Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

opportunity knocks ?

mayday

If it feels 'right' for you to do it, then there's prolly a reason to do it.. go for it!

quote:

when I was threaten with bodly harm ... when I got married to my wife.

You say that like it's a bad thing.. tongue.gif

quote:

knowledge is the key

While knowledge is key, it is not the key... wink.gif

'Rekd

Yeah Rekd like who wouldn't want to work there. I guess antoher good one was where one of the owners would come in stoned smelling of weed and could not figure out why I got upset we he started cleaning out his loaded pistol in the office I was working in. Gee yeah bad me for still not working there. Yeah looking back on that Thad what is the big deal I should have stuck it out. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Funny had people back in Jacksonville would not hire me to work for them but always brought thier work to where ever I was working cuase I was just smart enough to do it.

Crazy millman

One tip: If the offer is that good, get it in writing. I got burnt BIG time by someone who used to be a friend. I paid for it, and it hurt. Sadly, it makes it hard for me to put trust in people, in this game. Still, my mistake in the first place.

Make sure you get everything tied up right. Other than that, good luck. Move onwards and upwards.

I've got that feeling in me, that I need to move on too...And I'm starting look smile.gif

Cheers,

Mick

Millman,

That was not meant as a personal attack. While moving around and gaining experience in a great variety of things is a GREAT thing, it doesn't look good on a resume.

Imagine a shop running an ad in the paper and they receive 50 resumes. The first thing they're going to do is weed out the "bad" simply by reading them. Not all applicants get to talk to the employer to present themself. If they are looking for a "dedicated" person to fill their slot, a resume with 17 different jobs in 17 years probably won't make the cut. That's all I'm saying.

I have a pretty good idea of what kind of person you are based on reading your posts and our recent emails. Based on that, I'd be happy to work with you and you'd be an asset.

Thad

Mayday

I have been in a similar situation in the past (somewhat in one now) and I know how you're feeling. I actually made the move and f^cked myself because of something similar to what Mick said. I went to work for the same place as a friend of mine because I was bored in my current job at the time and his place was a nice new building with nice equipment, cool guys in the shop, and a couple pretty girls in the office and didn't do the research I should've done before accepting the job. Within 3 months i was looking for another job and after some better researching I found my current job after 1 miserable year. Nobody's fault but mine, just wanted out of my current job and let that cloud my vision when looking at the new one.

If you've seen the 'new' shop and it looks good and you have a little financial cushion so that you can cope with a couple months of job interviews should the job not work out for any reason, I'd say go for it. You seem like a very smart guy so I don't think there would be any problem on your end of the equation, just be sure that you know what you're getting into. It is great that your wife is behind you, I take a lot of strength from the support of my wife and family when making these types of decisions; it sounds like all of the pieces are in place for you, just think it over carefully and be comfortable with your decision.

C

Well my whole point was just dont judge a book by it cover. I have interviewed 100's of guys and I do more than just look at the resume to make my decsion and hope you would to and was just putting out there so that if I am out there looking people will not think negative of me for that.

It is all good here appericate you responding back like that. Well still here since yesterday fixing to go the the airport with these casting so everyone have a good weekend i will probaly sleep most of the day. rolleyes.gifeek.gifeek.gif

This is what I feel like had about 10 sodas to keep me awake.

Crazy Millman

Mayday,

About 2 1/2 years ago I left a job of about 6 years. The guys in the shop were great and I knew I would miss them as well as some of the freedom and respect I had earned in my time there. The place I went to was a larger shop closer to home that promised me higher salery and more focused job responsibilities. The new shop was had hired new managers in the key top positions and they seemed to have a solid vision of where the shop should go and how to get there.

Well 9-12 months in the new managers were gone and things began to look very different. The politics were ugly and the overall environment became rather "pissy" for lack of a better term. After a total of 18 months, I left and returned to the shop I had left previously. The shop I returned to had replaced the VP with a guy I respect very much. Although the owner was unhapy when I left, I gave it to him straight and in a proffesional manner so the door was open to return.

What I learned:

1. Be a pro when you arrive, while you are there and when you leave. Dont burn bridges if possible.

2. If you are good you will probably be missed.

3. Any situation can change at any time.

Bottom line ... glad I left and glad I came back.

I have a couple of rules that I made for myself :

1.never go to the place that your friend works-

you can even unwillingly spoil his position and loose a friend .

2.what you will get from the start that`s what you `ll get ,all the propositions in the near future worth nothing.

3.Don`t change a job only for money ,it must be interesting too.

4.Try not to change jobs frequent , it makes bad impression.

5,. If you think that all the first points are o.k, try it .

And don`t look back. Try never to return to the place you left .

You are not a looser !

6.I was conducting a lot of interviews and it teached me a lot.

If you did also you sure know ,that one stupid question can spoil all.

So the last rule is :

Ask only global ,serious questions .

The less you ask ,the better for you.

I wish you good luck and be brave and decisive as a real Mastercam programer is and if I can help you with smthn, I am always at your service ,sir !

Iskander teh changed 4 jobs in 10 years