Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Used Laptop ??

FTI2007

Im looking to buy a used laptop to run mastercam at home. Mainly for home learing/training etc. I was looking at ebay and Im just wondering what are some minimum specs I should look for. I know about a dedicated nvidia grahics card. are there any cards to stay away from? Will most "gaming" machines run mastercam? Im trying to stay under $400. Is there anywhere else to buy good used laptops besides ebay?

here is one example of what I was looking at. what do you think??

DELL PRECISION M6300 Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz 4GB 320GB Nvidia Quadro FX1600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360834127740?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks in advance.

I noticed a link in this recent post... New computer

I am running a similar system as this $300 system ->

Dell M6500

http://www.offleasea...et/Detail?no=52

My setup ->

Not a rocket, but it works for most tasks.

That said, this M6500 is definitely much faster than my previous system, which was a M6300

Dell Precision M6500

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz

8GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M (1GB)

250GB SSD drive

500GB Std (spinning) Drive

so would a i7 at a slower speed be better than a i5 at a faster speed? whats the minimum nvidia graphics card I should consider?

Not necessarily.

The i7 2600K was basically the same thing as the i5 2500k... more or less.

And in some instances the i5 outperformed the i7.

As for minimum card, well it all depends on your budget.

Stay away from any Nvidia X50 cards. they are garbage, go with the X60 or higher cards such as the 660, 760, etc...

if you go Quadro,I think the Quadro 200 is the entry level card but I'm probably wrong on that one. Someone else can answer that.

I have the GTX680 card in my work pc and it's really nice, granted I don't do molds or have massive files, that's where you'd want a Quadro.

That model has the ability to put 2 drives in it. Also you can get Memory to upgrade that to 16 gigs and maybe even 32 gigs. I would that the one that come with it and clone it to a SSD. Then once you make sure all if good then you swap the drives making the SSD your main drive then take the one that came in it your secondary drive. Now you got better speed with better memory. Also if going with the SSD look to Samsung or Intel for the SSD, but make sure you go with the PRO from Samsung and not the EVO.

Ok I was off some by the M6400 in the larger version and supports to full size laptop drives were say a M4600 will support a standard drive and a Msata drive.

Were a M6600 or M6700 will support 3 drives.

Are stuck on the 17" or are you also looking at the 15.6 models to.

the 15.6 models are nice to I own 4 of them two M4600 and two M4700 and looking to get most likely two more of the M4700 this year.

Late arrival here...Anything Lenovo Think pad with a Nvidia chipset.

And your good for home.

I ran a $ 5,000. new, Dell precision whatever in 2010

And a $5,000. + new Sager last year and guess what my lowly Lenovo T61 think pad

"For use at home" costing me $400.00 used off ebay STILL in 2014 gets it done.

Sure the Dell and Sager rocked! on running multiple sessions of SW and MC etc. but for home on a budget

Think pad with a Nvidia Video card.

• Like 1
Another question. Is there a noticeable difference between the core 2 duo and the i5/i7.

Then there is a difference just in the I5 that most do not know. What most do not know is that the I5 comes in two core configurations one Dual core and the other of Quad core.This also the same for I7. then things I look for is how much cache does it have.