Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Opti-Rest

Use the Steep/Shallow settings to control this. What process are you using to control the trim to stock? I use the Verisurf Reverse Add-on to crop my STL files to exact sizes I need. I then save them out as a file and then use that as my CAD file. I helps in reducing the size of the files and also helps me isolate certain areas for roughing without having to have the toolpaths look at these 1 milliom plus face stl files.

Here are some examples and on this one I am doing a 3+2 operation on the 5 axis machine. Part was roughed in a 3 axis machine to keep the one 5 axis machine only doing the needed 5 axis work. The other ones is another section of Opti-Rest doing one section: The last one as the full part.

#1 has 71799 faces.

#2 has 131343 faces.

Full has 779220 faces.

The ability you get to crop your STL files and create slices from the STL to use for other things I think helps people who invest in the reverse module from Verisurf.

Pictures removed to give me room.

Edited by Crazy^Millman

One issue that I noticed before X7 MU1 was that if the area being looked at by an Opti path was below Z0. the retracts would end be well above where you tell them to be and the only way to fix it was to either edit the toolpath manually using the toolpath editor, using a different toolpath, or getting the region being cut above Z0.

The problem seems to have been addressed with the release of MU1 and it only happened with Opti toolpaths for me.

In the Linking Parameters playing with Minimum Vertical Retract or Minimum Distance may help instead of using Full Vertical Retract as shown in your screenshot. Steep/Shallow will also do it as mentioned previously.

I am having a similar if not the same issue with opti-rest. (X7 MU1) I have a containment boundary set, using steep/shallow, retract height and clearance heights set, but the tool will retract above the stock model no matter what settings I use (which is unfortunately about 5 inches above where I am machining). I have tried using previous operations, cad file, and stock model (as 1 operation) for the remaining stock, but get the same result.

file was sent to mastercam to have a look.

first post btw. been watching from the sidelines for a while.... great forum.

Yes, a known issue. We had to change things for X7 which introduced this 'problem'. We did it because people were bumping holders into rest material stock before this change in X7. It was a luck thing, you might go years without any issues and then that one job comes along with the right conditions and your holder collides with rest stock. There was no awareness of the rest stock's update shape as you roughed during linking. We made a quick change to ensure safe motion, which potentially introduces these high retracts. We had to choose safety over potential collisions. We are currently investigating another incremental improvement to address these high retracts. This is a very active subject in Mastercam development at this time.

The whole reason this has come to be is because never before did a rest rough toolpath step down and then step up. Standard rest rough linking could always assume there was no rest stock above the active stepdown so the linker could simply clear the previous stepdown Z location for a retract height, you could absolutely trust in this assumption. Trustworthy assumptions save processing time. But this assumption has proved not true for OptiRest, the linker cannot assume all Z locations above it have been cleared. So the long term solution is to engineer a live in-process stock removal calculation so the linker will know the exact shape of rest material at any given moment in the toolpath when it has to sort out linking. All that while also not introducing significant processing time! That is not an easy project. So for now we have what we have, safe motion, and we are working on yet another incremental solution to improve things further. Then we tackle a robust long term solution...

• Like 1

I am having a similar if not the same issue with opti-rest. (X7 MU1) I have a containment boundary set, using steep/shallow, retract height and clearance heights set, but the tool will retract above the stock model no matter what settings I use (which is unfortunately about 5 inches above where I am machining). I have tried using previous operations, cad file, and stock model (as 1 operation) for the remaining stock, but get the same result.

file was sent to mastercam to have a look.

first post btw. been watching from the sidelines for a while.... great forum.

Very similar problem that was sent to QC, head was tilted over to access some angles slots ,but would retract to some random clearance plan miles above the job on every retract. Anyway I am told it is being looked at.