Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Updating Computer

ToolMan184

Hey guys,

Im updating work stations again. Take a look and see if Im missing anything.

Processor

Processor: Intel Xeon Dual Six Core E5-2620 Processor (2.0GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo)

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional

Hard Disk Drive

256 GB Solid State Drive

Memory

32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM

Media Bay

16X DVD +/- RW Drive

8X DVD ROM Drive

Video

1 GB NVIDIA Quadro 2000,Dual Monitor,2DP and 1DVI

Base

Dell Outlet Precision Fixed Workstation T5600, 825W Tower

Software Upgrade

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Operating System DVD

If you can step up to a Quadro 4000 you should, made a huge difference in X7 over our old quadro FX1700 card

Just a side note, if you can test the build before commiting do so as our new build here won't run any of the "opti toolpaths" (very frustrating) and yet another build almost identical will !! really struggling to work out where the issue is.

Depends on a couple of factors, are you upgrading these through Dell, or on your own?

I don't know how flexible you are with different options but I would first recommend an i7 3770k instead of the 6 core xeon.

Instead of a 256 GB SSD, why not go for a 128? Install MC and your OS on the SSD as well, run a 500GB HDD Slave in your secondary. SSD's are still very pricey, especially anything over 128+ GBs

RAM looks good, what kind of motherboard?

What kind of Power Supply?

And lastly, I'd shoot for a Quadro 4000. You might be surprised on the savings you'll get from the 256GB SSD to the 128.

Instead of a 256 GB SSD, why not go for a 128? Install MC and your OS on the SSD as well, run a 500GB HDD Slave in your secondary. SSD's are still very pricey, especially anything over 128+ GBs

I would say the opposite on the SSD. I have a 500GB SSD as my only drive, and it's 3/4 full. Loading and saving large files on the SSD is SOOO much faster than on a HDD. I keep a local copy of the company's network drive so I can access stuff faster, and monitor changes when I sync with Beyond Compare. Looking to add a second SSD to move the database to soon.

The 3770K is a pretty good chip. I've had a few occasions when a couple more cores would have helped a bit, but no need for a dozen. I've also had a few times when my 32GB RAM was paging to disk and I was wishing for 64.

Jay, Yes its from Dell. I was looking yesterday at the outlet store and they had this box for a little over $2K which is a good price. But, I did some research last night and decided to go with the i7 chips since it seems they are faster. I am going to stay with the 256G drive as they have came way down in price. I keep my files on a server any ways so space isnt a huge issue. I will look at the 4000K card.

Wish I could change the chips in this box from the xeon to the i7. I would order it today.

OK Guys, does this one look better?

Case: Thermaltake Urban S71 Full-tower Windowed Chassis

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer HCG-850M ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply

Socket 1150 Haswell: ASUS Desktop Board Haswell Z87-PLUS LGA1150 Intel Z87 Express Chipset - Socket H3 LGA-1150 (New)

Intel LGA 1150 CPU ( Intel 4th Gen Haswell): 4th Gen Intel Core i7 i7-4770K 3.50 GHz Processor - Socket H3 LGA-1150 CPU (Stock Cooler Included)

Upgrade From Stock Intel Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer Universal CPU Cooling

DDR3 Memory Options: Crucial 32GB kit Ballistix DDR3 1600Mhz (4 x 8 GB)

PCI Express Video Card: PNY Quadro K4000 Graphic Card - 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM - PCI Express 2.0 x16 - Full-height

SATA Hard Disk: Samsung 840 Pro MZ-7PD256 256 GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

Optical Drives: LG GH24NS95B 24x DVDRW Super Multi Drive

OS: WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 Bit OEM 1PK License and Media - OEM - 1 PC - English

I'm not up to speed on all these different processors.

Jay, you said look at the i7 3930K. Would this i7 4770K be better? What am I looking for exactly?

to quote the CPU Boss website comparison between the two: "the 3930K: a marginally slower processor, when it comes to raw speed, but the amount of load it can handle makes it the better choice for people who expect their computers to be able to handle a large amount of programs all at once."

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-3930K

Dan,

I got with my IT guy, he said we may go ahead and put another drive in just in case since its not that much of a cost. Whats another $150 or so with a box like this anyways.

Jeff,

I done more research last night and the 3930K is the better chip. I think I am going with the newer 4930K chip for almost the same money but a little faster.

I almost have the build components nailed down. Any suggestions where components can be purchased for the best prices. Or, is it better to buy from several places?

I try to get at least 4 years and sometimes 5 if I can out of my boxes so I dont cheap out. I see so many small shops like myself cheap out to save money and it cost them every day. Not only with computers but tooling. I had a guy not long ago ask me how I could afford to use carbide cutters. I said are you serious, how can you afford not too. He still uses China made HSS.

Any suggestions where components can be purchased for the best prices. Or, is it better to buy from several places?

It's hard to beat Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com

Newegg has free shipping on a LOT of items, and those 2 sites are pretty comparable in price.

I find Microcenter to be a bit more expensive.