Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc O-t Lathe Post Processor

jimtoolman

I am new to Mastercam, I have only been using it for about 3 months. One thing I have found is that the weakest point of MC is the post processor. At work I program two different CNC Mills and a CNC lathe. The mills both program nicely, very few problems encountered at all. However, we have concluded that Mastercam is virtually useless to us to program the lathe for anything other than OD turning and simple facing.

The CNC lathe is a Romi with a Fanuc O-t control, and I have looked at the post processor and it was originally written for a Fanuc 6-t control. Is the such an animal as a Post Processor that was written for the Fanuc O-t? I am asking this because the post doesn't work at all like it should. It posts the M03 sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, it will post negative numbers for X and cause crashes, it will post G00 on lines without an X or Z, it will not program rapid retracts, etc, etc.

Is this an issue that I need to take up with the guys we bought Mastercam from or is there someplace I can get a working Post for this machine that won't get my boss steaming mad because it costs another $1500.

BTW we are using MC9, but we also have an identical machine that is using MC72, both machines are having similar post problems.

Thanks for you help,

Jimtoolman

Jim,

I'd be curious to know if you get the same results

with the stock mplfan post. I've been using Mastercam lathe since v6 and havn't seen any of this.

Sometimes V8 would retract to a negative x value

when doing ID groove or undercuts eek.gif , but I haven't seen this in V9.

Using a V7 post in V9 may cause some of your trouble has well.

There are dozens of new posts on the v9 install disk. I'm sure one of them will be very close to what you need.

Well Jim I am sorry to hear that your are not using such a powerful program to its potentinal. I think if your boss is the type to pay $10,000 dollars for a program to not use it then hey its his money to throw away. If you have had it for 3 months and dont think you should learn the post modifaction then I think you would need to then pay for the service of someone's time. If you have wasted 10 hours week not having the post at a $50 dollar and hour shop rate that comes to a grand total of $6000 in the last 3 months, but by what you say seems like you have had it for years upon years which in one year has cost your company possibly $26,000 a year for how many years has your company thought it was wrong to spend $1500. So your boss has choosen to be what I call as penny wise and $100 dumb.

Funny when I hear this statement:

quote:

we have concluded that Mastercam is virtually useless to us to program the lathe for anything other than OD turning and simple facing.

I hope your company can see the way they can get themselves out off a hole and help them do things a little more profecient.

Crazy Millman

quote:

One thing I have found is that the weakest point of MC is the post processor

What are you nuts!!! mad.gif

I believe that is one of it's strong points. No I don't do any lathe programming in here, just mill.If you sit down, take the time and study up on post writing/editing you will realize that you can make the post do whatever you want it to do. I understand that you just started with MC and it could be very frustrating at times, but hang in there it will all come together. There are some great minds to help you in here. In the meantime you might want to order a copy of the Post Processor Guide from your dealer (very cheap) and study up on it.

Rob

I use mcam lathe every day for 2 years now.

Never had these problems you talk about.

As stated,try the post "out of the V9 box".

Where you are new to the forum,I am guessing that you may be new to mastercam.(dont get mad for this statement) Just a guess. wink.gif

The good thing that you have going for you is that you have come to the right place for help.

The guys here are just dying to help each other out.

So stick around and enjoy this great place.

Ps...Thank you for not blatently asking for a free post for that OM. cheers.gif

OK

Time for the dissenting viewpoint.

When I first started using Mastercam Lathe I looked at the posted programs and said "What am I supposed to do with this garbage?" The geometry was always good but the formatting with MPLFAN in its 'stock' condition just contains too much garbage.

Before everybody freaks out and starts flaming me for 'bashing' CNC Software and tells me how great the post is just relax and read the rest of what I have to say.

I understand that some people want vanilla and some want chocolate so the CNC postwriters include every formatting option and let you select what you like and don't like, which is very nice once you know how to clean it up, but creates somewhat of a mess when you don't.

Since I knew NOTHING about post editing, which is where I believe our new member is now, I thought "this post sucks" and I also thought that I'd have to pay untold $1000s to get my output the way I wanted it. I was wrong on both counts; very simple post mods can take care of almost all format / output issues in minutes and your dealer should walk you through it or do it themselves for free or very little $$. My posts now output my code in very specific formats, probably unique to us, with no edits at all.

As far as the spindle on commands not being there and negative moves and no rapids and all of that; typically not the post.

