Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IPM vrs IPR

J. Manwaring

Can anybody tell me if there are any pros and cons to programming in inches per minute or programming in iches per rev.

I had somebody break an endmill because they turned down the spindle overide and of course the feed stayed the same....please let me know if there is a any reason i should not start to program im IPR....ty

Being a Mazatrol guys for the better part of my programming when I 1st got started I can do it either way. Americans are always against what the world does and IMP is one of those things American's IMHO have go so use to that telling them there could be a better way is like telling them the ability to speak more than language is a good thing too. Oh and I have been married to a Brazilian for over 15 years and no I still do not speak Portuguese.

I've been programming for over 25 years myself and have only used G95 for tapping occasionally or on a lathe but when asked why, i could not think of a reason. I know it must be done that way for a reason, there are pros for ipr on a mill, just can't think of a con...

the only real con is that your operators aren't used to it and the numbers don't mean anything to them

the only real con is that your operators aren't used to it and the numbers don't mean anything to them

With the level of operators out there today, the less they "think" they know, the safer we all are....... :)

I do NOT want my operators worrying about things they do not understand

I have seen it so bad in companies where it is like the patients running the asylum. I want the code this way and that way and you must program it so I can understand what is going on. Nope I program it to make the part. If the part is bad tell me where the mistake is and I will fix it and we will go from there. That is the idea of a good programmer they take ownership of the job and make it right, not the person who never took the time to learn how to make the program or do the process.

• Like 2
With the level of operators out there today, the less they "think" they know, the safer we all are....... :)

Exactly. If you can't understand the concept of IPR you have no business messing around with stuff.

Mike

I've seen operators take days hand editing perfectly good files so they look like what they want them to look like.

I've also seen one of my high speed files sit for three days with operators calling in sick

or going home with a tummy ache cause they were scared to death of something new :laughing:

It puts a programmer in a tough spot. A p!ssed off operator can destroy a programmer

with one decimal point... and if you get the whole crew mad at you, even world class files won't run right.

The sweet spot is when to you get the operators to trust you and just run what you give them.

Of course, you've got to give them something they understand,

The down side to that is if they trust you too much they just go for it

At the end of the day the operator is your last line of defense if you make a stupid mistake.

In the end and operator and programmer need a relationship of trust and respect... or things will come to a bad end.

If I screw up I take ownership of the mistake on the spot and most of my operators return that respect.

This is a tough business and the human end of it is just as tough if not tougher than the technical end.

I've seen many a competent programmer fail because he could not establish a working relationship with

his operators.

• Like 1

...Oh and I have been married to a Brazilian for over 15 years and no I still do not speak Portuguese.

Shame on you Ron... :D - It's an easy thing to learn... like German... :sarcasm:

Seriously, I see a big progress here. At least you know we speak Portuguese and not Brazilian... :D

Seriously, I see a big progress here. At least you know we speak Portuguese and not Brazilian... :D

LOL yes funny I am not the dumbest rock. I laugh when I hear people say Mexican people speak Mexican. Nope they speak Spanish. Same thing as people saying we speak American when we speak English.

I can listen to most conversations in Portuguese and understand.

If the rpm gets slowed down the feed does also to maintain the correct chip load.

That right there is the difference. 100 IPM is the same if you programmed it at 10000 rpms and an operator decides to slow it down to 10% on the spindle guess what is probably going to happen to your tool. Now if it were .02 ipr then you would see the machine slow down the feed rate as well. When trying to fine tune a tool I find it is better to work in ipr than ipm, but again it is just crazy talk.

• Like 1

[/size]

That right there is the difference. 100 IPM is the same if you programmed it at 10000 rpms and an operator decides to slow it down to 10% on the spindle guess what is probably going to happen to your tool. Now if it were .02 ipr then you would see the machine slow down the feed rate as well. When trying to fine tune a tool I find it is better to work in ipr than ipm, but again it is just crazy talk.

This is where one would argue. I can't say for all machines but every mill I have ever worked on had a spindle and a feedrate override control. So tweaking the tool with just the spindle override is not as good as being able to adjust feed AND rpm. Yes I know you can adjust the ipr on both controls as well which is getting to my point. There is no real difference between ipm or ipr to a skilled person. An unskilled person should not be touching the overrides anyway.

I don't think Alan Copp's statrement is correct at all . , but Hertz, you answered my question, that is a pro, we all know that unless you have a ridged set up and and the cutters are stuck out to a minumum you can't get optimal use of your cutter, so having it in ipr, you can regulate both your speed and feed seperatly. where in ipr it is always the same, this allows the machinist to adjust both to make up for an inconsistant setup...............thanks people.....forgive the spelling

I don't think Alan Copp's statrement is correct at all . , but Hertz, you answered my question, that is a pro, we all know that unless you have a ridged set up and and the cutters are stuck out to a minumum you can't get optimal use of your cutter, so having it in ipr, you can regulate both your speed and feed seperatly. where in ipr it is always the same, this allows the machinist to adjust both to make up for an inconsistant setup...............thanks people.....forgive the spelling

Yes but with ipr, you still can adjust feed. Don't want to mix up what I was saying. lol