just click the red "X" but that doesn't do anything :turned:

After deleting "****.ini" file my problems has gone so far

rotary ninja, Part of the issue could be some file in your copied folders from previous versions that are causing the issue. Can you rename your my mcamx7 folder and restart Mastercam and see if the issues go away and stay away? If they do, then start copying files back over - only the ones you think you need, not the entire folder structure and see what happens. This might nail down the culprit which is similar to what was causing the asian looking character start up dialog.

The best thing to do is a fresh install and DO NOT copy any older files from previous versions. If you have no problems, then the problem is most certainly coming from a file coming over in migration or something you are copying over by hand,

Please let me know what you find.

Since doing a complete uninstall, removal of "my mcam7" and "shared mcam7" folders, and the registery cleanout as posted by gcode, my fresh installation seems to be working fine, both on a new, and a previously created file.

As painful as it can be, for me the best approach is to not use the Migration Utility, and set everything manually.

I am home now. I got busy programming a part so as soon as I get that up and running tomorrow I will see what I can do. I managed to get one part to verify without any errors and it was super fast. Good job! I can't wait til ya get all the bugs worked out.

Ok, I wiped everything and did a fresh install. It seems to be working so I will try using it today after I get everything set back up. This may be a good way to get a fresh look at my setup anyway.

I noticed the verify looks kind of... not good even with the precision turned all the way up. Is there another setting for the tool tolerance still?

We're having the same problem here. My colleague's machine fails to launch Mastercam X7 after a settings migration from X6.

He gets the following error dialog:

m0SwA8d.png

I ran a settings migration on my machine as well, and it still launches, but it gives me this error dialog first:

j8qsG6Y.png

I have been trying to sort out my colleague's machine for the past hour or so. I tried moving the four mw*.ini files from the "my mcamx6" folder before running the migration utility, but it made no difference. I will now try clearing the program files and registry folders, but I am still puzzled by the mystery error dialogs.

How was this not addressed during beta? We should not be seeing these issues on production machines.

Maybe everyone in Beta ran the migration utility before this error was created in the programming. Just a guess of course. But seems easy enough for something like this to happen.

I am just continuing to use X6. I have X7 installed without any of my configs and stuff setup in it so I am playing with it. And it works just fine. I will just wait 'til a maintenance update to migrate my configs and stuff over.

I used "Update Folder" instead of the migration utility by the way. And I still had these same problems. Is this the same thing as the migration utility?

Maybe everyone in Beta ran the migration utility before this error was created in the programming

back in X2 days, migration bricked my computer at a very bad time.. I haven't touched it since.

I do migration old school.. by hand

I went into "my mcamx6" folder and deleted the 4 mw******.ini files. Then I ran update folder in X7 and updated my folders. Dumped my keymap and toolbar files into my X7 folder and updated the config to use these and selected my default machine and control definition and everything is working fine.