Please upload a file to the ftp and post 2 samples of code: 1) like you want it 2) as posted

lets figure things out

C

quote:

negative moves

My experience with a 6T left me scratching my head wuite a bit when I first started into this business. It was on a MoriSL7 and the axes were defined as X-ve as the rule and all the G02/G03 moves were reversed and all sign conventions were not what I expected. I had to hack thru a Smartcam post but perservered and made it work.

I suspect that you are using the 6T post as the start point for the 0T and that could be causing the problems. Chris' suggestions will work and MPLFAN will be the first place I would start as well.

You are indeed correct in saying that you should engage your local reseller to assist in the post edits/customization and they should be receptive to assist as it is in thier long term interest to get you on the maintenance program wink.gif

quote:

It was on a MoriSL7 and the axes were defined as X-ve as the rule and all the G02/G03 moves were reversed and all sign conventions were not what I expected

My SL4 is the same

Pain in the butt to manually program but the [hack] post mods are actually fairly simple to make it work.

I wonder what Mori's reason was for this?

C

quote:

My experience with a 6T left me scratching my head wuite a bit when I first started into this business. It was on a MoriSL7 and the axes were defined as X-ve as the rule and all the G02/G03 moves were reversed and all sign conventions were not what I expected.

I having been with my company for over 18 years,we brought cnc's into our plant.

The 1st lathes that we bought were Mori sl6 and sl7's.

And yes minus was away from the chuck on "X" axis.

So for me,this is normal.

But for others,can be confusing.

quote:

And yes minus was away from the chuck on "X" axis.

So for me,this is normal.

But for others,can be confusing.

+1 Bucket...

I'm one of the confused.gif ones .

Three of our verticals have the old Bendix controls on them where Z- is away from the workpiece confused.gif .

Rob

+1 Marc, +1 Chris

If you dont need any extras mpl_gen is the cleanist to start with. but I found it still needs a little tweaking to do what I want it to.

Chris is right I spend most of my time editing

stripping out what I dont need.

I think youll find the posts in mastercam to be a strong point when you get into it a little more.

From my original post.

"Is the such an animal as a Post Processor that was written for the Fanuc O-t?"

I get the following responces:

(paraphrased)

Try the posts on the install disc-

Try mpl_gen.pst-

My boss is Penny Wise-

Talk to my dealer-

Problem creating geometry-

Buy the Post Processor Guide and become a Post Guru-

Try the out-of-the-box post-

Let's figure this out-

Start with mplfan and engage reseller-

[hack] the post processor-

O/T

O/T

Ok my responces to you are as follows:

Try the posts on the install disc- There are no posts on teh install disc that write programs that don't have to be edited.

Try mpl_gen.pst-I did and I still have to edit the programs.

My boss is Penny Wise- I agree he is, he spent thousands of dollars to get a guy to come into his shop and install a program that was supposed to able to do all the things advertised in the magazines, and it doesn't.

Talk to my dealer- I will be talking to him tommorow, however he was the guy who made the post processor we are using now.

Problem creating geometry- If there is a difference in the way I should create the geometry when drawing for the lathe as opposed to when I draw it for the mill, then I probably am doing it wrong, because I am having no problems with the mills.

Buy the Post Processor Guide and become a Post Guru- I thought you guys already were Guru's that's why I came here.

Try the out-of-the-box post- What exactly does "out-of-the-box" mean?

Let's figure this out- Ok, lets's please, for I have no vested interest in whether this gets done or not, I just work there, although maybe not for much longer if I have to use this post processor.

Start with mplfan and engage reseller- I like that suggestion, "ENGAGE RESELLER" sounds like I have some authority, even though he already has his money.

[hack] the post processor- Best suggestions yet, I wonder if someone else has already done this, and could tell me how to do it, when I get done I will gladly send a copy of it to Mastercam so they can provide a working Post to all their customers who are using the O-T control. After all I would hate for someone else to have to fight with the dealers and their bosses because they get stuck with a post that was provided by the dealer that doesn't work.

Thanks to all those who tried to help with this, I am not the guy who bought mastercam, and I am not the guy who paid the big bucks for it, I am just the guy who has to edit every single program that is written for the lathe, because the software doesn't do what it shows it doing when I do a backplot, in my mind that means there is a problem with the post processor.

If I call my dealer and he asks, "What exactly is it doing wrong?" I wouldn't know where to begin. I can't use any programs as written, 100% of the programs we write have to be looked over and edited to prevent them from crashing, and the tooling is expensive.

Thanks to all those trying to help.

Jimtoolman

Jim:

Put up a sample of the bad code and show us where it needs to be changed and what it should look like. We can then make suggestions on how to fix the post. Since you don't want to pay your reseller to do it, you will have to do it yourself.

