Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 SPEEDS AND FEEDS CALCULATOR STILL BROKEN?

neurosis

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2013 at 8:39 AM, Neurosis said:

Here is an image of the calculations that are going on.

I have no idea what is causing this to happen.

Just a thought...

check your config file and confirm that X7 is using the X7 feeds and speed database

see screenshot

Gcode,

Yes, it is using the correct library.

I sent this issue in to my reseller the day after X7 came out and they confirmed that there was an issue and I was told that they had contacted Mastercam and had filed a bug report (never received confirmation or a bug number). They were able to repeat the same issue so I know that there is a problem that is not limited to my installation.

This is why I am surprised to see this issue still here after two service pack releases. That and the fact that it was working perfectly in X4, X5, and X6 (it was broken in X3).

Neurosis - I don't know how your numbers got that way, but your second post shows that your feed per tooth base # is 100 inches/tooth and the % override for the material cut is 1000%.

I don't know what tool library/settings library you're using, but on the default setup, the FPT is set to .004 and the % Material Cut Speed is set to 100. See if that makes a difference for you..

Edit: The Default % per tooth is default to 50% per tooth, not .003. I think you have a few numbers that got jumbled :)

post-12334-0-81211000-1374782301_thumb.png

I have tried the original default material, and several custom "default" materials with different numbers in it and the numbers never seems to calculate properly.

The numbers in the Define Tool dialog would work out if the calculations were working properly. If you look closely at the settings you will understand what I am saying. This "material" was created so that you can enter actual sfm and ipt in the

% of material cut. speed

% of material feed p. tooth

Capture4_zpsee0f3bab.jpg

and the numbers will work out properly in the

SPINDLE SPEED [REV/MIN]

FEED RATE [iN/MIN]

boxes. If you look at my second post and check those two boxes you can see that the spindle speed and feed rates are correct in the calculator.

I want to make this part perfectly clear so dont take this as yelling: WHEN USING THE CALC. SPEED/FEED BUTTON IN THE "DEFINE TOOL" DIALOG! is where the problem is.

Capture3_zps97a78516.jpg

I created this particular library so you can see that the initial calculations are working out properly but the calculated numbers in the Define Tool dialog do not. It is when you click the "update" button in the calculator, then in the tool define dialog, click the "calc. speed/feed" button that it gives the crazy numbers. It does not use the percentages defined in the calculator.

Ive written out a procedure to reproduce this problem. That is how my reseller was able to reproduce it.

I can paste it in here if you like. The last time I did that nobody responded afterward.

:edited: Sorry for the mess. I edited this and added some pictures for clarification.

I'll put this in a very easy way. ;)

When you enter these numbers:

Capture4_zpsee0f3bab.jpg

Using this material that I have created, the calculator gives you these numbers:

Capture5_zpsff7ae1f0.jpg

Which are correct.

1/2 endmill @ 1000 sfm = 7640rpm

.003 ipt x 3 flutes @ 7640 rpm = 68.76 ipm.

But when you hit the "UPDATE" button, and then hit

Capture8_zps0680b1c9.jpg

It gives you

Capture6_zps7229aafb.jpg

Which is horribly incorrect.

If you look at the bottom two boxes in the image above, the %of material cutting speed and %of material feed per tooth are not carried over from the material. Where is that 50 coming from? I didnt define that value anywhere.

The numbers 1000 and .003 should be carrying over and then calculated from the material.

I'd say (like I think Aaron has alluded to) that if you set the Tool Definition settings for No. of flutes, % of cutting speed and % of FTP to the the same values as the Feed/Speed calculator, then you should get the correct numbers.

The Calculate feeds/speeds button in Tool Def. page takes the flutes and % values from the Tool Def page, not the feed/speed calculator utility.

I'd say (like I think Aaron has alluded to) that if you set the Tool Definition settings for No. of flutes, % of cutting speed and % of FTP to the the same values as the Feed/Speed calculator, then you should get the correct numbers.

The Calculate feeds/speeds button in Tool Def. page takes the flutes and % values from the Tool Def page, not the feed/speed calculator utility.

You are correct, but if the calculator is working properly, when you hit the "update" button those values are automatically carried over. What is the point of opening the calculator if I am going to have to re-enter the values manually anyway? ;)

It works fine in X6, and has been working since X4. It worked prior to X3 but was broken in the same way in X3. I made a post about it back then as well. Now it is broken again in X7.

It would be nice if in the operations "Tool" page, there was a "save to tool" button for the speeds and feeds. ;) I would never worry about this issue again.

• 7 months later...

So I have run into the same issue op had. I have had this happen to me in the past, with other mastercam versions, it would be one or two toolpaths that would not update with the correct feeds and speeds. Today I just finished programming a large project and went to calc feeds and speeds and every single tool will not calc the correct feeds and speeds. When I manually type in the feeds and speeds in the tool parameters, I know that will work, but the toolpaths will not update. I tried doing what others have suggested in this thread, but nothing is working. I saved some of the geometry to a separate file and imported the toolpaths from the current file and that does not work.

I started a new file and made a quick toolpath and had no issues, so somewhere along the way

Is there a way to salvage this without having to redo all of the toolpaths, that would be great.