Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

x7 depth cuts using 2d chamfer toolpath

Basics

I'm changing the subject slightly, but how are you guys using depth cuts with 2d chamfer? Is the tool plunging straight down on each depth cut or have you figured a way to have a chamfer mill follow the angle of the chamfer to cut a large chamfer? I've always contoured the top of the chamfer and used my chamfer mill defined as a face mill with angled depth cuts to do this. Just wondering if there's an easy way using 2d chamfer?

This is a bug, if you switch from to 2d chamfer to 2d and set the depth cuts where you want then switch back to chamfer, the depth cuts will be grayed out but will still backplot and post with appropriate depth cuts.

Yes, that will work, however if you reopen the depth cuts page you will have to regen the tpath again,... no more death cuts. :turned:

I'm changing the subject slightly, but how are you guys using depth cuts with 2d chamfer? Is the tool plunging straight down on each depth cut or have you figured a way to have a chamfer mill follow the angle of the chamfer to cut a large chamfer? I've always contoured the top of the chamfer and used my chamfer mill defined as a face mill with angled depth cuts to do this. Just wondering if there's an easy way using 2d chamfer?

I just use depth of cut, then turn on lead in/out so the tool isnt exactly plunging straight down. i have contoured large chamfers it like you describe when using a highspeed feed mill using angled depth cuts.

This is a bug, if you switch from to 2d chamfer to 2d and set the depth cuts where you want then switch back to chamfer, the depth cuts will be grayed out but will still backplot and post with appropriate depth cuts.

Nice, I have been creating multiple toolpaths, this will help tremendously until they correct this issue.

I just use depth of cut, then turn on lead in/out so the tool isnt exactly plunging straight down. i have contoured large chamfers it like you describe when using a highspeed feed mill using angled depth cuts.

Thanks PaceToolmaker, I was wondering if there was something new in X7 that allowed you to do this with 2d chamfer. I guess not.

• 4 weeks later...

If you set your 2D chamfer, generate, go back in change it to a contour, set depths of cut, regen then change it back to Chamfer you get your depths of cut

PITA but it gets it for now