[ 09-30-2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Marc Lindsey at San Diego CAD CAM ]

Jim,Marc is right.

Put up some code that does work,and then put up code that you are getting from your crappy mastercam lathe software. biggrin.gif

(I can't help but laugh at this,and no I'm not trying to be a jerk)

I use Mastercam lathe everyday and love it.

I can also use 1 post to run on about 5 different fanuc lathe controls.(Dude....it's a fanuc)

IMO,it's not like all of a sudden,YOUR fanuc control speaks a total different language that mine! (unless I missed something 19 years ago)

First things first.

How long have you been using Mastercam Lathe??

3 months????

It took me a while before I stopped bitching and moaning about it,and then learned how to use it.

It is easy to make excuses (and I'm not saying that you are)on something not working right,when it is frustration of not knowing the product.

I know this first hand.

Please put up one of your basic lathe files that you are trying to cut a program for,on the FTP and we will be glad to assist you.

Chris,Andrew,myself,and many others use lathe all the time.

quote:

Try the out-of-the-box post- What exactly does "out-of-the-box" mean?

This is one of the post processors on your V9 disc.

Stop beating yourself down.

Relax and we will get thru this.

You need to show us some code bro. cheers.gif

Hey,there's always tek soft crap eek.gif

Jim, there are switches in the post that may need to be set. I don't think anyone has mentioned them. You might read through the first part of the post to see if there is anything obvious that pops out.

# -----------------------------------------------

# Machine Specific Settings

# -----------------------------------------------

code:

#Machine axis switches, initial

y_axis_mch : no #Machine has Y axis, 0=no, 1=yes

old_new_sw : 1 #Switch old (6T), new (0T+) cycle formats, 0=old, 1=new

Bucket head not that animal tek soft crap still got bad mamories from the early 90's from that software. Still got my copies of the books yes the books that same with just the 3d mill.

Jimtoolman I can understand your frustration but are you repeating someone esle comment or is this really how you feel:

I have no vested interest in whether this gets done or not, I just work there, although maybe not for much longer if I have to use this post processor./QUOTE]

Well I can give you maybe another way to look at it. The more skills you have the more you can get out of life and demand for pay. You sound like a very intellegent person. I hope you have not taken anything said here as a personal attack on you. We all love to help people and will be more than gald to help you if we can I personally dont use Mastercam lathe but I know its potientonal. I think you will find if you can provide the people with the samples and the codes that they can help you get to where you want.

I will also throw this out there. If you get this working right then in the long run doesn't that take more of a load off of you and make your life easier. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well have a good day and good luck with your quest.

Crazy Millman

The answer to your ? is yes.

By changing the switchs in the post all 3 O-t model controls that I know of are supported.

does your code need to look like this.

G50S3000

G0T0303

G96S500M3

G0X1.52Z0.1M8

or does it require a G54, or you have a 6 style

what the post calls old style. I use MPL_GEN.

with the proper switches set you shouldnt have

to edit any thing.

let us know what you need or we cannt help you.

Im still here, but I am not concerned with the lathe problem anymore. As far as I am concerned they can just go right on editing every single program. A wise toolmaker once told me how he felt about our boss when he started ranting and raving about the work not getting done in the amount of time quoted, he would say, "It's not my garage!"

I like Mastercam, I was not trashing the software, but something wasn't done right when the guy installed the software, he was supposed to have edited the post to make it work, that's what he was paid for and that is what should have happened, if I ever invest my hard earned dollars in Mastercam, I would expect to get what I paid for.

I am no longer going to be using Mastercam, but I may keep up with what's going on with it for future prospects.

You guys have a wonderful night,

Jimtoolman

quote:

I am no longer going to be using Mastercam, but I may keep up with what's going on with it for future prospects.

Dude! What are you talking about?? confused.gif

You still havn't posted any code for us to see.

Your not being fair.

Your not being fair to us nor yourself.

You give up too easy.

Even if it is not "your garage" who cares?

Do it for Jim.

When I first started to learn Mastercam,I couldn't get enough,it was like doing drugs fer me.

Don't listen to that stupid toolmaker that you think is wise.

These are just excuses.Have pride in what you do.

Aren't you the "programmer" here.

Why are you going to "let them keep hand editing"?

Man....We are here to help you dude.

This friggin forum has some of the smartest people on the earth!

And I'm not kidding.

Your "post" problem is just a "little speck" in the world,and can be solved here,but you are giving up too easy.

I hate to say it,but I don't go for quitters.

(and I'm not trying to be dis-respectful either)