Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T California Traffic, Who does these polls??

Rekd™

They're blowing all this hype about how people are spending so much more time in traffic. Give me a break! They're saying the average person spends 51 hours a YEAR sitting in traffic during rush hour. BS!

I did a VERY conservative estimate of my commute, at .9 hrs a day each way 5 times a week for 52 weeks = 468 hours!

My actual time in traffic is more like 1.0 to 1.5 hrs each way. I don't even want to know how that is gonna calculate out.. rolleyes.gif

OMG, That's between $10,000 and $15,000 EACH YEAR I COULD BE MAKING IF I WERE WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (dollar amounts estimated to keep you guessing)

'Rekd teh anyone got plans/drawings/models/diagrams for a personal helicoptor??

[ 10-01-2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

LoL, Jay!

LA has THE worst traffic I've seen. Been thru there no less than 5 times AT MIDNITE OR LATER and hit freakin' traffic every time!

WTF!

mad.gif

'Rekd teh It's hard to steer with one hand on the horn and one hand out the window!

[ 10-01-2003, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

One nice thing about where I live...

Traffic happens when the neighbors cows get out of his field and we have to help him round them up (yyyiiihhhaaaa).

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it confused.gif . I know you have to get used to living like that. Sure there is traffic here once in a while, but never that bad. I work about 20 miles away from my home and it takes about 15 minutes to travel (25 in bad traffic).

Rob

quote:

51 hours a YEAR sitting in traffic during rush hour

Yeah I heard that too and thought the math must be off. That's only 12 min/day.

If you spend 1 hour per day stuck, that's 11 days/year.

Sweet commute for me. Twenty five minutes of sub rural. On nice days, I stretch it to 40 minutes on the Victory going home; groovin being traffic cool.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I used to commute to OC (Orange County). Not too bad in the morning, 30-40 minutes averaging 55-60. Coming home?? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif 90-120 minutes!! On a good day!!! eek.gifeek.gif

Now, I drive 9.25 miles. If I hit EVERY signal - 20 minutes. I get to drive through the dairies and farms on my way - much more peaceful. Though I could make an extra $10-20k per year if I went into OC, it's not even close to worth it. I live so close to home now I don't miss Baseball/Football games - even if they are a 3:30 in the afternoon. I spend about 2 more hours a day with my family. I fill up my gas tank about every two weeks - depending on how many baseball games and football games I drive to. I've had tempting offers but you know what, no amount of money can make up for time lost with my family - which I why I'll be giving up teaching here pretty soon. You know, it's great teaching, but I love my family. I've got another baby on the way in April too. I was away alot when the boys were younger so I'm going to be there more for the next one.

Geezohman... some days when I take my scoot to work I wish I lived farther away. As it is, it's 3 minutes down, 6 minutes back. (Always catch the afternoon school bus dumping its load).

If it's not raining, snowing, blowing, huffin' or puffin', I can walk down in 10 minutes. Walking back, however, is more physically demanding - it's all uphill, and takes about 20 minutes.

EYHO, Commuters smile.gif

For 16 yrs. no more than 10 min. either way. Aug. this year it all changed. Much better job, more $, and best of all - not working for an idiot. I can actually do my job. No OT here, time away from home is about the same. Gas consumption is hard to get used to-sucks. eek.gif

quote:

Now that Colorado Springs has doubled in size and they have totally screwed up the roads, it is a 45min commute again.... ARGHHHHHH......

where exactly in the springs do you live/work? I've been on the south end for 8 years and have seen my commute go from 12 min to 17 (approx), though I am SOL these happy days when the powers that be decide to completly shut down south academy mad.gif

MayDay, is that the new Hummer? I can't wait to see all the soccer moms, drug dealers, and movie stars driving those around.

The simple solution to traffic is, of course, leave near your work, and work near where you live. Like Mr. Lindsey, I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home, so my commute is all of 30 steps.

Building freeways isn't a solution because they foment the problem of growth and sprawl, making the distance from one end of an urban area to the other longer and longer. In the standard urban area, more than 60% of the land area is already given over to roads. That means that there are already more roads than there are places to drive to!

Old job,old apartment, over hour drive in rush hour. Never again. eek.gif

Currentjob, Old apartment, was 20min, 30+ if I got stuck behind the stupid bus driver who wouldn't go over 40 in a 55. mad.gif It was an empty bus no kids.

Currentjob, current house. little over a mile. About a 5 minute drive. biggrin.gif 10 minutes if I stop off at the Subway to get lunch first.

Bryan smile.gif