Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Tool Manager

klgroebner

Hi,

Sorry I don't know answer to your question, I only want to suggest you don't use the new tool manager

because it have many bugs. For example he renumbers tools in library, multiplies tools, changes

coolant settings and many more.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Michael.

You could set up Cut Parameters in the Tool Manager for the different materials, feeds and speeds. After you load the tool into the the operation right click and search the cut parameters. It's worked for me but it can be a little frustrating trying to get the search query to return a result. At least it was until I got used to what it wants.

Yep, it did crash on me during the webinar... I do have all kinds of odd things using 3d programs while I'm doing a goto(meeting|webinar), though... I think it has something to do with the JVM interpretation of the desktop area or something. I hadn't had a tool manager crash since beta 2 before that (of course, it has to happen live!) :)

klgroebner - You can't assign cut information to a material type, only as a cut parameter. On the cut parameters, there's only one feed & speed per parameter, as the point of them is to have a "plug and play" situation where you know choosing the right parameter will give you the proper (and eventually proven!) feed & speed.

Mike - Yeah, it definitely takes a few goes to get your head around what it's asking and how to ask for it. It's the downside of having crazy amounts of power behind it, you have to be quite studious with your library descriptions & organization.

Michael - What kinds of things have you been seeing? Have you been in touch with QC at all?

Thanks Aaron!

I dont remember the error I was getting when too manager crashes and i hasn't happend today yet. I don't have to be working in tool manager for it to crash, I just have it open on the side and it just comes up with an error and closes. If it happens again I will take note of the error and post it.

Michael - What kinds of things have you been seeing? Have you been in touch with QC at all?

Hi Aaron,

Some problem that found in Toolpath Manager are:

1) When I open tool library and create assembly not always possible to drag holder or tool to assembly window

2) When assembly was created, the tool in library duplicated

3) Randomly once yes, once no, some tools were disappear in library

4) When I open tool library from recently opened list, on the start page, Tool Manager stops working...

After I have all these problems some times every day, I just stoped to use new Tool Manager.

To QC all problems were sent today. Waiting for answer.

Sincerely,

Michael.

Here are screen shots of the errors i have been getting. I don't even have to be doing work in toolmanager, it happens when its just open on the side. Any Ideas?

I get the SHELL error all the time also. I can't even get anywhere without it coming up, happens as soon as i try to open a tool.

Is there anything we can give you guys at CNC that might help get rid of this?

Chad

I get the SHELL error all the time also. I can't even get anywhere without it coming up, happens as soon as i try to open a tool.

Is there anything we can give you guys at CNC that might help get rid of this?

Chad

Chad,

If you get it all the time, I'm sure QC would love to be in touch with you, since you can repeat it. Email [email protected] or [email protected] to get started.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if mastercam will have manufacture cut parameters available for download?

I can tell you we're working with the manufacturers now, I'm not sure when we will be ready to start releasing the libraries, but it is under live development.

Gms1 - They're a type of collet, kinda like ERxx collets. You'll find them more in Asia or Europe..

I can tell you we're working with the manufacturers now, I'm not sure when we will be ready to start releasing the libraries, but it is under live development.

Hmmph ... good luck getting consistent speeds/feeds when they are from manufacturers. It's like trying to herd cats. As soon as they know their numbers are gonna be listed side-by-side, the numbers go up. So, converting Mfr SFM to real world SFM requires a factor of some sort, like converting dog-years to human-years.

I say this cause Ive already developed something on a smaller scale, MUCH less ambitious than what CNC Software is doing.. and these Mfrs didnt know they were gonna be listed side-by-side ... and I couldnt get similar tools from different MFRs to mesh.

Hmmph ... good luck getting consistent speeds/feeds when they are from manufacturers. It's like trying to herd cats. As soon as they know their numbers are gonna be listed side-by-side, the numbers go up. So, converting Mfr SFM to real world SFM requires a factor of some sort, like converting dog-years to human-years.

I say this cause Ive already developed something on a smaller scale, MUCH less ambitious than what CNC Software is doing.. and these Mfrs didnt know they were gonna be listed side-by-side ... and I couldnt get similar tools from different MFRs to mesh.

We're hoping that the public shaming that would happen if you started breaking tools due to the recommended feeds and speeds will keep people in line :)

Seriously, there is some range (min/max) things that aren't exposed, but we're collecting data on. The hope is to eventually have a nice adjustment mechanism like a slide-bar or some equivalent to allow you to adjust within the range specified by the manufacturer. So if you find their recommendations are on the high side, you can just slide it down a bit to the level that works with your material and machine.. Think of the ISCAR HEM calculator/HEM Factor thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to work with the Tool Manager today, and almost lost it... The only reason was that I needed to draw a holder to avoid crash, but I can't add a holder i surface-milling?!

When I finally got a tool and a holder to look like an assembly in the new tool manager, and saved it, I can't open it in MasterCam?! WTF?

Every file named *.tooldb is blank when open in mastercam. I'm going balistic over here

Tegheim - I don't know which surface toolpath you're using, but if you're using the one of the old ones that haven't been rewritten into the new interface yet here's a handy trick you can use to get it to load your tool holder using the new verify/backplot:

Create a "dummy toolpath that does support loading the holder first, make sure you load the tool as an assembly (don't individually load the tool and then load the holder..). Make this toolpath something simple that doesn't interfere with what you're trying to see/test, a small circle to the side of your part or something.

Then use the new verify/backplot to display those two toolpaths. If you're trying to backplot, just go into Verify in the Ops Manager, and then switch it to backplot by hitting the button on the ribbon bar. It'll keep your tool holder loaded.

I'm not sure what issues you're having with save/open? File > Save As, and then when you Select a (Tool|Holder) library, browse to that file.. Make sure your library selection isn't set to an assembly if you don't have the tools built as an assembly, maybe?