Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling a circular groove

PJ1954

I have a simple question, I have to mill a round groove in a casting. The rough groove is cast in and I have to clean up the side walls and bottom. I do not have a model of the part just a print.

To the question, how do draw it and then what toolpath do I use to process it?

I am using Mastercam 4x.

Can someone help.

Thanks

Pat

create a point at your radius,

translate that point 1degree, 359 times...make sure you copy-not move

connect each point using the spline function

break the spline at the three o'clock position so you have a start and stop point.

this should work for you. good luck

• Like 1

360 points, 180 points. What's with all the points? Machining splines gives crappy results anyway.

Make 1 full circle, draw a single line through the circle at the angle you need to start your cutter at. Break at intersection then delete the lines.

You could also just break the circle into multiple entities then Xform rotate everything the to the correct position for starting the cutter.

K2 and Pilot pretty much nailed it. With a 2d circle tool path you don't even need a break, under cut parameters select your start angle, under finishing transitions you have your entry options.

• Like 2

360 points, 180 points. What's with all the points? Machining splines gives crappy results anyway.

Make 1 full circle, draw a single line through the circle at the angle you need to start your cutter at. Break at intersection then delete the lines.

You could also just break the circle into multiple entities then Xform rotate everything the to the correct position for starting the cutter.

K2 and Pilot pretty much nailed it. With a 2d circle tool path you don't even need a break, under cut parameters select your start angle, under finishing transitions you have your entry options.

if you look at this image you would know what alloutmx was talking about----see now you know!

post-39394-0-21951200-1373839178_thumb.jpg

Go to the center of your hole location feed to depth G13 I=(radius of cut) feed out. Man some times you got to love the Haas machines.( Let the games begin )

just messing with ya--you guys should get out more :smoke:

Yeah they should. I started laughing as soon as I read it.

Cast groove finish dim's are 315 mm OD dia and 261.6 mm id dia and 11.98 m deep. There is approx 2.54 mm cast stock on all three sides. I want to be able mill each side and drop my Z depth on each pass. I just have not been able to fine an option on $x to do that. I want to control the diameter with a wear offset.

I am just trying to keep it as simple as possible. I have a series of castings I have to do this to.

I'm not sure I understand what you want to do. Is it a groove with a radius on the bottom of the groove or a groove that has recessed radii? For recessed grooves: Draw the 2 dimension circles. For under cuts I draw the circles for the steps and make the geometry picks. As far as a tool goes, you just have to find a t-cutter with the shape and radius you want or get a custom tool made. Do a "contour" mill and adjust your lead-in/lead out so the cutter doesn't violate the two geometry circles. Set tool compensation to "wear." Set your depth of cut and "keep tool down." and then choose "depth of cut by" by depth or by contour. It seems that in this case, you want to use "by depth." If it's a groove with a radius on the bottom, just use the same approach but no need to add the circles that show the recess.

I hope this helps.

"The groove is cast in, i have to just clean the walls and bottom. I can write it by hand (??????) but i want to be able to use the wear offset to control my diameter dimensions."

A simple 2d contour pass with multiple depth cut cuts will do this with wear very easy.

Cutter = 80.mm x 6.mm Slot mill. Diameters as stated with a 11.98 wide groove. Finish pass at .2354 + 6mm cutter width + 11.98. Two cuts.

post-18319-0-58806900-1374534359_thumb.jpg

post-18319-0-22055700-1374534372_thumb.jpg

post-18319-0-88180000-1374534399_thumb.jpg

post-18319-0-97284400-1374534408_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...
34 minutes ago, Regor said:

Milling a circular groove.

i am making a tube rolling die, i need to mill three grooves with a tube diameter radius at groove bottom, i will need to use a rotary 4th axis, any help is vastly appreciated .

You will need to attach a valid Mastercam file with the part correctly set up. No one will help you if you don't at least try.